Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Free Arts/Crafts eBooks, YAY!!

For all of you who are excited for crafting books to become available for Nook Color, I just found some goodies to tide us over!!!

The websites for several excellent crafting magazines (Cloth Paper Scissors & Quilting Arts, so far) are offering a FREE eBook download if you sign up for their newsletter.  Basically, every magazine published by Interweave Press does this, and each magazine has a different freebie, but you really don't get a lot of email from them.  I actually have been subscribing to their newsletters for months before I figured out this benefit!

The free eBooks are in PDF format, but the two I got so far have looked absolutely perfect on the Nook Color.  They're in full color and look just like the magazines do in real life.  Pinch & zoom seems to work, and they can be viewed in portrait or landscape.

Enjoy!  If I find others, I'll post the info!

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Re: Free Arts/Crafts eBooks, YAY!!

pssssttt...how do I find the website?

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

BN will not let us post links to external websites.  Consider trying www then the name of the magazine and then dot com.  Or use the google.

I just got 4 off Artist Daily too, and they had dozens more!

Reader 4
LucieShines
0 Kudos

YAY-Thx so much for sharing this great and exciting bit of news.  I am heading over to my browser as soon as I post this thank you!!!!

Contributor
PaigeAM
0 Kudos

OH this is GREAT!!!  I love knitting and spinning interweave magazines!!

I will be looking for these on the B&N Website!

PaigeAM

PaigeAM
Correspondent
Laurie_Gator
0 Kudos

Wow!!

The PDF came out really nice! I love how you can resize it and the pattern is crystal clear! Yup, this is yet another reason that I am so happy I picked up a Nook Color for Christmas! I am tempted to head over to Interweave and download a couple of the other e-books. The one for Spinning to Socks looked really cool!

Contributor
PaigeAM
0 Kudos

Hey! I went to Interweave and did not see where any of their books are offered in "NOOK" format. Are you downloading these "EBooks" they are offering directly onto your Nook instead

of your computer ?? Like the knitting mags?? monthly issues?? they are about $15 a issue ??

PaigeAM
Correspondent
Laurie_Gator
0 Kudos

Paige,

Did you check on the Spin-Off magazine page? I downloaded 3 free scarf knitting patterns from that one :-)

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Paige - I did not go thru the Interweave site.  I went directly to the websites for a few of their publications (in my case: Cloth Paper Scissors, Quilting Arts, Artist Daily) and each has a button at the top of the page that says "Free Stuff" or something along those lines. Click that and a drop down menu will come up that says eBooks.

They are not in NOOK format, as I stated in the original post they are PDF format. And they are free.  I downloaded them directly to my Nook Color using the wifi connection.

Hopefully BN will not have a problem with this link because apparently I'm not being clear enough with my instructions on how to find these.  

http://www.artistdaily.com/media/g/freemiums/default.aspx

http://www.clothpaperscissors.com/media/g/ebooks/default.aspx

http://www.quiltingarts.com/media/g/free/tags/free+ebooks/default.aspx

Contributor
PaigeAM
0 Kudos

Great! Got it Thanks!! Appreciate your help.

PaigeAM