Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
skullmom
0 Kudos

Flash Discount let down!

Has anyone else wondered why B & N has decided to continue to exclude Nook products from yet another type of discount. This Flask discount that is happening today, does not apply to anything Nook related. You also cant us the membership card from them for Nook books or anything else Nook related. Why does this company continue to exclude us from their discounts. I am very unhappy about this.

skullmom
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

Re: Flash Discount let down!

Search "Agency Model" anywhere on the interwebs (this forum included) for why you can't get a discount on ebooks.

(As an FYI, the BN membership does get you a hefty discount on NOOK devices)

Distinguished Correspondent
gabourele
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

a few reason. 1. new nook products come out and they do just like every other business they wait months before putting them on sale every company does this. secondly books are not always priced by bn so using the member card will not work especially on "Agency model" books unless BN wants to face publishers pulling their books. If anything you should be contacting the publishers about this. But like I said BN does not always tie things to their membership many companies do this.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

I got a mailer of discount coupons last month and about half of them were for Nooks and nook accessories.

Contributor
skullmom
0 Kudos

I suppose I should clarify my diappointment. I saw the info on the flash sale today and thought it would be a great excuse to splurge a little and get a book that is a little on the higher price scale for me. I thought that if I had the discount, it would bring the price down to just a little more than I spend on most of my books. I am aware that the membership would help to get a discount on an actual Nook or Nook color, but it does not save us anything on any of the books for them. I have also been told that they do not get you a discount on any other accessories or such for the Nooks (this was said to me by an employee at the store). I just find it very frustrating that we have invested all this money in these devices, but we cant seem to use any of the discount options that they offer to other customers of the stores. I love my NC very much. I do not plan to change that in any way. I just wondered if any one else was disappointed in this as well. For those of you who did share info with me, thank you for your time and consideration.

skullmom
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Lets stop blaming the Agency Model for these exclusions.

Though B&N does not have any say on pricing of Agency Model Ebooks, that is not an excuse to exclude ALL Nook, NC, accessories and products of any kind associated with Nooks.

I've yet to find or recieve a coupon that stated only Nook Books were excluded. The Agency Model doesn't have a single thing to say about whether or not B&N allows their coupons to be used towards B&N's Nook products.

And to exclude us from the membership card as well sucks. Those exclusions can be placed squarely on B&N and no one else. My only purchases from B&N are Nook related. It is especially irritating to get emails thanking me for my purchases, please review and here's a coupon I can't use as a thank you for reviewing them.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

When did this happen? I've refused to get one because it has specifically stated I couldn't use the membership on Nook products. Or is it just the device? Because I have a device, I have two. But I would like to get discounts on accessories. I always read the fine print before I fork over my money, and I did read the fine on the memberships. Of course, I haven't bother to read it in the last year, so it had to have been a recent change.

I know the coupons I recieve regularly in emails make sure I understand that NOTHING Nook related can be used for the discount.

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

When did this happen? I've refused to get one because it has specifically stated I couldn't use the membership on Nook products. Or is it just the device? Because I have a device, I have two. But I would like to get discounts on accessories. I always read the fine print before I fork over my money, and I did read the fine on the memberships. Of course, I haven't bother to read it in the last year, so it had to have been a recent change.

I know the coupons I recieve regularly in emails make sure I understand that NOTHING Nook related can be used for the discount.

As of June 6th 2011 a Barnes and Noble Membership saves you $25 off a NOOKcolor or $10 off any other NOOK device. It's been around for a while now.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Lets stop blaming the Agency Model for these exclusions.

Though B&N does not have any say on pricing of Agency Model Ebooks, that is not an excuse to exclude ALL Nook, NC, accessories and products of any kind associated with Nooks.

I've yet to find or recieve a coupon that stated only Nook Books were excluded. The Agency Model doesn't have a single thing to say about whether or not B&N allows their coupons to be used towards B&N's Nook products.

And to exclude us from the membership card as well sucks. Those exclusions can be placed squarely on B&N and no one else. My only purchases from B&N are Nook related. It is especially irritating to get emails thanking me for my purchases, please review and here's a coupon I can't use as a thank you for reviewing them.

I've used several coupons online to buy Nook accessories.  Generally they won't work in the store, but I've had luck putting the coupon code in when buying Nook accessories, just not the Nook.

Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

I used yesterday's coupon to order the anti-glare screens for my NC and it worked just fine. At first, I thought "no NOOK products" included accessories, but I figured I'd just give it a shot and it went through with the discount. I think the wording is a tad confusing, since they obviously meant no actual NOOKS.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

As of June 6th 2011 a Barnes and Noble Membership saves you $25 off a NOOKcolor or $10 off any other NOOK device. It's been around for a while now.

ah...Still just the Nook Device.........

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

ah...Still just the Nook Device.........

And only a new membership or a renewal, and only once a year, IIRC.

flyingtoastr

Nallia wrote:

Sorta.

You only get the discount on one device per renewal period, but you don't have to get the Membership at the same time as the NOOK.

It works something like this: Let's pretend I bought a Membership on July 1st while buying a bunch of books at my local BN store. That Membership has 1 "charge" associated with it for a NOOK device. If I go in tomorrow and decide to buy a NOOKcolor, that charge is used (my Membership now has no charge left on it) but I get my $25 off the device. If I decide to get my significant other a NST for Christmas in Novemeber I don't get any discount on it (since my Membership has no charges left on it). However, as soon as July 2nd 2012 rolls around and my next Membership term begins I get an extra charge on my Membership, so I can buy the new NOOKsuperspecialawesomeedition at a discount.

If you are like me and your Membership hasn't renewed since before June 6th, 2011 (for instance, my renewal date is sometime in February), you won't get this discount until your next renewal.

As to why the Membership doesn't apply to accessories, I have no idea. It's a decision that coorperate made that I personally don't agree with either.

Frequent Contributor
thecuckoo
0 Kudos

My understanding is that the discount on nooks was if you purchased a NEW membership.  When I bought my new NC on 6/17, I was not given the $25 discount and I've been a member for YEARS!!!!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

thecuckoo wrote:

My understanding is that the discount on nooks was if you purchased a NEW membership.  When I bought my new NC on 6/17, I was not given the $25 discount and I've been a member for YEARS!!!!!

You can only get the discount after your membership renewal.  Also, I don't know the actual date of the start of the discount, but I don't think they started offering it until June.  You probably just missed it.

FWIW, the membership costs $25, so a savings of $25 on an NC and $15 on the N2E is hardly "hefty" as previous poster stated.

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

thecuckoo wrote:

Your Membership gets you different discounts than one purchased after June 6th. You still get the 20% off adult hardcovers whereas a membership purchased after June 6th only gets 10% off. When you renew your card you'll be "upgraded" to a new Membership - you'll get the NOOK discount but lose the hardcover discount.

$25 off a NOOKcolor is a pretty great deal. Not only are you getting the device cheaper (in most states the membership fee isn't taxed so it does reduce the overall price) but you're essentially getting a free 10% off most things in store. That includes things like coffee and toys, not just the books. Even if you're only in the store a couple times in that year it's free money.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Nallia wrote:

Sorta.

You only get the discount on one device per renewal period, but you don't have to get the Membership at the same time as the NOOK.

It works something like this: Let's pretend I bought a Membership on July 1st while buying a bunch of books at my local BN store. That Membership has 1 "charge" associated with it for a NOOK device. If I go in tomorrow and decide to buy a NOOKcolor, that charge is used (my Membership now has no charge left on it) but I get my $25 off the device. If I decide to get my significant other a NST for Christmas in Novemeber I don't get any discount on it (since my Membership has no charges left on it). However, as soon as July 2nd 2012 rolls around and my next Membership term begins I get an extra charge on my Membership, so I can buy the new NOOKsuperspecialawesomeedition at a discount.

If you are like me and your Membership hasn't renewed since before June 6th, 2011 (for instance, my renewal date is sometime in February), you won't get this discount until your next renewal.

As to why the Membership doesn't apply to accessories, I have no idea. It's a decision that coorperate made that I personally don't agree with either.

Thanks for the clarification.  :smileyhappy: