Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
louieMF
0 Kudos

Flash Update

Does any one know,

A) When the flash update will be coming out so we can watch Video?

B) Will we ever be able to buy Music from BandN.com on to our Nook color and Audio Books?

Thanks!! I love my Nookcolor!:smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Re: Flash Update

Answers,

A) No one knows, but probably before April.

B) No one knows.

You are welcome!! I love my Nookcolor too!:smileyhappy:

Correspondent
NookVine
0 Kudos

You can use the mobile version of youtube for the time being, which works for me.  I am guessing this site is popular with the iPhone and iPad owners.

http://m.youtube.com

Dan

NookVine.com - A commentary on the Nook and Nook Color e-reader devices.
New User
louieMF
0 Kudos

Awesome. Thank you for your honesty. I will be patient.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Meanwhile, if you have some favorite videos of your own, you can convert them to MP4 using a variety of downloadable programs (DVD Catalyst seems to be a popular one, easy to use).

I too think it would be nice if we could buy music thru BN, and maybe even videos!  Or even better: rent them like you can from iTunes.  Someday, maybe!  I know this is whole new territory for BN so it might take a while.  I just find the Shop function on the NC so easy to use, I know I would buy even more than books if I could!

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

Whoa...renting videos from B&N and downloading right to the NC would be AWESOME!!

Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

I attended a "Nook Night" last week in Amherst, NY, and the person who led the class said that the Flash update is expected to be out sometime in March.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

cindylee60 wrote:

Whoa...renting videos from B&N and downloading right to the NC would be AWESOME!!

Might I humbly suggest we wait for B&N to upgrade their servers first?  Can you imagine the holiday debacle had people been downloading video too?   :smileysurprised:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

riffrafff wrote:

cindylee60 wrote:

Might I humbly suggest we wait for B&N to upgrade their servers first?  Can you imagine the holiday debacle had people been downloading video too?   :smileysurprised:

B&N needs to upgrade their servers and have their web site completely redesigned.  They need to change ecommerce providers too.

Distinguished Correspondent
yoshipumkin

I would be tickled if I could listen to my Audible books on my Nook!

Distinguished Correspondent
MiniMischief
0 Kudos

yoshipumkin wrote:

I would be tickled if I could listen to my Audible books on my Nook!

I know!  I'm hoping there will be an app for that in the store when it arrives.  The biggest hurdle I see is that Audible is owned by Amazon.  I broke down and bought an iTouch for my Audible Library (after my 2004 ipod finally gasped its last), but it will gather dust if Audible will work on my NC after the upgrade, etc.

For those of you who don't know, Audible content is protected by DRM and the NC can't access it at this time.  But here's to hoping!

Life is too short to read bad books. . .
Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

riffrafff wrote:

cindylee60 wrote:

B&N needs to upgrade their servers and have their web site completely redesigned.  They need to change ecommerce providers too.

And hire more tech-knowledgeable customer service people, or just train them better. :smileyhappy:

Reader
Ramseylaw
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I can suggest another good video site:  DailyMotion.

The have an HTML5  beta that works great with the Nook Color for video.  You have to enable the beta here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/html5

I'm hoping for a netflix app.  

Also, to those above regarding the B&N servers and Video...How many of you actually go to the book store to watch video.  I should hope that the Internet connection at any particular store can hold up to 6-7 medium quality streams at once.  possibly alot more if they have high-end business connection.  

http://www.power-tablet.com/

Favorite things:
http://www.power-tablet.com/
1978 300SD Benz running on Veggie oil, 2010 Aprilia Sportcity 250, 1981 Honda Passport 70, Nook Color

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Regarding Audible.com which it was pointed out is now owned by Amazon. You used to be able to download non-DRMed mp3s before Amazon. Now, you are limited to authorized devices and must use this bloated piece of software to authorize the use. I had an account with some free books built up on it and hadn't gotten my free books ubtil Amazon had changed things. I installed the software, went to download but saw my previous use no longer existed. I decided to forget about the free books, removed the bloatware, and will never use Audible again. Amazon ruined it.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.