Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

Flash 11

Anyone with a rooted v1.3 have any "issues" with the new Flash update to Flash 11?

When I started my NC up today (Wednesday) and d/l it, I could not reboot and spent most of the day trying various combinations until I got things going again tonight.

Rooted 1.3 with 4.5.18 only and did not use 4.6.16 to finish off the root as before.

This allowed me to stop the Flash update and Netflicks is doing just fine.

As to why this happened all of a sudden on a very stable rooted NC is beyond me except for the F11 issue.

Any ideas???

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: Flash 11

Have you uninstalled the Flash that BN installed? 

BN installs flash in /system/app/ which is read only.

The Android market installs flash in /data. 

When Flash tries to update and the old Flash from BN is still around, you get into a nasty boot loop.  I wish that a system flash uninstaller had been added to the MN file set, but I don't think people had quite realized what a headache it was until after most of MN work was done. 

Titanium can reach into /system/app and delete files, so I use it to uninstall flash after I root, then install Flash from the market. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

Aha!

I had completely fogotten about that issue.

Now that I have an up-to-date backup again, I will try that.

Many thanks...I hope!

Inspired Contributor
BanjoBen
0 Kudos

I had the same issue yesterday morning. I had never bothered to uninstall the BN flash and had never had any trouble with it updating itself until yesterday. If you are stuck in a boot loop there's a CW flashable fix over on xda. Once you do that you can update from the market just fine.
New User
Boojum
0 Kudos

BanjoBen wrote:
I had the same issue yesterday morning. I had never bothered to uninstall the BN flash and had never had any trouble with it updating itself until yesterday. If you are stuck in a boot loop there's a CW flashable fix over on xda. Once you do that you can update from the market just fine.

Where can I find the flashable fix on xda?  What's the name of it? A search there didn't turn up anything.

Thanks,

Tim

roustabout
0 Kudos

If you can't find the CWR fix, it shouldn't be too hard to write one.  I could pull apart the noshop/nobrowse scripts and make one an

rm /system/app/Flashplayer.apk script, for instance. 

But - if your device is bootable as of now - installing Titanium and using it to remove flash is simpler. 

Some of the CWR boot modes enable ADB in CWR.  So if your device is on its back right now, with luck, if you boot to CWR and try connecting in over ADB, you'll be able to.  You can mount partition 5 (/system), cd into the app folder and manually fish out Flashplayer.  

I just wish I could give better advice on how it is that ADB can and can't be enabled in CWR - I've never found rhymre or reason to it. 

If you have linux around (even in a virtual machine) you can boot an NC from the Simple Touch rooting disk called "noogie," and all of your partitions are visible to linux when you connect the USB cable.  That will also let you fish out the file. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
roustabout
0 Kudos

No guarantees, but this script should work fine:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tdfyerhonc3oycn

the file is called removeflash.zip.

copy to your CWR bootable sd card.

Install via the CWR install zip / choose zip mechanism.

Reboot and you should be back in business - the script mounts your /system and /media partitions, makes a copy of the stock flashplayer.apk to /media as FlashPlayer.apk.bak and then removes /system/app/FlashPlayer.apk.

Once it runs, remove your CWR disk and reboot. 

I don't have a way to test this, since none of the NCs here still have the file in question....

New User
Boojum
0 Kudos

Awesome, thanks for the help.  I'll give it a try.

Inspired Contributor
BanjoBen
0 Kudos

I see roustabout has already addressed the issue, but just in case, the CW flashable fix is posted here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1208896

Mine was stuck in a boot-loop and I was able to boot to a CW recovery micro sd card, flash the fix and that took care of it.

roustabout
0 Kudos

My fix is not as thorough as the one from xda - mine just deletes the file from /system, Gabe's also goes through /data and deletes all the Flash components there, then installs flash for you. 

I'd be interested to hear if mine does enough of the job to work, but unless someone's already tried it successfuly, the XDA file is a better bet. 

Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

Thanks to "Roustabout's" memory jogging exercise regarding deleting Flash, I used Titanium Backup tp delete the existing version and then installed Flash 11.

All went as it should and I am "back in business"!

For those who specifically want to keep their "in-store reading" capability, I can only say that doing the MN to v 1.3 works wonderfully well and gives me the most simple form of BN and Android access possible. It just works!

At various times in the past I have had CM7.0.3 and Phiremod 6.3 on either eMMc or sdcard along with running BN 1.2 on an sdcard while having either of the previous internal. Have even toyed with the most recent MIUI on an sdcard (simply do not like Honeycomb and its variants).

For my personal needs (especially maintaining "in-store reading") v 1.3 with MN is the way to go.

Thanks again for the help and I will work on my "memory exercises"!