Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
jeddo4
0 Kudos

Help!!!! My nook was rooted, but now it wont even turn on.....

My husband watched the video on YouTube, read the articles, did it step by step..It worked that night, then i shut it down....when i try to turn it on, all that appears is the Android guy, and it does not go any further.  I dont know what to do because at this point he cant even unroot it since we cant go any further that the pic on the screen.  Before he did this i never had issues with the power button. What is he doing wrong?  Do you think this can be fixed?? Thank you for reading.

Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT
0 Kudos

Re: Help!!!! My nook was rooted, but now it wont even turn on.....

It can be fixed. First make sure there's not a card in the sd card slot. Then try restarting it.

Distinguished Correspondent
vitaminbillwebb
0 Kudos

This happened to me, too. When rooting, the first rule is "Don't Panic." Make sure the SD card isn't in there still. If it is, take it our. Then, use the eight failed boot-ups method to start the process of resetting to stock.

See this article: http://nookdevs.com/Flash_back_to_clean_stock_ROM

That's what I had to do. Maybe there's a better method?

VBW

Reader 2
Gadget_Girl73
0 Kudos

This has happened to me a few times since I rooted.  All you have to do is hold down all 3 buttons (the power button on the upper right corner, the + Volume button on the upper left corner, and the "N" button).  Hold all 3 until it restarts, and it should boot normally.  If it doesn't, do it again.  This will NOT remove the root or restore your Nook back to stock.  I panicked when mine did this too!!  Hope this helps...  :-)

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

Gadget_Girl73 wrote:

This has happened to me a few times since I rooted.  All you have to do is hold down all 3 buttons (the power button on the upper right corner, the + Volume button on the upper left corner, and the "N" button).  Hold all 3 until it restarts, and it should boot normally.  If it doesn't, do it again.  This will NOT remove the root or restore your Nook back to stock.  I panicked when mine did this too!!  Hope this helps...  :-)

Ditto. And MAKE SURE that the card has been removed. A lot of people miss this step.

New User
jeddo4
0 Kudos

Thank you for the help.  Now it turns on, but when i go to a app i downloaded it will not open.  I am so frustrated.  Do you think we should unroot it, then root again? 

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

jeddo4 wrote:

Thank you for the help.  Now it turns on, but when i go to a app i downloaded it will not open.  I am so frustrated.  Do you think we should unroot it, then root again? 

You need to make sure you are logged in to Google Talk in order to download apps. When they download, you will not see them in the Extras until you completely reboot your NC. You can open them right away from the notifications area. If you want to see them right away you have to install another launcher.

Frequent Contributor
solitair
0 Kudos

I strongly suggest getting quickboot from the market. Makes rebooting much easier (expecially on my nook since my power button seems to think a butterfly flying by is a long press).

Wordsmith
irunlikeagirl
0 Kudos

I'm betting on the update coming on Friday, so I unrooted.  It's so easy to reroot, and I decided I'd like it to be factory fresh when I try out the new update.  You can alway reroot later! 

If you rooted with autonooter and decide to unroot, just go back to YouTube and use Huskermania's "How to Unroot Your Nook Color" video.  (Be sure to follow his direction of unregistering your nook color first...he show's you how)  If you used his root video involving CM7, you can unroot using Clockwork Manager.

Let us know what you decide, and good luck!  We are here to help should you have any questions/problems.  Remember....you really can't brick a Nook Color. 

New User
jeddo4
0 Kudos

Thank you for all of your help!!