Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
Lithosquid
0 Kudos

Great program for converting video for the NC

I came across this program for Mac and PC that converts just about any type of video  -  one of the more challenging issues I had was converting my videos to play on the Nook Color.  This program (costs about 30.00) handles the job effortlessly - to and from virtually any format.  It is from a company called Iskysoft.  Here is the link to the site: http://www.iskysoft.com/video-converter-windows.html  I normally do not post nor endorse software, but after banging my head against my keyboard, I stumbled across this and was so impressed I wanted to share.  It costs about 35.00, but IMHO is well worth the outlay, particularly if you have a large collection of wmv and avi files that you want to view.

Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

Re: Great program for converting video for the NC

[ Edited ]

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

dparrothead1 wrote:

This is from one of out members.   And it cost only 10 bucks..

http://www.tools4movies.com/

I was going to mention that, but it just seemed...cruel.   :smileyvery-happy: 

And then there's clipconverter.cc too.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad

I've been using DVD Catalyst 4 and it's worked great. I've ripped about 40 movies from my collection, the vast majority of which converted without a hitch. I've had maybe two or three that required tinkering with the settings to convert properly, but none that have required any other software. One nice bonus is that it includes pre-defined settings for the Nook Color from a dropdown menu where you select your device.

It's a great program and I highly recommend it, and at $9.99 it's a steal.

Contributor
overbyte
0 Kudos

I've used Miro Converter for other applications.   It's a great program, free to download and use, based on open-source, and "just works".   Get it here: Miro Video Converter.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

DVD Catalyst is the best (and best bang for the buck) conversion program for Windows computers.  Easy and the support is by far the best of any program I've bought before.

But, Mac owners need a good solution and the OP's suggestion may be one for them even though it is more expensive. 

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
Tim79
0 Kudos

I tried it, but I think Foxreal Video Converter is better. It can convert all video formats, like MKV, MP4, AVCHD, MTS, M2TS, AVI, VOB, etc to Nook Color wich optimized format(mp4, h.264, 854*480). I tried it, and I never meet any audio out of video problem.

The other key feature is that it supports CUDA acceleration, which can convert convert video to Nook Color with up to 500% faster speed.

I help u find the Nook Color Converter download link. Hopefully it can help u!

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis

Tim79 wrote:

I tried it, but I think Foxreal Video Converter is better. It can convert all video formats, like MKV, MP4, AVCHD, MTS, M2TS, AVI, VOB, etc to Nook Color wich optimized format(mp4, h.264, 854*480). I tried it, and I never meet any audio out of video problem.

The other key feature is that it supports CUDA acceleration, which can convert convert video to Nook Color with up to 500% faster speed.

I help u find the Nook Color Converter download link. Hopefully it can help u!

This is spam. He's digging up old threads and promoting his product, and not being up front about it. He's done this with about a half dozen threads this evening.

My signature line is better than your signature line.
Scribe
dvdcatalyst

Tim79 wrote:

I help u find the nook color converter download link. Hopefully it can help u!

Eventhough your post seems more like an advertising post, I decided to try the trial version..

The app just seems to do video files, so at $35 it's a bit overpriced (DVD Cat 4 does DVD and Video for $10)

For testing, I used a NOOKcolor-optimized MP4 file I created from "Avatar Extended Edition" last night, and because the video-specs of the NOOK are identical to that of the Droid X, I selected the DroidX profile in Foxreal.I left the rest of the settings as the defaults, and just like most people, I don't have CUDA support, so the speeds should give a proper representation for the average user.

The 1hour33minute file converted at about 1x realtime on a Core2Duo 2Ghz system using Foxreal (it took 1hour26 minutes). With DVD Catalyst 4, the conversion of the same file took about 22 minutes on the same system.

Besides the Foxreal watermark in the created video file, the quality was pretty much identical, except the DVD Catalyst created file was about 100MB smaller.

As the developer of DVD Catalyst, the integrity of this post might be in question, but these are my honest findings. If you are looking for a video conversion application, I would strongly suggest to try before you buy, especially since FoxReal does NOT provide refunds:

FoxReal wrote (on their website):

Q4: What your refund policy?
A: Foxreal Software' products are provided as trial version but the freeshare for downloading directly from our website. You can easily decide whether the products are compatible with your computer system and satisfy all of your requirements before purchasing the full versions by using these "try-before-you-buy" versions. B: Please note all sales are final. They cannot be cannelled once the registeration detailed and download instructions are issued. Please review the accepted circumstances carefully as blow, and generally other requests for refund will not be accepted by our company.

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

dvdcatalyst wrote:

FoxReal wrote (on their website):

Q4: What your refund policy?
A: Foxreal Software' products are provided as trial version but the freeshare for downloading directly from our website. You can easily decide whether the products are compatible with your computer system and satisfy all of your requirements before purchasing the full versions by using these "try-before-you-buy" versions. B: Please note all sales are final. They cannot be cannelled once the registeration detailed and download instructions are issued. Please review the accepted circumstances carefully as blow, and generally other requests for refund will not be accepted by our company.

Tsk!  Spelling! :smileysurprised:

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

I quoted the actual contents. I know how to use a spellcheck :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis

dvdcatalyst wrote:

I quoted the actual contents. I know how to use a spellcheck :smileyhappy:

I know, sorry I didn't make that plain. Visiting that website is enough to make you cry.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

I will promote to the hills DVD Catalyst.  I have other video conversion programs, video capture and dvd authoring software that includes pinnacle studio 12 as well as one very decent one by Womble called MPEG video wizard.  I have imgburn that I use to burn isos to DVDs.  I've tried trial programs from various sources including Sony.  This of course doesn't mean I know much, but I have looked around.

If a person wants to get video onto their NOOKcolor and owns a PC, DVD Catalyst is inexpensive, has great support, and is well worth every penny.  Anyone posting here that says it isn't is being intentionally misleading.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Scribe
dvdcatalyst

Forum Spammers and internet marketing tactics explained.

Thanks deemure,

I appreciate the support a lot.

On most forums, moderators will actually take down posts like "Tim", but unfortunately, reporting his posts to the mods here doesn't seem to help (what mods?).

He doesn't actually care if people here would actually use his links or not. If they do, its a nice bonus for him, but the main intention is to get a better search-engine ranking. His posts are purely written for specific keywords people would use to find video information about the NOOK (or Xoom, iPad2, Atrix, or whatever new device is out there) and because google will find a link to his site on these posts, it will push up his google-ranking (showing up higher on the first page)

If you do a google-search for some of his keywords, you will find other posts similar to these on dance-forums, gaming-forums. This one in particular,

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/rip_your_movie_dvds_and_watch_them_anywhere

gives a nice example in the comments section, where pretty much all the spammers seem to participate in a war of conversion tools.

While there are many companies using these tactics, another reason for these spam-posts is because these companies overcharge their software, and offer a high affiliate pay-out.

Many of these companies offer their affiliates 75% of each sale, so there are a lot of fake review websites out there that claim to have done a compare of different conversion tools, with a lot of blah blah added, and then offer you a "special" on the winner. Of course all the apps reviewed have an affiliate payout of at least 50%, but the one that wins has the highest percentage.

Most of these sites use an old marketing technique that people might remember under the kname "The Rich Jerk", where they portray themself as a user, build up some personal trust, then mention that a lot out there is fake/scam etc, and that it took a long time to find a few that would actually work. Then from those, the one with the highest payout comes out as the best one.

The video-conversion market is one of the worst regarding marketing tactics, but the same techniques are also used for many other products. When people do research for something they want to purchase, they are always looking for reviews of some sort, so just keep these tactics in mind. If you are unsure if a review is trustworthy or not, all it takes is a simple visit to the company website and look for an "Affiliate" link somewhere on the site. 

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Re: Forum Spammers and internet marketing tactics explained.

But, there are mods here!  They're like shoemaker's elves.  You never see 'em.  But one of the sneaky critters just stickied the HSN thread! 

I do believe. I do believe!

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

But, there are mods here!  They're like shoemaker's elves.  You never see 'em.  But one of the sneaky critters just stickied the HSN thread! 

I do believe. I do believe!

It's not stickied for me.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Hmmmmmmmmm.

Maybe the "float to top" thingy really works (on a delayed, individual basis). 

Bummer.  I wanted to believe...   :smileysad:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

Well, even though I have done only one DVD so far (most of my DVDs are in a storage locker right now and I can't get to them) and have converted a few video files (some from youtube but a few from my digital camera), I realy love this progam. I bought it after seeing other posts on here about the program.

I have AVS4YOU and before I bought the DVD Catalyst program, I used to use it to convert videos to PSP format. I was able to find a setting that would work for the NC but find the DVD Catalyst is much better because it is an all-in-one program that will do DVDs and Videos and supports many formats including NC and PSP though now that I have my NC, I may never play videos on PSP again and it is so easy to work with. :smileyhappy:

Thanks for making such a great product and for the great price. It is worth it whether you pay $10 or more for this program.

"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall