Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
jeanniepep

Here are a million reasons why NookColor SUCKS!

Just kidding!!!

I absolutely adore the Nook Color. Nobody at Barnes & Noble "lied" to me and I did my own research anyway before purchasing, so if an employee had been misinformed about features I would have known it. It does everything I want it to do and then some, and does it extremely well. I understand that there were some malfunctioning NC's out there, but BN is doing their best to replace them. The NC's that work the way they're supposed to are awesome indeed! I can even read it in sunlight...I must have very magical eyes.

I really enjoyed visiting these boards and getting helpful information from everyone before so many uninformed individuals got one for Christmas and came on here to make endless complaints, and subsequently get mad when the people who have had an NC much longer dispute their complaints. 

Anybody who hates their NC so much should just take it BACK and SHUT UP! If you have a question about how to get it to do something or you want some advice, please fire away. But nobody here wants to read another litany of grievances.

Distinguished Correspondent
Allem-o
0 Kudos

Re: Here are a million reasons why NookColor SUCKS!

+1

Frequent Contributor
ResilientPhoenix
0 Kudos

jeanniepep wrote:

Just kidding!!!

I really enjoyed visiting these boards and getting helpful information from everyone before so many uninformed individuals got one for Christmas and came on here to make endless complaints, and subsequently get mad when the people who have had an NC much longer dispute their complaints. 

Agreed. Especially the part quoted above.

MiniMischief
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Woohoo Jeanniepep!  Agree wholeheartedly!  I sold three NCs int he store last week while waiting to get an accessory (and I don't even work at B&N).  It's the best.  I must have those same magical eyes because I don't have a single issue reading in the sun.

By all means, those who hate their NookColor return it and let someone who will love it have a chance. :smileyhappy:

Life is too short to read bad books. . .
Frequent Contributor
William-Wilson
0 Kudos

Finally someone says what we would all like to say.

I agree completely, and am glad to hear someone say it.  I really enjoyed my original Nook, and the Nook Color has been even better and I have zero complaints.

Happiness is a choice.
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling

Let me agree, but say it in a different way.

I have a Nook Classic that I have been using extensively for a number of months. When the NC came out, I was interested, but waited to see how it was received. It had excellent reviews, but from this forum (and others) it was obvious that there were a number of limitations, especially with PDF files. When I saw the rooting effort start, I waited until I was confident I could do the procedure. I then went to look at the NC at my local Best Buy. It was the quality of the screen that immediately sold me.

I bought it, I rooted it, I love it.

Anyone who has access to the internet really doesn't have too much of an excuse for thinking they were "fooled".

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

I read teh subject line and could not believe someone would think the NC sucks.    I was ready to chew you out then realized you were kidding :smileyhappy:   good one.

I am extremely pleased with the NC.  It has exeeded my expectations and I suspect it will only improve with age (sofware updates).

Frequent Contributor
ph10
0 Kudos

Thank you for voicing what so many have thought... I especially agree with you on this point:

"I really enjoyed visiting these boards and getting helpful information from everyone before so many uninformed individuals got one for Christmas and came on here to make endless complaints, and subsequently get mad when the people who have had an NC much longer dispute their complaints. "

Correspondent
Piechow
0 Kudos

8 out of 10

morgman

Its such an awesome device that it sells itself.  A couple of my coworkers saw my Nook Color facebook posts over the holidays.  This morning they saw my Nook Color and at lunch they BOTH went and bought their own, new Nook Color.  We had a registration party at lunch.

Two other coworkers now say they'll get one next paycheck.   That speaks louder about the device than any of the moaning we see in the forums. 

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

Science_man wrote:

I read teh subject line and could not believe someone would think the NC sucks.    I was ready to chew you out then realized you were kidding.

:smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Correspondent
Grammaknits02

I agree---I LOVE my NookColor!!!!!  I bought mine Saturday night after debating for weeks about if I wanted one.  I tried to talk myself out of it, and was doing a good job too, until a coworker brought hers to work Saturday morning and after playing around with it--I knew I could no longer resist...I could no longer talk myself out of it!!!  So I posted my Nook on craigslist, had it sold 5 minutes after posting it, and bought mine Saturday night.  I have no regrets and am very pleased!!!!

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
Frequent Contributor
768MPH
0 Kudos

and I was ready to jump through the screen and throw a box of tissues at you! I was thinking, not another Jack-Wagon!

Read on!

Mr. Pink
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

768MPH wrote:

and I was ready to jump through the screen and throw a box of tissues at you! I was thinking, not another Jack-Wagon!

Read on!

That is so funny. Thanks for the chuckle.

I totally agree with the OP....I love my device. I am soooo looking forward to the app store.

Inspired Correspondent
seescribe
0 Kudos

Now that was funny.

I felt like all the other posters before me.  I was like WHAT!!!! another complainer. 

I can't seem to part with mine.  I keep it close by, take it everywhere I go.  I will pull it out for even just a 10 minute break to get in just a little reading.  I got interested from just using nookpc on my computer.  I decided I really did like this concept (I won't have to carry so many different books and magazines around with me) and decided to get the nookcolor because I thought it had more options and expansion possiblities that would be of benefit to me.  I'm looking forward to them once they arrive.  In the meantime, I'm just trying to learn how to use the features I have now.

I have also really enjoyed this forum.  many great contributors who have helped me figure out things I was having a challenge finding or doing and it has been a great experience.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

Really good laugh.  I saw your name as the thread creator and knew it couldn't be serious.  I love my nook and my NOOKcolor.  I thought it was a bit over the top to get the NC not even a year after getting a nook, but couldn't help it.  I begged and pleaded for it for my birthday and find I actually like surfing the net better on it sometimes than on a computer.  Oh and yes I do read books and mags.

I am really tired of pointless threads where the person posts for the first time that they are returning their NC because it won't slice bread and then they never post again.  Most of us come on here to share thoughts and info and when those threads start up we know the person most often doesn't want help of any kind.  I have learned a lot from these threads, but it gets hard to weed through some of the sincere questions and the crazies.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

[ Edited ]

jeanniepep wrote:

Anybody who hates their NC so much should just take it BACK and SHUT UP! If you have a question about how to get it to do something or you want some advice, please fire away. But nobody here wants to read another litany of grievances.

I disagree with you 100%.  <shock!>  I think that's a really lousy attitude to take, but one that's sadly shared by many participants here.

Obviously, it would be far better if those experiencing problems came here with politely worded requests for help or information.  And that would be much easier to take.  Unfortunately, if their first experience is negative, due to some problem (real or imaginary), they're likely to be frustrated and well, grumpy.  Especially if they had high expectations.

The crowd here is so defensive about their NCs that I've seen time and time again that 'dissenters' get attacked, rather than helped.  Most here don't take well to criticism, and I can understand and even sympathize what that, to some extent.  I originally came here to gain pre-purchase knowledge, and get a feel for support from the community.  However, if this forum was my only basis, I would never have ordered an NC at all.  It's not a friendly place.  That's a sad commentary.

There are at least two potential approaches to take with the 'annoying whiners'.  Either overlook the tone of their posts and just directly address the problems they're having.  And try and guide them through that phase of their experience, and convert them into enthusiastic supporters.  That would certainly be well within the realm of possibility.  But would require that folks here lose their 'thin skins', and be more tolerant of those who aren't (yet) having the same great Nook experience that they're enjoying.

Or, just tell them to 'SHUT UP' and GET OUT.  And they will.  :smileysad:  Frankly, I don't see how that helps either B&N, or NC owners, who will benefit more from having a larger constituency than a smaller one.  ???

That's just my, contrarian, opinion.  Flame away.

- Mark

MiniMischief
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

The crowd here is so defensive about their NCs that I've seen time and time again that 'dissenters' get attacked, rather than helped.  Most here don't take well to criticism, and I can understand and even sympathize what that, to some extent.  I originally came here to gain pre-purchase knowledge, and get a feel for support from the community.  However, if this forum was my only basis, I would never have ordered an NC at all.  It's not a friendly place.  That's a sad commentary. . .

I won't flame, promise.  I only think that I've gotten defensive with my beloved nook because I'm tired of reading the same thing over and over here.  I personally would never just go into a forum and start writing until I've read what others have said.  Of course that's just me. 

So many issues can be easily corrected and if one would just take a moment to search and read they would most likely find the answer and move on.  I've spent many hours on this forum answering polite requests for info but today I snapped and made a joke about someone overusing exclamation points that turned into a huge argument, even though I said I was playing around.  But I also answered many of the OP's questions.  I'm sorry you don't find this a friendly place.  I've made some online friends and I enjoy reading posts here.  Please don't mistake sarcasm for unfriendliness.  We're kind of a eclectic bunch.  Must be because we're so well read!:smileytongue: 

I think Jenniepep was just saying that we get what people don't like about nookcolor and there really isn't any reason to just come here and list away what you don't like.  If you want info and have questions, or even want to discuss without just going on and on about what a terrible device this is, we are happy to help. 

So, Mark, how do you like your Nookolor?

Life is too short to read bad books. . .
Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

MiniMischief wrote:

I think Jenniepep was just saying that we get what people don't like about nookcolor and there really isn't any reason to just come here and list away what you don't like.  If you want info and have questions, or even want to discuss without just going on and on about what a terrible device this is, we are happy to help. 

Very true. Anybody having a problem who needs help is always welcome (and there are many many threads reflecting this), in fact I've read a lot of those threads and they helped me figure out the ins and outs of my own NC as I was getting to know it.

But if you're just here to say "I think your favorite toy is a piece of s**t and anybody who likes it is stupid" and then call us "defensive" for disagreeing, should most definitely GO AWAY. I'm sure there's an anti-Nook message board somewhere that will make them much happier.

Contributor
SimpleDesign
0 Kudos

Since I bought mine...I have sold another 5 just by letting people mess with it and check it out.