Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
CSmithMD
0 Kudos

Help...I tried to get cute by messing around with Honeycomb. I think I destroyed my NC

Just for kicks I tried to flash Honeycomb onto my NC.Yes, I know it's experimental and not really ready but I was curious. Anyway, It didn't work. Perhaps I had a bad SD card. It seems that the HC-V4-EMMC.zip file that I needed and was supposed to be on the SD card that I had was not there. In the meantime, during this process my NC was wiped clean. I had been already been rooted with autonooter on Nookie 1.0 but I no longer have that SD card, by the way. Now all I can get  on my screen is clockwork recovery. From clockwork recovery, I tried to do a restore using a backup that I'd already made with Root Backup but the NC doesn't read that backup when I have that SD card in. Now I am stuck. Suggestions anyone? :smileysad:

Correspondent
KapSukdulan
0 Kudos

Re: Help...I tried to get cute by messing around with Honeycomb. I think I destroyed my NC

I think i came across this issue back in the XDA developer forum that i usually troll... you can check it there as well...

NOOK for China iPad rip-off
Inspired Correspondent
FredOak3

Re: Help...I tried to get cute by messing around with Honeycomb. I think I destroyed my NC

Do a stock recovery back to 1.1

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=945838

file and instructions are above.

Then do a sideload back to 1.2 or try honeycopmb again.

I had CM7 running on mione but you can't read B&N magazines so I went back to stock

Wordsmith
Droiddict

Guide to fixing my nook won't boot issues--

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=949699

Starts with 8 failed boots in your case iirc

Correspondent
KapSukdulan
0 Kudos

I actually managed not 

NOOK for China iPad rip-off
Inspired Contributor
CSmithMD
0 Kudos

FredOak3 wrote:

I had CM7 running on mione but you can't read B&N magazines so I went back to stock

Thanks. I am trying this but I can't get the image to copy over to my sd card. It gets to 99% then I get a Windows error message stating that the file can not be read.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

There is a 1.0.1 image referred to on xdadevs that I posted a link to here recently. 

I know that it works.  You may have no room on your SDcard -- you may not have started with a big enough SD image or SDcard (I have a couple of 4G cards, one for backups, one for dumping CWR images onto for reflashing.) 

Once you have a bootable NC, you can either sideload a prerooted 1.1 or apply the 1.2 update. 

If you go the 1.2 update route, you will need to hunt down the remove CWR instructions, also on XDA.

In general, for this kind of thing, xda is a much better place than here for technical discussions.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
CSmithMD
0 Kudos

CSmithMD wrote:

FredOak3 wrote:

Thanks. I am trying this but I can't get the image to copy over to my sd card. It gets to 99% then I get a Windows error message stating that the file can not be read.

Also, since this image file is a ZIP file, do I need to extract it first?

Inspired Contributor
CSmithMD
0 Kudos

CSmithMD wrote:

CSmithMD wrote:

FredOak3 wrote:

Also, since this image file is a ZIP file, do I need to extract it first?

One more thing, do I need to format the sd card before I can copy the disk image to it?

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Please read the xda devs link posted above.  Find more if that one does not give you explicit instructions. 

You format the microsd card with the bootable CWR image that you download.

Then you copy the zip file to that CWR disk, so you can find the zip file once you boot from CWR.

You do not unzip the zipped, flashable system file. 

Once you are sure you know what I'm referring to when I mention "CWR image" and "flashable system" you are ready to begin. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
CSmithMD
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Please read the xda devs link posted above.  Find more if that one does not give you explicit instructions. 

You format the microsd card with the bootable CWR image that you download.

Then you copy the zip file to that CWR disk, so you can find the zip file once you boot from CWR.

You do not unzip the zipped, flashable system file. 

Once you are sure you know what I'm referring to when I mention "CWR image" and "flashable system" you are ready to begin. 

Well, this is what I was attempting to do as mentioned on XDA site:

Copy image to sdcard using WinImage. The sdcard has to be at least 1 GB. Under the disk menu, choose your sdcard then under disk menu again choose restore. If the disk is in use, you will not be able to copy the image to the card. Eject the card then try again. Avoid opening or automounting the card because winimage will see the card as being in use again.

The image file that I downloaded refuses to copy to the micro sd. It has gotten to 99% then I get the error message saying the file is unreadable. Been searching on XDA for mor specifics but thus far haven't found the step by step that an lame amatuer like myself needs.

Inspired Contributor
CSmithMD
0 Kudos

That's it. The Nook Color is going in the trash.

roustabout
0 Kudos

ok, pull it out of the bin and try these links, from a post I put up Sunday trying to help someone in a similar position as yourself:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/B-amp-N-Next-Big-STEP/m-p/100247...

Wordsmith
irunlikeagirl
0 Kudos

Hey CD....here is a link to Huskermania's tutorial for how to restore you NC. This does involve using Clockwork, but he has all the links there to download and tells you exactly what to do step by step. It is possible that you just got a bad image file. Try this link: http://m.youtube.com/#/profile?user=huskermania&v=szlGSBtWbKY&view=videos
Wordsmith
irunlikeagirl
0 Kudos

PS...you can't brick it. You just havent found the right fix yet. If the huskermania vid doesnt work, go to the facebook page "customizing your nook color". The admins and posters over there are very knowledgable and WILL know how to get you up and running. And they respond quickly.
Inspired Contributor
CSmithMD
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

ok, pull it out of the bin and try these links, from a post I put up Sunday trying to help someone in a similar position as yourself:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/B-amp-N-Next-Big-STEP/m-p/100247...

It's just not working. I have been at this for over 12 hours. I finally got the "monster" root pack image to copy to my micro sd. I followed all of the directions I found on XDA. They don't make it easy for the average guy like me to understand either. Anyway, from Clockwork recovery mode I Installed the root.zip file, the google apps.zip file and rebooted but when I reboot nothing happens. I tried formatting data and formatting system along with the above and rebooted. Still a black screen.I tried "apply update from sd card". Clockwork recovery tells me the operation is invalid. It's 2:30 am. If I wasn't so tired I would scream and smash this thing all to hell.
roustabout
0 Kudos

Sorry this so frustrating for you.

The zips you tried work until you have a valid OS installed.

The order is:

- make the SD image (which it sounds you like you do have)

- copy the1.0.1 restore image to that SD card as a zip file

- install the 1.0.1 restore file from within the CWR system

- remove the SDCard and boot your device. 

If you can't get a boot from a restored unit, yeah, you've cooked your internal

memory. 

This is the specific XDA thread covering restoring to stock

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=914690

Good luck! 

Correspondent
SRay
0 Kudos

CSmithMD wrote:

It's just not working. I have been at this for over 12 hours. I finally got the "monster" root pack image to copy to my micro sd. I followed all of the directions I found on XDA. They don't make it easy for the average guy like me to understand either. Anyway, from Clockwork recovery mode I Installed the root.zip file, the google apps.zip file and rebooted but when I reboot nothing happens. I tried formatting data and formatting system along with the above and rebooted. Still a black screen.I tried "apply update from sd card". Clockwork recovery tells me the operation is invalid. It's 2:30 am. If I wasn't so tired I would scream and smash this thing all to hell.

It looks like you might be trying to do too much all at one time. Follow roustabout's instructions to get the NC back to a stock condition. Don't try to root or install anything else (like the Gapps) until you can get it to reboot as a stock unit.

The part about removing the SD card is very important. Also,  from within Clockwork recovery mode, before I installed the 1.0.1 firmware zip file, I formatted the system and data areas, per the xda instructions. This cleans things up so that there isn't anything hanging around to mess with the 1.0.1 firmware when you install it from the zip file. 

After you get it back to stock 1.0.1, then you can update it to stock 1.2 or try to root/otherwise mess around with it. 

We know it's frustrating. I tried to root my new NC with the Clockwork stuff when it had a bug in it that stuck my NC in a boot loop. I thought I'd bricked my brand new unit (boy, was I kicking myself), but I found the instructions to get back to 1.0.1, and all was well. I, too, messed up a couple of times by not following the instructions to the letter (including removing the sd card), and it WAS pretty frustrating. But as many people on this forum have said, it's amazing how bulletproof the NC seems to be. It really does seem to be very hard to permanently brick it.

I hope all goes well and you get it up and running with little additional pain. The cool thing is that once you've gotten the hang of getting it back to stock, you can feel much less apprehensive about trying other exotic stuff with it.

Inspired Contributor
CSmithMD

Thanks Roustabout and SRay, et al. Roust, I wish that I had your last posting yesterday around 2pm! It's all good though. Well, I finally got my NC fixed. 20+ hours later. What a nightmare! That's it. I am done fooling around with things. Thanks for all of the suggestions. :smileywink:

Correspondent
SRay
0 Kudos

CSmithMD wrote:

Thanks Roustabout and SRay, et al. Roust, I wish that I had your last posting yesterday around 2pm! It's all good though. Well, I finally got my NC fixed. 20+ hours later. What a nightmare! That's it. I am done fooling around with things. Thanks for all of the suggestions. :smileywink:

You're welcome.

I tend to have a pretty high tolerance for all the hassles of rooting, as I've rooted four iPhones (2G, 3G, and two 3GS's), as well as a Windows phone that I turned into an Android phone. So just about everything that can go wrong, has gone wrong for me.

And even with this high tolerance, the NC rooting experience was at first frustrating, for the reasons listed in that other thread where posters were lamenting the arcane instructions over at xda-developers. The developers over there do great work, but often speak in a sort of shorthand that assumes you already know a lot about the process and already have a  lot of experience rooting the NC.

Ah well, at least with posters like roustabout, who are both patient AND able to explain things clearly, most nooksters with messed up nooks eventually end up with functioning devices.