Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka
Posts: 195
Registered: ‎02-21-2011

From the BN Nook Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/nookBN

 

 

You asked, we listened. This spring, use your NOOK Color to send e-mail and explore popular apps like Angry Birds, Drawing Pad, Lonely Planet Phrasebooks, and Wine PhD. Stay tuned here for news about these exciting new features and when the firmware update will be ready. (P.S. Yes! We said Angry Birds!) What apps would you love to see on your NOOK Color?  

 

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
Posts: 1,199
Registered: ‎06-16-2010

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

[ Edited ]

 


Viktornka wrote:

http://www.facebook.com/nookBN

 

 

You asked, we listened. This spring, use your NOOK Color to send e-mail and explore popular apps like Angry Birds, Drawing Pad,  Lonely Planet Phrasebooks, and Wine PhD. Stay tuned here for news  about these exciting new features and when the firmware update will be ready. (P.S. Yes! We said Angry Birds!) What apps would you love to see on your NOOK Color?   

 


 

Well if I don't travel or need a language book or Drink! I guess I'm stuck playing Angry Birds.And kind of moronic I can only purchase travel guides & language books from Lonely Planet from B&N but only if I am from the US?

 

If they really wanted an eyebrow lift from me. Would have listed alternate Pdf viewers,Readers,Comic viewer, Weather,Maps,Notepad,Contacts & Calendar apps.

 

Instead we have a vision of a Traveling Wino doodling and playing Angry Birds.

.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Frequent Contributor
Tyleen
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎01-04-2011

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

Wow a bit Pessimistic? Maybe they didn't feel like posting every single app they had on a facebook announcement. Why not wait til the full listing or the store opens before giving up hope of getting the apps you Want?
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
Posts: 1,199
Registered: ‎06-16-2010

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

 


Tyleen wrote:
Wow a bit Pessimistic? Maybe they didn't feel like posting every single app they had on a facebook announcement. Why not wait til the full listing or the store opens before giving up hope of getting the apps you Want?

They wouldn't need to. Just choosing to list more general apps used by more people like letting us know if we are going to get a Notepad or Calendar,etc..  Was not being pessimistic but pointing out that maybe they could have listed a few better more general choices then the obvious of limited use ones the chose to list.

 

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Frequent Contributor
Tyleen
Posts: 32
Registered: ‎01-04-2011
0 Kudos

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page


orb9220 wrote:

  

Well if I don't travel or need a language book or Drink! I guess I'm stuck playing Angry Birds.


Yes that was being pessimistic about what types of apps will be available because you are getting info from a very brief Facebook post in which they can't list every app to meet everyones priorities. 

 

Inspired Correspondent
FredOak3
Posts: 105
Registered: ‎03-08-2011
0 Kudos

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

And they did ask what we would like to see, now let's just wait and see if the read the responses.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
Posts: 1,734
Registered: ‎12-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

 


orb9220 wrote:

Instead we have a vision of a Traveling Wino doodling and playing Angry Birds..


Oh my gosh, that's funny. :smileyvery-happy:

 

 

I have this mental image of Foster Brooks with a foreign dictionary under his arm, holding a hopeless looking parakeet in one hand and a wine glass in the other.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Mark_OB1
Posts: 1,580
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
Registered: ‎12-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

 


orb9220 wrote:

 

Just choosing to list more general apps used by more people like letting us know if we are going to get a Notepad or Calendar,etc..  Was not being pessimistic but pointing out that maybe they could have listed a few better more general choices then the obvious of limited use ones the chose to list.

 

I agree with your point.  However the flaw in your commentary is that this was NOT intended to be an announcement of all the things you or I wanted to see.  So it's purpose was not to generate additional interest.

 

It did nothing more than confirm the items that HSN had already prematurely let the felines out of the cloth container on.  Nothing more.  They felt they had to say something, so they said as little as possible.

 

- Mark

 

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
Posts: 1,199
Registered: ‎06-16-2010

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

"I agree with your point.  However the flaw in your commentary is that this was NOT intended to be an announcement of all the things you or I wanted to see. "

 

I understand that. It is just from my perspective it's like advertising a new car and pointing it will come with new glove compartment & Ash tray.  I wasn't aiming at any poster here. Was just pointing out the fact that whomever was resposible for putting together the realease blurb. Could have chosen more general apps to list that would have affected and grabbed more peoples interest.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Wordsmith
SCIONTX
Posts: 239
Registered: ‎11-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

They already know what apps people want. How many threads here discuss that?

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
Posts: 1,199
Registered: ‎06-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

 


SCIONTX wrote:

They already know what apps people want. How many threads here discuss that?


 

Yes they know! But do they confirmed that we will get them? Or they actually listened to us?They could of with the pre-realease info. In fact makes for good PR.

 

"We Listened to You! and will be realeasing much wanted new pdf reader,notebook,calendar,etc"

 

Sounds more connected to the customer concerns. As I don't remember any threads where customers mentioning travel & wine guides.

 

If you don't see my point about how they could have handled it better I'm sorry for that. And maybe I could have worded it better? But i just don't understand all the defending them and trying to pick apart or challenge my concerns.

.

 

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
Posts: 388
Registered: ‎01-04-2011
0 Kudos

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

@orb9220:I'm with you all the way. Hey some people just don't get it. I'll most likely get it Now!
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
Posts: 1,581
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

It's called feature creep.  You have to stop development sometime, and cut off changes.  Push stuff off to the next update.  If you try to implement every feature that every Tom, Dick, and Harry suggests, the update never gets done.  You have to draw the line somewhere.

 

 

 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
flyingtoastr
Posts: 3,011
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,924
Registered: ‎11-11-2009

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

[ Edited ]

This is the part where I point out that by the very act of posting on these forums you are already in the fantasitcally small minority of NOOK owners and thus you shouldn't assume that your views on what is valuable or not represent some kind of concensus of the silent majority.

 

Wakka wakka.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
Posts: 1,581
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

 


flyingtoastr wrote:

This is the part where I point out that by the very act of posting on these forums you are already in the fantasitcally small minority of NOOK owners and thus you shouldn't assume that your views on what is valuable or not represent some kind of concensus of the silent majority.

 

Wakka wakka.


 

I'm sorry?   That negates my comments...how, exactly?

 

 

 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
flyingtoastr
Posts: 3,011
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,924
Registered: ‎11-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

Not you riff, @Orb.

 

I'm so used to threaded reply boards still. Bleh.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
Posts: 1,581
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

 


flyingtoastr wrote:

Not you riff, @Orb.

 

I'm so used to threaded reply boards still. Bleh.


 

No problem.   I wondered.

 

 

 

 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Frequent Contributor
whimspun
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎03-14-2011

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

Here is my question.  

 

Do the handful of posters who need to critique, dissuade, plead for reason and patience, and lastly scold so many for having a different opinion than their own, realize that perhaps they are no more knowledgable than any other poster?  The infamous argument is no one knows a thing (but themselves for some odd reason).

 

The boards might feel more inviting with more diverse opinions, viewpoints, and projections, and less... well you probably know who you are.

 

Since the whole issue is the unknown, why is there any need to find the "flaw" in someone's post?

"Real generosity towards the future lies in giving all to the present." Albert Camus
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
Posts: 1,904
Registered: ‎12-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

 


whimspun wrote:

Here is my question.  

 

Do the handful of posters who need to critique, dissuade, plead for reason and patience, and lastly scold so many for having a different opinion than their own, realize that perhaps they are no more knowledgable than any other poster?  The infamous argument is no one knows a thing (but themselves for some odd reason).

 

The boards might feel more inviting with more diverse opinions, viewpoints, and projections, and less... well you probably know who you are.

 

Since the whole issue is the unknown, why is there any need to find the "flaw" in someone's post?


 

Its ALL opinion. Even pointing out a perceived flaw in someones post.

 

Thats what discussion boards are about.  Best bet is to have tuff skin cause ya may get offended if you don't.

 

That being said, Welcome to the boards. Jump in and have fun.  :smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Frequent Contributor
Catfanatic1979v1
Posts: 92
Registered: ‎02-22-2011

Re: From the BN Nook Facebook page

I definitely want Marvel's comic viewer app currently only available on the apple products and a Netflix app.