Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Re: Forums: New Community Manager

JMO22 wrote:

Interested in getting a nook. I need to know if I can download a study program from Wiley. It is a CPA review course. I have the CD.

This really is not the right thread for your question. But since I took the time and thread space to point that out, the least I can do is answer your question. There are 4 wiley focus notes apps for the Nook Color. It may be worth considering that most comments on apps that cost more than $10 tend to get a lot of negative reviews from people (that have not used the app) that can't comprehend market value and think because they can get angry birds on their phone for free, $35 for an app that can help someone succeed in a new career is simply way too much money.

Anyway, here is a link that you may find useful:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/wiley-cpa-?store=ALLPRODUCTS&dref=4815&page=results&keyword=wiley+cp...=

Reader
DivaDiane
0 Kudos

I want to know if the color nook cover that is fabric is scotch guarded?  What do I have to do to get this question answered?

Distinguished Correspondent
Keystoneco
0 Kudos

First, thanks for joining the forum!

The Community Manager (Samantha/Sam) works at B&N Monday thru Friday, but not on the weekends or Holidays).  She is also on vacation until tomorrow. You will find this information in her first post.  If you click on her ID, you will get her recent posts.  Her initial post that states her hours. She has been a great resource here!

Since you first asked yesterday, give it some time for a reply, people aren't here waiting just for the chance to answer our questions.

If I were buying a fabric cover, I would go to Home Depot/Lowes etc and purchase a can of 3M spray Scotchguard to be double sure  it was protected.  Maybe someone know the answer you asked about the Nook cover, but I'd spray it myself anyway. 

Enjoy your NooK Color and make sure you buy a cover for it and not the original Nook.

Reader
DivaDiane
0 Kudos

This is my second nook.  I have the red  leather for my original so I know you need one  but could not resist the lovely lavender color.  Having the cover gives you the feeling of a book which I like a lot. But I think I really need it to protect it.  With my hands, in my pocket book etc I know it needs a lot of protection.  I have been trying to find a can of scotch guard but as strange as it seems I have not found one.  Checked the Lowe's and their's say not for use on upholstry, have tried 2 Krogers, Rite Aid, Publix  so I am looking but it seems elusive right now.  Plan to check out the Home Depot and Target tomorrow.  There is a special type of SG for fabric( that I saw on the SG site) and really I might do better to check out Micheal's or JoAnn's to see if they have the specific one.  I guess I think they should have treated it if it is not treated because the fabric is polyster and poly is not as easy to clean oily spots as cotton is.  I have a great husband (He bought the Color Nook and the cover for me) and his answer to all of this is to say he will just buy me a new one if it gets dirty. Thanks for the answer.  I love my nook and will be checking back here a lot.

Keystoneco
0 Kudos

DivaDiane,

Here is the product I was talking about.  I'm sure it's the same one you saw at Lowes. I think they were wrong, what would you scotch guard if not fabric?

http://www.epinions.com/content_223729651332

Happy Nooking!

AFH
Reader
AFH

I have had the unfortunate experience of speaking with a couple of telepone responders when

I had a problem with billing.  One appeared to have English as an unknown language the

other could only talk and could not/would not listen.

I am sensitive to the fact that it is hard to get expert help at less than expert wages but B&N

is just wasting their time and money (and alienating customers) by pretending that they

have telephone support.

The only way I have been able to resolve my problems was to visit a brick&mortar store and

talk to ANY employee there.  Smart, personable, and problem solving folks were there for each of two visits.

My suggestion is to pay the folks in the store a lot more (to keep them as employees) and to

dump all telephone support.  On line support only by e-correspondence with real experts.

Let's face it there are going to be many tablets, the ones that will survive will concentrate

on making the web sites superb and the support real.

Offered as a very satisfied and enthusiastic owner of a Nook Color except for.........

Contributor
TomV2
0 Kudos

Samantha,

Welcome to the Nook community. I really love the screen of the Nook Color, great product.

Two must have areas of improvement are (1) better train the online team  on the capabilities of the device and what apps are available or will soon be available, (2) better train the onsite B&N Nook personnel on basic /  advanced capabilities. One example of poor customer support is when I contacted your help desk to inquire about wireless printing and was told no because there were copyright issues and that there had not been a lot of demand for that capability. The Answer: False. I then asked about why you sold me QuickOffice which is basically a "light" version of a "Microsoft Office" type product (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) so that I could create and read artifacts from these applications and yet I could not wirelessly print them or easily send them out.

You may want to approach it as Apple did in the short-term until the OS caught up with print capabilities, they had developers produce a 3rd party application. Look up Print Magic, Cannon IEPP, and Printshare just to name a few. That was a quick and easy way to provide the capability and have them be forward / backward compatibility.

(2) I purchased QuickOffice for $19.95 and 24 hours later it was back to the sale price of $9.95 so I asked for a sale adjustment and was told that I was stuck with the original price. That does not seem fair given that most any retailer or vendor would adjust that out of fairness and to retain satisfied customers. Can you please look into these issues and let me know what B&N's position remains on these opportunities to keep a customer. Also, what new apps are in the development cue and what new Nook color capabilities are forthcoming in the short term. Thanks so much. Tom V

New User
lcainscc
0 Kudos

I recently have gotten a new color nook - when I charge it , it only charges up to 99% and not a
100% - I have left it being charged for a whole day and a half - would I be having a problem with my nook?

lcainscc

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

probably not....first, are you charging using a wall outlet?  If you use a computer it takes forever and my not reach 100%.  also, this particular type of battery does not have to be charged to 100% each time.  It will charge rapidly up to about 85% then it will start using a trickle charge....that is why it can take as long to go from 85% to 100% as it does to go from 15% to 85%.  I would use/recharge a couple of times before I became concerned.  btw, should go from 20% to 85% in about 2~3 hours and then take another 1-2 hours to finish.

Jeremy

Frequent Contributor
ShastaGG
0 Kudos

There needs to be a way to get into this discussion group viathe B&N's home page.  It used to work (all I had to do was go to the bottom of the page and click on "NookColor" under the Discussion heading but it no longer works since you upgraded the site.  What happened?

Frequent Contributor
ShastaGG
0 Kudos

Sam:

Simple question - On the General Discussion Board the latest questions and/or reply's are listed at the top of the page but when you go into the thread, the latest reply's are on last page.  It would be nice if the original message was listed first then all the reply's were listed from the most current to the oldest.

New User
CBGVA
0 Kudos

I am trying to download the latest software for my nook color 1.3.0 and I am following the directions exactly from you're web site but both of my browsers tell me the file is invalid or corrupt. How can I get the newest revison on software?

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,310

[ Edited ]

CBGVA wrote:

I am trying to download the latest software for my nook color 1.3.0 and I am following the directions exactly from you're web site but both of my browsers tell me the file is invalid or corrupt. How can I get the newest revison on software?

That's because your browsers (which, and what operating system?) are "sticking their noses into stuff that is none of their business".  Or, more appropriately, they are misdiagnosing a problem that isn't a problem.  That's because, while the downloaded file has a ".zip" extension, it isn't really a "correct" ZIP file (and doesn't need to be).

Ignore what the browsers are telling you.  If the downloaded file is 185286253 bytes in size, it is fine.  Copy it over to the Nook per the instructions.

ps: It is considered poor form to add a message to a thread that is about a different subject (that's called "thread hijacking").  Next time, I'd suggest starting a new thread with the proper title (in this case it could be something like "Invalid update file").  That would probably give a you a quicker response.

Or, you could look for other threads that have this type of problem (as your is a very common misunderstanding);  that would be even quicker (no need to wait for a response).

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted (one for sale)
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
New User
CBGVA
0 Kudos

Thank You so much for the help and the information, I will download the file and check it out before I copy it to the nook color and I will respond back to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

I just wanted to say hello and when those private messages about me start popping up... ignore them.  They are filthy lies!  Lies i say!

:smileytongue:

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Whooo ... seeing this topic back on top of the forum scared me.  I thought Sam was going away!  Sam, for what it's worth, I think you've done a great job since taking over.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
SLevine
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy: Thank you OmniGeek! Happy almost weekend ! 

New User
MO7109
0 Kudos

Welcome to you new job! I Do you know if Barnes and Nobles are thinking about adding tv shows, movies apps to the Nook Color?

Thanks,

Tori

SLevine
0 Kudos

Hi MO7109- We have a lot of exciting NOOK news coming up soon...stay tuned! Alex and I will be here giving the play-by-play as new NOOK action unfolds :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
Weedy533
0 Kudos

Would it be possible to add a feature that would if you heald your cursor over the question it would allow you to see part of the question without clicking on it?

I have seen this feature on other forums, here is an example

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=9

This would be good because sometimes you can’t tell what the question is about or if it is something I might not be interested in and sometimes I can't  remember if you have read it before.

I understand there is different software and such but please consider this.

Thank you like these boards love my Nook