Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Going through TSA checkpoints with your NC/NT

Just read this article about going through TSA checkpoints with an Kindle Fire, I assume the same holds true for NookColor and NookTablet. Good info to know:

http://mashable.com/2011/11/21/kindle-fire-tsa/?WT.mc_id=en_my_stories&utm_campaign=My%2BStories...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
justsayyes

Re: Going through TSA checkpoints with your NC/NT

[ Edited ]

No offense to our friends at the TSA, but what an idiotic and random policy! Still, I am stunned, no shocked, that the policy is not:

"All electronic devices must be processed separately by removing them from bags and placing them on the conveyor belt. No exceptions.  Products from Apple, Inc. are excluded and may be carried on with our blessing and envious glances of grudging appreciation in acknowledgement that you are, indeed, the coolest person in the world."

Contributor
TaurusWriter
0 Kudos

Just returned from flying with my Nook Color a week ago.  It has a cover on it, and I put in the tub with my Apple MacBook and BlackBerry.

No problems, works just fine, after going through TSA twice.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Internet journalism meets the telephone game....

I was curious to see more about this, as I've  been clearing security with LCD screens for years to no ill effect.  My initial thought was that the source of the report would be someone who'd taken a color reader out of its case.

Actually, the source article was not talking about the kindle fire but rather the kindle itself. 

Mashable linked to http://gizmodo.com/5861388/amazon-kindles-may-be-damaged-by-airport-scannersl

which linked to to http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/amazon/8900034/Amazon-Kindles-damaged-by-airport-scanners.html

which is specifically about the e-ink Kindles, and has exactly one person quoted saying their display was mucked up.  That was after going through a checkpoing run by a scanner operator who took a strong interest in their bags at an airport in Madrid. It could have been from scanning, or it could have been damaged during a physical inspection of the bag, and the question-and-answer session about a radio, which was apparently what attracted attention. 

I have read many times that international travelers should expect the x ray machines to be all over the map in terms of dosage. Most professional photographers traveling internationally carry lead pouches for film and memory cards.  I've always thought using the pouches for memory cards was probably little more than clever marketing by the lead pouch makers, though.

But if you're concerned, I'm sure there's a vendor happy to sell you a lead envelope for your Nook, Nook Touch or Nook Color/Tablet. 

A clever vendor probably has three different model numbers each claming to be tailored to your device :smileyhappy:

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

I'm not sure why anyone would take their NOOK out anyway before going through security. I have traveled many times with my N1E and I just shut it down and leave it in my tote bag or in my purse with the cover still on it. It's gone through the scanner just fine.

Of course, now that it insists on re-setting itself if it's turned off, I MAY have a problem..:smileysad:

Contributor
hrosvit
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BeachCatFan wrote:

I'm not sure why anyone would take their NOOK out anyway before going through security. I have traveled many times with my N1E and I just shut it down and leave it in my tote bag or in my purse with the cover still on it. It's gone through the scanner just fine.

Of course, now that it insists on re-setting itself if it's turned off, I MAY have a problem..:smileysad:

Agreed.  I fly a couple times a month and never expose my Nook Color (or the Nook Classic before that).  I take my laptop out of its bag, in accordance with the regulations, but leave the Nook in the computer bag.  I have never had a conveyor monkey ask me to take it out. 

"Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd, smiling."
Contributor
California-Cori
0 Kudos

I actually flew last month and didn't take my nook out of my bag at all.  I took my laptop out but not my nook color and no one said anything...

Contributor
sk8teacher
0 Kudos

If you are leaving France at CDG, ALL electronics including ereaders, cameras, laptops, cellphones, etc. MUST be taken out and put into a bin. I went through there last week and had to remove my netbook, four cameras, two cellphones, and two nooks and put them into a bin by themselves. Maybe it was something unique that day but be forwarned.

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

The sad part is, you have a bunch of people who dont know what they are talking about, writing about something that may be caused by people using equipment to look for something they know nothing about, and its hard to prepare for those people because they cant tell us what they know/dont know.  In general, the table scanners are safer than the metal detectors we pass through, as far as film and such go.  As the traveling public starts carrying more and more electronics, it has two effects, gets the TSA more familiar with the devices, and slows down the process when they havent seen it before.  When traveling overseas, keep in mind some electronics are covered by 'electronic/technical embargo', and cannot go to some countries without risk of confiscation.  The biggest thing to remember is to watch for anyone getting near your stuff who isnt a TSA agent.  Never let the conveyor get ahead of you.  It would truly suck to watch some clod pick up your toy while an accomplice with half a pound of change keeps you from getting thorugh the scanners.  Travel safe, travel smart, and just remember, they may not know what they are doing, but they are doing their job, be ready to explain, and or demo anything you are carrying with a smile, it helps the day go better for both sides.  I've actually been questioned about my hi power bicycle lights a few times.  They dont miss a trick... "where is your bicycle then?", as they noticed i didnt have a luggage reciept for one.  I appreciated the thoroughness.

Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH
0 Kudos

I have never had any issues taking my NC through various US airports. I do put my NC in a bin by itself, same as laptops or netbooks. One thing I have learned is, I put all my small gizmos -- cell phone, GPS, shaver, various chargers, camera, etc -- in a large transparent plastic bag which I take out and place in a bin. This reduces the need for them to hand-inspect my carry on bag.
Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I assume that you don't mention the odd resemblence the battery has to the TV version of plastic explosive in the recent online teardown article.:smileytongue:

Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

"Just returned from flying with my Nook Color a week ago. It has a cover on it, and I put in the tub with my Apple MacBook and BlackBerry. No problems, works just fine, after going through TSA twice."

Same here as I have flown several times since getting my original NC.

Just place it in a tub (mine is in a cover also), pick it up at the other end, and go on with my life!

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61

When possible, the laptop is now left at home. Only my NookColor accompanies me. Oh, almost forgot my wife goes too.

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

P38Lightning wrote:

"Just returned from flying with my Nook Color a week ago. It has a cover on it, and I put in the tub with my Apple MacBook and BlackBerry. No problems, works just fine, after going through TSA twice."

Same here as I have flown several times since getting my original NC.

Just place it in a tub (mine is in a cover also), pick it up at the other end, and go on with my life!

I don't think I've ever taken mine out of the carryon bag and I've flown with it a lot.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

To be safe you could purchase an anti-static bag for your NC/NT/KF/Android phone..etc

I have a bunch of em lying around my office  :smileywink:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Contributor
dvm503
0 Kudos

Since I got my NC I have traveled with it to China, Taiwan, England, and Jamaica as well as monthly domestic (US) flights.  I always place it in a bin along with my laptop.  No problems, yet.  It does have a cover.

I did have a TSA person in Texas go ballistic because I hadn't taken my CPAP machine out of the bag and placed it in a bin.  I thought he was either going to shoot me or have a heart attack.

I never take my SD cards out of the carry-on bag, though.  It may just be a matter of time until someone requires me to.