Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
littlebitaluck
0 Kudos

Getting the new Nook Color update 1.2

[ Edited ]

After leaving Wi FI and the Nook Color turned on for 24 hours 3 days ago and again today, there is still no sign of the 1.2 update.  How does one know if the machine is updating or if the update is complete.  is it best to download and install the update from my computer?    Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!  ...     Littlebitaluck

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

Re: Getting the new Nook Color update 1.2

If you get the update OTA.....there will be a little green "n" in the bottom, left hand corner.

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Reader
littlebitaluck
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

How many days does one wait for the update to come?  It does not seem to be as simple as turning the machine on and connecting to WiFi.  Do I need to go on the web on the nook?

Inspired Wordsmith
KidneyKid
0 Kudos

You dont have to be on a webpage to get the update sent to your Nook. If you are getting tired of waiting you can sideload it. It is not hard to do at all. I dont think anyone can tell you for sure when it will get to you. Another suggestion is if you live close to a B&N store you can take your Nook into the store and they will do it for you.
Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

We haven't heard of many people getting the update OTA-I've only seen two. So those of us who have chosen to wait, are still waiting. It could be any day or weeks. I know if you go to you shop on your NC, there should be a video telling you about the update and they also sent out emails about it.
Distinguished Wordsmith
1katie

You can download the update from the B&N website if you choose not to wait. Many folks have done this.

Q2: Where can I get the update if I don’t want to wait for it to be delivered automatically?
Please go to www.nookcolor.com/update and follow the instructions there.

If you have a micro SD card in your NC, you might want to take it out first as some people did report having problems with this.

Happy updating.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
New User
Pamla
0 Kudos

I got anxious and downloaded the update; dragged it to the nook as directed. Waited. Nothing. It's been over 48 hours, but I got the impression the nook would auto-install after detecting the file. I didn't alter the file. Dropped it onto the root. I also tried rebooting afterward. Any other ideas?  Thx.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Pamla, so you have the 1.2 update zip on your PC, some people have had issues using drag and drop.  So instead use Windows Explorer,  plug the USB cable into your Nookcolor and PC, wait, a popup will appear, it has several choices, one will be "open folder to view files", select it.  Now you are using Windows explorer.  When explorer opens it shows you the Nookcolor's root directory, this is where you want to copy and paste the 1.2 Update zip file.  Using Windows explorer navigate to where you downloaded your 1.2 Update.zip file select then right click and select copy.  Now return to the Nookcolor root and paste the file there.  Using the "Safe to Remove Hardware" tool disconnect and eject the USB connection.

From this point on you can follow B&N's instructions click on Get 1.2.0 today and the instructions will show.

Let us know if you have any further issues.

Contributor
alleyoop
0 Kudos

I, too, got tired of  waiting more than a week, so last night I downloaded manually. I followed B&N's instructions and it went without a hitch--except that for a long time I didn't see the green logo that  is supposed to appear in the lower left corner. So I left the Nook on and went to bed,

littlebitaluck wrote:

After leaving Wi FI and the Nook Color turned on for 24 hours 3 days ago and again today, there is still no sign of the 1.2 update.  How does one know if the machine is updating or if the update is complete.  is it best to download and install the update from my computer?    Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!  ...     Littlebitaluck

and this morning Voila! there is was. Looks fine, no problems so far.

Good luck to you,

alleyoop

Contributor
shefrn1
0 Kudos

i was told that the ota updatte was regional according to where you purchased...i got tired of waiting so i sideloaded without any difficulties at all...very easy....drag and drop...no problems