Inspired Contributor
Triggerone
0 Kudos

For those of you with IPAD along with your NC....

I'm going to buy my mom an ipod touch 4 (facetime) for Mother's Day.  And I keep looking at the ipad 2 (with that ingenious smart cover).  I'm wondering if it's worth it.....even the wifi only is a chunk of change.  In general, I don't care for the Apple business model of you can only do what apple says and only put on your tablet what apple says.  But that is a beautiful tablet and I do love the cover (I know - stupid reason to buy something).  Full disclosure, I once bought an car because the radio was incredible - one of the first digital signal processing radios and it made everything sound fab.  The rest of the car was great as well, but the radio was icing on the cake....and I drove it for 13 years before selling it and buying another of the same make.

Anyway, I'm wondering how those of you with ipad's feel about the product.  Does it work well for you?  What are the limitations of the device?  What don't you like?  What do you like?  Besides the obvious differences between the ipad and ipad2, anything else I should be aware of?

Don't get me wrong - I love my NC and don't see myself reducing my use of this product.  It's really fabulous for reading at night, on the back deck with an adult beverage, surfing that cloud computer in the sky, etc.  It's been on vaca with me as well, and I suspect it will continue to do so long into the future.

Thanks for your insights.

Triggerone

Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin
0 Kudos

Re: For those of you with IPAD along with your NC....

Well, I really wanted to go with the iPad, but the fact that they are incapable of running FLASH content kept me away. I love the design and look of the thing, though. The price is a bit high, but it's about the same as comparable devices. One major drawback for me is the size. I recently purchase (and then took back!) the Motorola XOOM tablet which is about the same size as the iPad. The size was just not practicle. It was just a bit too big to comforably carry around. But this is just my personal preference, and others may think it is perfect. It all depends on what you're looking for and what's comfortable for you.

Contributor
Cut-Throats
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I purchased an iPad 2 WiFi only just before someone broke into my home and put the CM7 stable root on my NC using the amazingly clear YouTube video from Huskermania.  (:smileywink:)   I am not really sure which I prefer!   I bought an iPod Touch for my wife on Valentines Day and because the apps were so cool, I started looking at the iPad.   For example, the interactive Pat the Bunny app and The Civil War app are very well done but not available on android.   I have the Nook and Kindle apps on both and enjoy reading on both devices.   For "in the bed but not bothering my wife" reading, I prefer to NC because it is more substantial and easy to hold.   I have strategically placed some pillows next to the bed despite my NC absorbing a couple of falls without damage.  Derwin is correct about the lack of Flash being irritating but SkyFire provides access to many webpages containing Flash.  Also, I will be getting a case for my iPad because it feels flimsy in my hands.

This may be one of my greatest accomplishments in 39 years of marriage...convincing my "Dave Ramsey loving" wife into letting me keep both devices.

It's what I do...
Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

Re: For those of you with iPad along with your NC....

Don't forget that you have to have iTunes on your computer. My sister is a recent Apple convert and got everything Apple, main computer, iPads 1 and 2, an Air, iPhone, Apple TV etc.

She keeps telling everyone who asks about the iPad that you have to have iTunes.

Fortunately :smileywink:, I have never been able to get iTunes running on any of the Windows computers that I've had.

Contributor
DogDoc2
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have both the iPad and the NC. I am not an Apple fan, but bought an iPad for my wife. She is not the most computer literate person and the iPad is simple to use. After playing with hers for three days I had to buy one for myself. I never leave home without it. I use it in place of my laptop for many things and also as my Day Planner/email. It is great at night for surfing the internet in bed. With that said, it does not replace my NC. For reading books and magazines, it doesn't get any better than the NC.

BTW: I have never had a problem installing and using iTunes on any of my Windows PCs. I currently have iTunes installed on Both Windows 7 and XP computers with no issues.

nkr
Frequent Contributor
nkr
0 Kudos

Like you, the Smart Cover really caught my eye in the iPad 2 videos, but after using a friend's iPad 2 I wasn't really impressed with it.  When folded back, it doesn't always stay put.

Flash is a problem for all tablets manufacturers.  It doesn't play nice with any on the market now.  

Apple has refused to include Flash, in it's current form, on the iPad which will force Adobe to clean up its act.  Apple has the tablet market share to force Adobe to make changes.  When it all washes out, this will be a good thing, IMO.

So, if Flash is very important to you, the iPad would not be a good choice now.  Millions of folks have decided that the benefits of the iPad far outweigh the absence of Flash.  If you can find a tablet that runs Flash without glitches, I'd go for it.

When the update comes from B&N, I'll be interested to see how well Flash works.

Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin
0 Kudos

nkr wrote:

So, if Flash is very important to you, the iPad would not be a good choice now.  Millions of folks have decided that the benefits of the iPad far outweigh the absence of Flash.  If you can find a tablet that runs Flash without glitches, I'd go for it.

When the update comes from B&N, I'll be interested to see how well Flash works.

Flash seemed to work very well on the Motorola XOOM tablet which I owned. Websites would come up incredibly clear and the flash application ran perfectly. I'm hoping it will be the same way on the NOOK with the update. If not, I'll look into getting Honeycomb on the NOOK. Still a bit of research to do before taking that step, though!

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I use Windows and I get iTunes with no prob. I have an iPad but tend to pick up my NC way more. I do not read on my iPad, but I do watch purchased movies.

If I had to chose one or the other, I can't answer that until the undate arrives.

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

I recently bought an iPad 1 from Verizon. $499 fof the 64 gig version.

The killer app for me is the Optimum Online TV app - inside my house it plays anything on my cable box in absolutely gorgeous HD

The iPad DOES do flash - you just install Skyfire and many videos on web sites will in fact play. And if you find something that won't work, like an internet radio station, there is usually an app for that.

I did the jailbreak on my iPad (think ROOT).

NOW, I can use it for GPS, as there is a bluetooth app that works with a GPS receiver, I can do TV out in all apps, as there is a jailbreak app for that. I can also transfer files over wifi without using iTunes, that one is called iFile. Similar to some Android apps, it lets you punch a web address into a PC browser and access the iPad file system.

As well, I got VLC player, which allows me to play downloaded Divx (.avi) files on the iPad rather than convert first.

The iPad is an incredible machine. I love my NC, but the iPad is far superior. And the iTough Gen 4 is exactly the same, you can even use the same tools to jailbreak it. Since i already had the GPS receiver/antenna, now I have a nice small GPS to go with.

Contributor
Pelican71
0 Kudos

I thought I couldn't love another reader as much as my NOOKcolor but I admit I love my iPad 2 and my smart cover works fine. I owned a Kindle 2 before my NC. 

I have no problems reading outside, but I'm not a direct sunlight kind of girl.  I like having everything all in one. Other than the apps from Amazon and Barnes and Noble I use Bluefire Reader.

Some people have complained of the size, but the iPad is a good size for me.

The NC is still in the family.  My 13 year old has it.  She can't wait to be able to download apps.

Reading helps us develop empathy, imagination and a powerful vocabulary. That is why reading matters.
Contributor
AllyTrash
0 Kudos

I have both a Nook Color and an iPad2. I use my iPad a lot more because it is so versital, but if I just want to read a book or magazine there is no beating my nook color. I'm happy that I have both, but either one would do the job (except reading magazine subscriptions, which only the NC will do). Hope this helps.
Absorb what is useful, discard what is not. Add what is uniquely your own. - Bruce Lee
Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Depends on how you plan to use it. I bought my wife an ipad2 for work so she can take notes in meetings and such. She still uses her Nook to read in bed, she says its easier then lugging the Ipad to the bedroom where she stores her nook. Even thought I love her ipad and will probably buy myself one, I still use my NookColor for reading. I commute daily on the railroad and the Nook is so much more user friendly. I feel the Ipad is much too large to commute with and use in a crowded rail car. If its just for home use I would say get the Ipad. If you are planning to travel a lot, and want only to read, go with the Nook.

Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Contributor
Patncat
0 Kudos

I haVe iPad, NC and kindle. I wanted something I could read kindle and nook on. I use the iPad all the time. But for reading, it's nook all the way. The iPad is just too big to hold comfortably...for me. Also the NC fits in my purse. iPad is too big. Both are fast and the iPad is better for Internet use. They both are great, but each have their own uses. Not sure it's fair to compare them against each other. 7" is best for reading. IMHO.
nkr
Frequent Contributor
nkr
0 Kudos

It looks like Adobe has thrown in the towel and is addressing the 'Flash is trash' on Apple iOS devices, according to this article from Ars Technica.

So, there may be hope for Flash on the iPad after all.

Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin
0 Kudos

Wow. I just read that article. Very interesting. But it makes a lot of sense. There is an incredibly huge amount of apple portable devices out there that Flash doesn't work on. It only makes sense that Adobe would try to solve this problem. Looks like Steve Jobs wins another round! lol

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

I won't partake of the forbidden fruit. Besides over the next 6 months there will be plenty of tablets on themarket to coose from. Prices will be down and features up. Samsung is a prime example. Honeycomb on rooted on your NC. MS comming out with a windows OS tab, the BB playbook looks nice. All but apple give you a lot of freedom to do with as you please. (Well B&N shut it down but not hard to overcome) JMHO
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

Skyfire Browser translates most flash content to HTML 5 and plays it on the iPad

Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm no fan of Apple....Actually, I absolutely hate their operating system! I'm a PC guy all the way. I know my way around a PC and am very comfortable when working on programs using my PC. But with these mobile devices, I think it's obvious that the iPad has left all the rest in the dust in regards to the Apps.  The ONLY reason I would even consider an iPad is because of the Apps. And, I'll tell you what, if they get that Flash thing worked out, then I may be tempted to finally buy one. Skyfire may be the answer to this. I've never looked into that. If it is, that would be great!

When I owned the Motorola XOOM, which was supposed to be the answer to the iPad, the app store was virtually empty! A device is only as good as what you can do on it, and if there are no apps, or a very limited number of apps, then the device is no good imho. As of this moment, nobody can beat, or even come close to, the apps available for the iPad. Hopefully that will change soon.

Inspired Contributor
Triggerone
0 Kudos

I guess the good news is that "mixed marriages" can work! :smileywink: It sounds like there are many households with 3 OS'.  And glad to hear there is a work around with flash, and adobe will make some changes as well.

We were just at the Apple store and picked up the aforementioned touch - very nice device.  Now we'll see if my computer illiterate mom can adapt to it.  It looks pretty straight forward. 

While I was there, I did "touch" an ipad2.  Very nice device as well.  It does seem not as substantial as my NC (a tad flimsy), but I know the goal was thin and light.  Screen was not too bad (size).  It would definitely be larger in my brief tote - my NC fits very well, thank you very much!  Smart cover was interesting.  And it's still hanging around in my head. 

So I may yet have one....we'll just have to see how I feel about it over the next few days, a few more posts, and some googling around on the internet.

Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin
0 Kudos

scosgt wrote:

Skyfire Browser translates most flash content to HTML 5 and plays it on the iPad

You got my hopes up about this, but after just doing some minor searching around about Skyfire, I found out that it isn't really too smooth in it's operation. From what I found out, if you are visiting a website with flash content, you have to click a special button in the browser to "search" for and "load" any flash content....and then wait for it to load. I watched a few videos of this on Youtube, and I must say that it makes surfing the web very clumbsy and not at all like it should be with a device that has built in Flash capability.

If I'm missing something about this, please let me know.