Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
WildNole
0 Kudos

HELP!!! Think I Have Fried My NC

[ Edited ]

I have been running the dual boot from an SD card for about a month with no problems.  Earlier today I got the genius idea of trying to update from one of hte most recent builds from here:

http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=encore

I chose the newest version, copied to my SD card, booted it and all was well until just a while ago.  I was copying some music to my SD card and wanted to check to see if it was there before moving more files when the problems began.

The bottom line is that I am no longer able to boot to the normal NC OS. When the SD card was in I would try to boot with the EMMC option and it would go to CM7.  I took the SD card out and it is still booting to CM7 and acts as if it is the first time I did this.  In other words, it wants me to set up my account and there are none of my apps, books, etc.

When It books now I get a green symbol with "Cyanogen" in the middle before getting the blue one with the little Adroid guy with the arrow going around him.  Also, in this mode my computer doesn't recognize the NC when connected with a USB cable.  

To make this all even more wonderful, I leave for a month in Italy tomorrow and expcted my NC to be a big part of that trip.

So any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!  Thanks!!!

Correspondent
moogs
0 Kudos

Re: HELP!!! Think I Have Fried My NC

If you don't get a response, you could always try the reboot 8x method to get back to stock, reload 1.2 and figure it out when you get back. At least you can take your books and music.
Frequent Contributor
WildNole
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is that based on my reading of the reboot 8X method you have to be booting into the NC OS.  My problem is that it is booting straight into CM7 as if I have actually rooted it.  Which I don't *think* I have done.

The good news is that was finally able to get it to boot from the SD card into the version of CM7 I was running with all my apps/books/etc there as they were.  I can use that but the issue had been the battery drain.  Fortunately, I will be able to reload with with electricity the entire time I am in Italy. 

But if anyone else has any additional suggestions, I would really appreciate it.  

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Have you plugged your NC into your PC? if so, what does the file structure look like?

Frequent Contributor
WildNole
0 Kudos

Just a bit more information.  After booting from the SD card I connected the NC to my PC and under the directory for the NC there was only one file folder listed which was "LOST.DIR."  No other folders or files or nothing.  I'm guessing the solution is simply to follow one of the total resets to stock NC and the updating to 1.2.  But at least I can run it off the SD card in the short run!

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

WildNole wrote:

Just a bit more information.  After booting from the SD card I connected the NC to my PC and under the directory for the NC there was only one file folder listed which was "LOST.DIR."  No other folders or files or nothing.  I'm guessing the solution is simply to follow one of the total resets to stock NC and the updating to 1.2.  But at least I can run it off the SD card in the short run!

On that note, you might as well finishing up the internal setup and see if you like how it runs internally.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

If you really like CM7, you'll like it better off internal memory, I expect.

But if you want to restore your internal memory to a working state, no worries. 

There's a one-step  Clockwork flashable 1.2 in the world now.

Use CWR to erase /system and /data before you apply the 1.2 OS.

Details here: 

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/clean-12-install.html

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.