Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

GPS on the Nook Color!!!!!

I aleady had a Holux Bluetooth GPS receiver.

With the upgrade of the eemc to CM 7.1, I now have a 7" GPS!

You need:

Bluetooth GPS receiver

Bluetooth GPS from the market (free)

Co Pilot North America (from the market $2.99)

The Bluetooth GPS program will turn on your BT in the NC. You do need to pair the Holux with the NC

After that, a little hand wringing and it all works,

It works FAST. It more than keeps up with local turns, and is a nice large display. TTS also works. You do NOT need a cellular connection to navigate, although the other features of Co Pilot do require an internet connection, Maps are downloaded onto the NC. 

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Re: GPS on the Nook Color!!!!!

[ Edited ]

Very cool? How about some links to where to get the stuff to make GPS happen?

I bought my daughter a Garmin GPS  (she is a college student working part time for catering co) and have used it several times and would luv to have a GPS.  My wife and recently had to go several places running late with no time to google map, and a GPS would have made it so easy but we didn't have our daughter's.

If the cost of setting up NC to use GPS is half that of a $125 Garmin, then I will do the NC GPS.

I just read that receiver can upload the GPS info via USB, will the software allow the NC to use it's USB and recieve the GPS info?

How is the screen on the NC with the maps and locator, is it very clear similar to Garmin or is the resolution off and not clear?

What about zoom in and out how smooth is that and updating of the map when you do zoom?

What about real time drive location on map, is that smooth, especially while driving?

My daughter's garmin has voice, giving directions without even looking at the Garmin, does the setup you have include voice navigation?

thanks

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

The only hardware you need is:

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=207906310&sellerid=18402169

You may be able to find it cheaper on ebay or Amazon.

CM7.1 on eemc

The most basic co-pilot on market is $2.99 fully functional but no 3D display.

Or $14.99 for the full version. 

Bluetooth GPS free at the market.

It does take a little playing with ESPECIALLY if you walk away with the NC and forget to take the Holux with you. Loses the BT signal, everything goes down, PITA to get it all up again. But once enabled, works perfectly. Does landscape mode. I found a car windshield mount at MicroCenter. It all works very nicely, now I have a 7" IPS display GPS!

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

I did a check on amazon, it one comment said the maps have to be continuously downloaded, without a data connection and away from wifi how is that possible?

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

Are you talking about the Holux or the Co Pilot???????

The Holux is simply a bluetooth chip/antenna. It has no maps. You need a navigation app for that.

Co Pilot downloads the maps onto your device when you install. NO internet connection is needed on the road.

You can put the entire USA maps on your NC for the $2.99 for the app.

If you use the Holux with Google maps, YES, you need a data connection. THAT is NOT what we are talking about here. This is to make it a standalone GPS unit.

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

Make sure you buy the newer $2.99 app.

The older Live 8 does not work on anything but phones it seems.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Ok thanks,

How is the screen resolution with the maps, similar or better than a Garmin?

How is the tracking, does it keep up, or lag?

Using my daughter's Garmin 255w is really simple, it is an amazing device, but does have limitations.  A bigger screen on a multifunction device sounds very appealing. 

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

The screen is absolutely beautiful and NO problem at all seeing it in the car in bright daylight. Resolution is built for a tablet. 

There is NO lag. Speed agrees exacly with the speedo, and it announces turns before you get there, My test is to drive my neighborhood which has a long street with about 10 cross streets. I program in a destination, then deliberately don't make the turn. That causes a route recalculation, and the idea is to see if it announces the NEXT street in time to make the turn, It does, and the turns are only about 2-3 houses apart. 

I took a trip from NY to Allentown PA today. It frooze one time, and one time the Bluetooth provider stopped working, which locks the GPS program, Each time a forced close from "applications" menu got me going, The BT provider programs are a bit buggy, and you need to try a few (free) until you get one that works reasonably well. Also, I was running three speedometer/Compass programs in the background, so that might have been what got me, BTW, standalone GPS units freeze up all the time. They are, after all, computers.

Overall, the thing is super in the car. Big and easy to read at a glance. The challenge is finding a proper mount.