Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
eaglesfanbc
0 Kudos

HSN Nook Updates

I have an HSN Nook and still have not received the update. Is anyone else in the same boat?
Contributor
nooky56
0 Kudos

Re: HSN Nook Updates

Just go to Barnes and Noble website and side load it.  They have very simple instructions for doing it yourself.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

If you're willing to download the update manually, you can have the update any time.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nookcolor-support-software-update/379002520/?cds2Pid=35758

New User
eaglesfanbc
0 Kudos

Tried that. Twice. Done as told both times. After dropping zip file on F: NookColor, I wait awhile and look for update to be done. Doesn't update and file totally disappears. Now what?

Contributor
kimmie3
0 Kudos

If you have a Barnes and Noble near you, you can have them sideload the update.  Most associates have been taught how to do it.  It took less than 5 minutes.

New User
eaglesfanbc
0 Kudos

None within 20 minutes from home and worked 12 hours today. No thanks today. Thank you anyway.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

I had the same problem on the last update, and although it's not an officially recognized way of doing it, I just connected my computer to my NC with the USB cable and instead of saving the update to my computer first, I saved it directly to the Nook.  Within seconds after doing that, it started installing.

New User
eaglesfanbc
0 Kudos

Will try. Thanks.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

1. Make sure your nook is awake when connecting to computer.

2. Properly eject by right clicking on the drive and choosing eject not safely remove hardware.

3. Disconnect and wait for update to start. Takes up to 5 minutes to start.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

geatdanemomDT wrote:

1. Make sure your nook is awake when connecting to computer.

2. Properly eject by right clicking on the drive and choosing eject not safely remove hardware.

3. Disconnect and wait for update to start. Takes up to 5 minutes to start.

"Safely Remove" worked fine for me running Windows 7 Home Premium. The B&N page says either is ok, but I guess it's worth a try.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

richardwrite25 wrote:

I had the same problem on the last update, and although it's not an officially recognized way of doing it, I just connected my computer to my NC with the USB cable and instead of saving the update to my computer first, I saved it directly to the Nook.  Within seconds after doing that, it started installing.

This is what I had to do with the second NC I was updating.  The first one worked fine, but the file kept disappearing on the second one, so I downloaded directly with it connected to the PC (as if downloading to a drive) and after ejecting, it went to sleep and updated right away.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
eaglesfanbc
0 Kudos

richardwrite25 wrote:

This worked for me. Thank you.

Correspondent
Bella_Reader
0 Kudos

Tip: doubly check that you are not saving the .zip file on your micro sd card, should you have one. I thought for sure I was doing it correctly until I took out my card and saw no file on the nook.
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Also, the update initiates once the nook goes to sleep. So if you have a long sleep time set, you can manually put it to sleep (not a power off) and within a few moments the installation begins.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Inspired Contributor
Velvet_Llama

Hey HSN, remember when you told your customers that if they bought from you they would be among the first to get the update, and when you didn't tell them that anybody could sideload the update as soon as it went live? Yeah, that was real cute.