Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

Re: HEAVY HANDED MODERATION!

Nallia wrote:

To be fair, yocalif didn't ask for moderation.  I did.  :smileytongue:

And I reported the person who is the reason why they removed the thread.  Not Theriot_Publishing, but baby_chyll who was giving out bad information, homophobic slurs, creating links to potentially bad sites and all.  They asked me to send them screenshots and to give them urls of some of the offensive posts.  That most likely was one of them, so blame me.  It wasn't done for any other reason.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1

deemure wrote:

Nallia wrote:

And I reported the person who is the reason why they removed the thread.  Not Theriot_Publishing, but baby_chyll who was giving out bad information, homophobic slurs, creating links to potentially bad sites and all.  They asked me to send them screenshots and to give them urls of some of the offensive posts.  That most likely was one of them, so blame me.  It wasn't done for any other reason.

I think a lot of people were reporting baby_chyll and her other pesonalities - I know I was.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Nevermore1 wrote:

deemure wrote:

Nallia wrote:

I think a lot of people were reporting baby_chyll and her other pesonalities - I know I was.

I have been reporting baby_chyll since Feb., it sure took a long time for them to take any action.

I did not report Theriot_Publishing but  am not convinced that his religious rant was not the reason the thread was removed. I think he was reported by some and because of the nature of his posts the thread was ultimately removed. At the very least B&N might have been killing two birds with one stone.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe

Where is Michael-V when you need him? :smileywink:

Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Distinguished Correspondent
DaveAvl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

yocalif wrote:

Occassional off topic threads hurt nothing, and can contribute to the health of the communtiy.

Hence the Community Room, which is at the very top of the list of forums... and, ironically, one of the stickied threads toward the top of it begins with:

"We've noticed that people are starting to post new threads about eReader and nook issues here in the Community Room.  While we at B&N are more than happy to address your concerns, the designated place for these issues is the eBook Help Board, this is where you will find the admins  - and in many cases, fellow users -  who have the specific knowledge to answer these questions.  Any threads on these subjects that we see here will be relocated to the eBook Help Board..."

So it looks like the Community Room is the place intended for getting to know one another, sharing news, and so forth...

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I may be wrong as to why the thread was removed.  Like I said after I started seeing what was happening to the thread I moved on.  I only came back when I looked at the what was then the final page, and saw how Theriot_Publis… reply to the jesus save you post.  At that point I decided to get back involved, and stop a 2nd off thread tangent, and failed.

However I am not wrong about the the general topic over Heavy Handed Moderation, which I feel is not condusive to building a strong community.  There are a couple of others that have been around as long as I have on public forums, I go back to the modem over dialup days and bulletin boards.  You don't have to agree but a community develops around a forum.  Pure tech support forums have no community, people ask their questions and get their answers and move on.  This forum has a lot of regulars most really like their NC and feel ok with B&N, in following developments on this forum about the Nookcolor they have participated in dozens of conversation on subjects from Nookcolor to why I love my cat.  In between have been a couple of hot topics, which is ok too.  Having a loose community structure instead of a rigid format, IMHO is the better format.

No one has to agree with me.

I admit I reacted  when I saw the thread disappear, I saw this coming when many start demanding moderation after the Nallia incident.  (I'm not saying they shouldn't complain to admin that incident demanded actiion).  I attributed the thread removal to the Theriot_Publis… posts, and I was wrong, the bigger issue was Nallia's.  Again admitting my error, is not an admission that my premise is wrong.  Again you don't have to agree.

In the early days of the internet when it was all text based, we hated any type of interference we loved the freedom.  People seem so willing these days to hand over their freedoms, I understand where those that disagree with me are coming from, but when you become the target of maniac Admin or Moderator, then you will know why I oppose such interference.

If the recent moderating actions become a regular event, like Nallia I too will have to evaluate if my time is worth this forum.

Having said all that, I have also participated in some wonderful forums where the moderation and openness was wonderfu.  A good moderator that knows what to do and when to do it, without bias, can be a good thing.  There are good cops and bad cops..  cops are govern by law, moderators are not, so we have to rely on the benevolence of the moderator / admin.  From personal experience I have seen moderators that were tyrants and the admin had no clue, it tooks months of proof to finally get the moderator removed.  I just happen to think we can manage pretty well by ourselves...  Again no one has to agree.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

yocalif wrote:

I may be wrong as to why the thread was removed.  Like I said after I started seeing what was happening to the thread I moved on.  I only came back when I looked at the what was then the final page, and saw how Theriot_Publis… reply to the jesus save you post.  At that point I decided to get back involved, and stop a 2nd off thread tangent, and failed.

However I am not wrong about the the general topic over Heavy Handed Moderation, which I feel is not condusive to building a strong community.  There are a couple of others that have been around as long as I have on public forums, I go back to the modem over dialup days and bulletin boards.  You don't have to agree but a community develops around a forum.  Pure tech support forums have no community, people ask their questions and get their answers and move on.  This forum has a lot of regulars most really like their NC and feel ok with B&N, in following developments on this forum about the Nookcolor they have participated in dozens of conversation on subjects from Nookcolor to why I love my cat.  In between have been a couple of hot topics, which is ok too.  Having a loose community structure instead of a rigid format, IMHO is the better format.

No one has to agree with me.

I admit I reacted  when I saw the thread disappear, I saw this coming when many start demanding moderation after the Nallia incident.  (I'm not saying they shouldn't complain to admin that incident demanded actiion).  I attributed the thread removal to the Theriot_Publis… posts, and I was wrong, the bigger issue was Nallia's.  Again admitting my error, is not an admission that my premise is wrong.  Again you don't have to agree.

In the early days of the internet when it was all text based, we hated any type of interference we loved the freedom.  People seem so willing these days to hand over their freedoms, I understand where those that disagree with me are coming from, but when you become the target of maniac Admin or Moderator, then you will know why I oppose such interference.

If the recent moderating actions become a regular event, like Nallia I too will have to evaluate if my time is worth this forum.

Having said all that, I have also participated in some wonderful forums where the moderation and openness was wonderfu.  A good moderator that knows what to do and when to do it, without bias, can be a good thing.  There are good cops and bad cops..  cops are govern by law, moderators are not, so we have to rely on the benevolence of the moderator / admin.  From personal experience I have seen moderators that were tyrants and the admin had no clue, it tooks months of proof to finally get the moderator removed.  I just happen to think we can manage pretty well by ourselves...  Again no one has to agree.

I certainly HOPE the reason for the thread removal wasn't posts by Theriot_Publishing.  If the people and mods around here are that wound-up about their religious insecurities that his posts threaten them, then I, for one, have better ways (and places) to spend my time. 

Good grief.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

I think the reason the thread was removed is that those "three" members were identified by name, as was the right thing to do. I know this because my post saying that the thread was ridiculous was removed first because then my post was quoted in someone elses post with the names of the "three." I hope this makes sense, but then again, nothing that happened on that thread or to that thread made sense.
Correspondent
retiefBD

Yo, yocalif, I find it somewhat ironic that you will so vigorously hop on your own soapbox, and defend it beyond defense.  Then again, don't we all, when the soapbox is ours?

Might I most humbly suggest that we all thnk about acting like responsible adults, and stop throwing way OT hissy fits whenever we see fit.  No matter if they are Nook related, such as all the whining regarding what the update should/shouldn't have been, the latest World News, or how annoyed you are regarding what you consider "Heavy Handed Moderation". 

Personally, as I noted in another thread, I would have preferred that the Administration made a very public post regarding said individuals.  At times I believe the Puritans had it right, bring back the Stocks :smileywink:

Wordsmith
mariel9898

flyingtoastr wrote:

BN deleted the post because it was off-topic, and off-topic threads are strictly against the TOS of these forums. Period.

Stop being pissed off. You asked for moderation, you got it.

I really don't think the thread was deleted for being off topic. I think it was the posts of a certain someone who went by baby_chyll, kapusukdulan and certain other screen names. I also reported a bunch of these posts yesterday and if that person ever posts here again I will report them again. They were nasty and abusive and added nothing to the conversation, their only purpose was to inflame people. Further, this person just about stalked other forum members onto other threads just to post more nasty comments. This person also gave people bad advice in many threads.

This is supposed to be a community. I don't mind the occasional off topic threads. Many are quite interesting even when I don't contribute or when I don't agree with posters. To have someone deliberately give bad information to others and post links to bad sites goes against any sense of community as does deliberately posting mean and nasty things about someone not in response to anything that was posted but only because they can, only because they choose to be a complete and total nuisance.

Some may say to just ignore those posts, but for those of us reading the threads it was nearly impossible to do so as this person posted several times on each thread using different screen names. Very hard to ignore.

I am glad that this person is gone. May s/he never show up here again, and if certain rumors are true I hope that person is no longer employed. If that person was not kicked off I would never have come back again. If closing a thread that was getting much too heated was part of the fallout so be it.

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42

Lets be honest, how often have we seen moderators responding in threads and deleting posts ad hoc. No, this action was in respone to what I would say was a large out pouring of complaints from the community itself. I think everyone agrees that the three screen names in the OBL post were posting content that was above and beyond worse than anything else seen on these boards. Until there is actually heavy handed moderation its a bit dramatic to start sounding the warning of draconian moderators issuing verdicts on high.
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez

I lost a crap ton of laurels in that thread.... sigh. Fair trade for a little tranquility...
Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

16 thousand + threads to choose from not to mention that a registered member can start their own thread. Why on earth do people think they have the right to tell me what i can or cant post. If your not interested in a topic/thread move on. Mind your own business. Everyone of us has the CHOICE to either participate or ignore a thread. Exercize your freedom to do so. Noboby likes a busieboby. JMHO
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT

phoneboy wrote:
16 thousand + threads to choose from not to mention that a registered member can start their own thread. Why on earth do people think they have the right to tell me what i can or cant post. If your not interested in a topic/thread move on. Mind your own business. Everyone of us has the CHOICE to either participate or ignore a thread. Exercize your freedom to do so. Noboby likes a busieboby. JMHO

Doesn't it sound so simple?   Guess it is right up there with wishing for world peace.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Inspired Wordsmith
my9cats

chuck4prez wrote:
I lost a crap ton of laurels in that thread.... sigh. Fair trade for a little tranquility...

Here. You can have one back!

Nook Color Wallpapers
Wordsmith
dparrothead1

It is very, very simple.  You just respect every ones right to have an opinion and don't get personal!!!  That's all it takes!!

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Distinguished Correspondent
Nookycooky

Dear Chuck,

I lost a ton of laurels too...I don't think that's at all fair.  So...here's one for you.  Cheer up.

Nookycooky

All charged up and ready to go...my Nook's are too....
Correspondent
retiefBD

phoneboy wrote:
 Why on earth do people think they have the right to tell me what i can or cant post. If your not interested in a topic/thread move on. Mind your own business. Everyone of us has the CHOICE to either participate or ignore a thread. Exercize your freedom to do so. Noboby likes a busieboby. JMHO

Maybe because it is "their" (Barnes and Nobles) forum?  "Their" servers?  "Their" house?  Don't you have the right to decide what is and isn't acceptable behavior in YOUR (empahsis on purpose pointed at the General You, not the Specific You) house?

People like to yack a lot about freedom and what they can/can't do, often forgetting that freedom:

a: Does not come free

b. One of the things freedom costs is responsibility.

In short, "they" have the right because, after all, it is "their" house we are playing in.  Want different rules?  Go to a different house, or make your own..

Oh, one last thing.  Let us not forget that Barnes and Noble is a business, and as such they have other rules they should abide by.  For example, if a business is found to harbor illegal material on their servers, no matter who put it there, there can be rather severe repercussions.  So when businesses put up a public forum such as this they do have to be even more cautious than a simple hosting company.

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Is it time to burn the witches yet?

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!