Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
jaspereira
0 Kudos

Help - Dual-Boot- CM7 (sd Card) + Stock

I'm sure I read something about it somewhere, but I can't find it now...

I just installed CM7 do a uSD card and it's all running smoothly...

But I want to have the option to boot directly from Stock, without having to take the card off.

What should I do?

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Re: Help - Dual-Boot- CM7 (sd Card) + Stock

I have yet to hear someone talk about that sort of configuration, but you may want to research manual nooter. It can go back and forth between B&N stock and a number of launchers just by pressing the home button. I did that first, loved it, then made the cm7 HC dual boot sd, then loved that, so essencially, you can have the best of all 3 (or 4) worlds. But to the best of my knowledge, you either have to committ your root to internal storage, or remove your sd card to access stock.

Frequent Contributor
UrSunshine
0 Kudos

I'm sure I read something about it somewhere, but I can't find it now...

I just installed CM7 do a uSD card and it's all running smoothly...

But I want to have the option to boot directly from Stock, without having to take the card off.

What should I do?

----------------------------------------------

To jaspereira:

I'm not sure which CM7 you used to root.

But as for me, I followed Crash Tech Dummies' YouTube instructions to root CM7 on SD Card. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4nenR-mNo0)

Right after you boot (right after you press the power button), if you see a small green message saying something like...."press any key in 5 seconds to go to the boot menu...", then you and I are using the same CM7, and following steps will work for you.

After powering on the NC, there'll be a green message saying "Press any key within 5 seconds for boot menu".

Click the "N" button.

Then "Boot Option" comes out showing "Boot Device" as eMMC (the stock system) and "Boot Mode" as normal.

Just keep them as is, and move on by pressing "-" (volume) twice. (It might be three times~)

Then,

VOILA~

You'll boot to the stock system WITHOUT taking out the SD card.

Good Luck :smileywink:

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Ur Sunshine is right...the problem is probably with the IMG file you loaded.  I had the same problem.  However, the IMG link from Crash Tech Dummies is no longer working.  You will need to use this one:

http://nook.handhelds.ru/jtbnet/Nook...ltiBoot-v6.​zip

You will need to format your SD card, load the IMG file, and then flash your CM& and gapps files to it, and proceed with installing as you did before.  When installation is complete, when you boot up, you will be given a message to press the "-" if you wish to enter the boot menu.  If you press the "-" you will then go to the boot menu, press the "-" three more times and it will boot up in nook mode.  It you just turn it on and do nothing it will go to CM& mode.

Good luck.  it does get easier.  i reformatted and reinstalled a half a dozen times before someone told me it was the IMG file that was causing me problems.  You were wise to go ahead and ask here first.

Frequent Contributor
roxmysoxGA
0 Kudos

Since you've already gotten CM7 and it's running smoothly, you may want to check these threads out:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/How-to-create-a-Dual-Booted-Noo...

and

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=962708

It is as simple as replacing a single file, but pressing the home key for me boots into CM7.  I have to use the volume keys.  There are some instructions for setting this up to boot directly to EMMC, but that was a little too techy for me :smileywink:

Contributor
jaspereira
0 Kudos

My source is verygree`s guide, file "update-cm-7.1.0-RC0-encore-2.6.32-beta3.1". All I get when I turn my NC on is "loading"...
Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

ahh....i think I see the problem...did you use the "agnostic" SD IMG file in verygreen's thread?  unzipped about 120,000 kb?  if so, that is your problem.  That IMG file doesn't support dual boot.   I know, that is the one I used about a half a dozen times.  If this is indeed the case, I refer you to my previous post. 

Contributor
jaspereira
0 Kudos

Yes, it's exactly this file you mentioned...

But the good news is I just managed to replace the u-boot.bin file, so I got a boot menu now...

Thanks for your attention, anyway!

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

You are most welcome.  To me, a forum such as this is a place where people should be able to find help from those have acquired needed knowledge.  Just doing my part to make life a little better for someone else....

Jeremy

Contributor
Cpt420
0 Kudos

Hi, I used the crash tech dummies method of putting CM7 on a sd Card. It's running great and now my sister wants me to do it with hers. My question is, Can I just make a copy of my sd Card with the CM7 on it, and paste it onto a new sd Card and send that to my sister, so she can put it into her NC? (she is out of state) will that work?

Thanx, and always, pass to the left.
New User
JPCCOL
0 Kudos

I just purchased a new NC with software version 2.x.  I'm most interested in blue tooth access so I wanted to root the device.  Can it be done with the newest firmware?

New User
franster
0 Kudos

the link you put up is no longer working either. Can you help me find another one that will work?

New User
franster
0 Kudos

how did you do it? I am trying to figure out all the different versions out there, many with broken links and I still don't have a clue as to what I need to do to create a dual boot CM7 NC. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am not a tech person but can do all the basic computering stuff (PC). As long as I have step-by-step directions and working link, I can hadle it.

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

franster wrote:

the link you put up is no longer working either. Can you help me find another one that will work?

franster wrote:

how did you do it? I am trying to figure out all the different versions out there, many with broken links and I still don't have a clue as to what I need to do to create a dual boot CM7 NC. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am not a tech person but can do all the basic computering stuff (PC). As long as I have step-by-step directions and working link, I can hadle it.

The first two links from this site offer the identical dual-boot image file (a 400+ MB zipped img file):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1022786

For non-video instructions, I find the site below quite helpful (internal vs. SD card booting and specific help for PC vs Mac users):

http://clubnook.com/forum/showthread.php?953-Rooting-Instructions

with the exception that instead of downloading and using the generic-sdcard-v1.2.1.img.gz, you use the unzipped img file downloaded from the 1st site (above) of this message.

For good video instructions, the more you see the better you'll understand things, but I found Crash Tech Dummies quite good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4nenR-mNo0

Contributor
tinag379
0 Kudos

I have a question and im not sure im in the right place. I have cm7 on my class 4 8gb card. I want to know if i can still use the card to add other things like epubs I have or music or movies? I seen it somewhere but now I can't remember where. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yep just rolled a card myself. And when I downloaded Aldiko reader found out it wouldn't see my books on emmc B&N side. So hooked up to computer and copied them from emmc to the SD/ebooks folder.

If computer isn't seeing the nook. It is because the nook isn't a usb device. So click on the little circle with up arrow know as Notification icon. First setting is a notification there to turn on usb device. Just make sure when done to tunn it off again. As some apps need it in it's default non-usb state to run.

And CM7 in settings somewhere shows ram usage for SD and internal ram used and free. And others can chime in on default for 8gb card.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/