Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Kayla_Loree
0 Kudos

Help Deciding

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking about getting the Nook however I'm really not sure if it's worth my money. If any of you can tell me certain things you love about it and what not it would be really useful. Thank you in advance.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Re: Help Deciding

I could give you a huge list of what I love about both of my NOOKs, but it might not help you any.  Why are you thinking about buying it?  What about it do you find attractive?  Why are you worried that it wouldn't be worth it to you?  Knowing these things will make it easier for people to help you.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

I agree with Nallia. There isn't anything not to like. It holds all my books for me. I have almost 2400, I think Nallia has over 300. It is so great. I would tell everyone to get One!
Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

Sorry, messed up, that was 200 books, not 2400!
Nallia
0 Kudos

dvt88 wrote:
Sorry, messed up, that was 200 books, not 2400!

LOL  I figured that you had a lot of PDFs or non-B&N books.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

@Nallia: they are all Books! Was writing from my nookcolor, and the key pad was acting crazy. Don't know why, I have never had any problems . It was typing double letters and wrong letters. Weird......
Nallia
0 Kudos

dvt88 wrote:
@Nallia: they are all Books! Was writing from my nookcolor, and the key pad was acting crazy. Don't know why, I have never had any problems . It was typing double letters and wrong letters. Weird......

Is it plugged into the charger?

Inspired Contributor
gogirlEH
0 Kudos

What is there not to love about the nookcolor. 1. Download books for free from library. 2. Backlight to read in bed at night. 3. Download pdf files. I put my knitting patterns and receipes on my nookcolor. 4. Love having internet access, check facebook,email,look up cool stuff. 5. Read me kids books way cool. 6. Magazines..love to bookmark the receipes in them. 7. Love being able to share my thoughts, recommends etc. On facebook while still reading the book. Really cool. 8. Love the dictionary. 9. The screen is unbelieveable. 10. Great size fits in purse..there's music..I have movies on it. You never run out of space cuz you can always just add another sd card. This thing is soooooooooo cool. Had a sony touch took it back. Had a kindle sold it. Buy a nc you won't be sorry.
Inspired Contributor
gogirlEH
0 Kudos

What is there not to love about the nookcolor. 1. Download books for free from library. 2. Backlight to read in bed at night. 3. Download pdf files. I put my knitting patterns and receipes on my nookcolor. 4. Love having internet access, check facebook,email,look up cool stuff. 5. Read me kids books way cool. 6. Magazines..love to bookmark the receipes in them. 7. Love being able to share my thoughts, recommends etc. On facebook while still reading the book. Really cool. 8. Love the dictionary. 9. The screen is unbelieveable. 10. Great size fits in purse..there's music..I have movies on it. You never run out of space cuz you can always just add another sd card. This thing is soooooooooo cool. Had a sony touch took it back. Had a kindle sold it. Buy a nc you won't be sorry.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Yes, its worth $250 and then some.   JMHO

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Frequent Contributor
William-Wilson
0 Kudos

I like the NookColor because it is easy to ready, easy to purchase the books I want, easy to carry with me no matter where I am going, and I enjoy the abililty to surf the net, check my email, listen to Pandora, play some Suduko and chess occasionally.  In addition, with the new update that should be coming soon, there will be additional capabilities added...maybe not everything that everyone wants, but additional capabilities.

If your looking for an eReader...there isn't a better one out there.  If you are looking for a full fledged tablet, it may not be for you...but it was not meant to be a full fledged tablet.  However, with the new update, it POTENTIALLY could be considered exactly that.

As far as the things I do not like about it.....as soon as I figure out what that is, I will get back with you.  I honestly have not had a single complaint about it.

Happiness is a choice.
Inspired Correspondent
mickeyquickrice
0 Kudos

My reply is when in doubt don't...Why is it a brain hemmorage for someone to make a decission?It is a no brainer...250.00 verses the rest...need I say more?

If I had a dollar for every book I have read I would be RICH!
Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

@Nallia: as a matter of fact it is pluged in. Is this why its acting kinda Crazy?
Nallia

dvt88 wrote:
@Nallia: as a matter of fact it is pluged in. Is this why its acting kinda Crazy?

Probably.  It happens sometimes.  Try unplugging it and plugging it back in.  Mine doesn't do it often, but when it does that tends to fix it.

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88

@Nallia: Yes! Your were Right! Gosh , I.m glad it happened when it did. Thank you so Much! That's why I love this Community! My nookcolor works great. And to think I didn't have to call BN CS. (Not like I Would! )LOL. THANKS. Happy Reading!
Wordsmith
melouria
0 Kudos

The only thing I dislike about the NC is its short battery life.  I do have to charge it each night.  But I also charge my phone and IPOD touch each night, too.  Just a fact of life I am used to by now.  Love everything else and looking forward to the Update!  :smileyhappy:

Nallia
0 Kudos

dvt88 wrote:
@Nallia: Yes! Your were Right! Gosh , I.m glad it happened when it did. Thank you so Much! That's why I love this Community! My nookcolor works great. And to think I didn't have to call BN CS. (Not like I Would! )LOL. THANKS. Happy Reading!

WOOHOO!  I love it when things work out right.  :smileyhappy:

To the OP:

• I love being able to carry hundreds of books with me everywhere I go.
  • I love reading books on it.
  • I love Night Mode.
  • I love borrowing library books on it.
  • I love being able to load ebooks from other ebooks stores.
  • I love reading magazines on it.
  • I love being able to easily browse the web on it.
  • I love that it has a MicroSD card slot.
  • I love watching my videos on it (Yay, Firefly!)
  • I love carrying tons of full-size pictures on it.
  • I love the screen resolution.
  • I love Pandora, but don't really use it on my NC; I use my phone for this instead to conserve battery life.
  • I love Kids Read to Me ebooks.
  • I don't check my email or manage my Google calendar because I have a smart phone, but it's great for that too.

Yes, I think it was definitely worth the money.  I would buy it again.

Again, if you have specifi questions about it we'd be happy to answer them.

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

To OP: and there is a lot more to Come! You will love It!
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

To the OP:

It all depends on you and what you want or want-need. 

If this is regarding the NOOKcolor well consider that magazines look great on it and are a pleasure to read.

You can convert movies to watch on it, which look great.

And of course you can read, surf the web, and so on and on.

I love mine, but everyone needs to make the decision for themselves as to what they are looking for.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

Everything positive that everyone above said.

Plus I love the fact that it is easy to root it. If I'm disappointed in the coming update and app store I will just re-root and have full access to both the Android Market and the Amazon App Store.

Now, you have to ask yourself why do you want one? If you are looking to get a full fledged tablet out of it (rooted or not) you might be disappointed. If you are looking for the best e-reader on the market that does quite a bit more you will be delighted.