Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: How is this even possible? Internet problems with update

This is pretty interesting stuff (from a hilarious somethingawful thread discussing this bug report)

I cannot verify that any of the statements made are true, but they are VERY interesting.

And the thread itself?  Highly entertaining. 

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3406032

"I have been working on android framework code and testing it since around an year now. I believe that the problem is with the CPU sleep. The DHCP lease time which android measures is based on the system clock. The system clock stops when the CPU goes to sleep, and restarts when CPU is woken up. So if you connect to an access point (lets say it gives a lease of one hour) and then just put your phone idle without touching the screen, the phone will not even try to renew the lease. So basically, whether your phone will or will not renew the lease depends on if it is awake or asleep. That perhaps explain why the behavior is somewhat random and not so easy to reproduce with normal usage. Perhaps, android should use the RTC (real time clock) instead of the system clock to measure the dhcp times, so as to make sure the lease is renewed in time."

If that is true, that is bad in a whole lot of ways. 

In the thread, someone pulled this out, which is interesting:  

"I have built the froyo (2_2) source on the Nexus One and tested it against our AP. The standard google build on the Nexus One appears to DHCP_OFFER before DHCP_REQUEST when I unlock the screen (does not exhibit the symptom). Additionally the log messages produced by the malfunctioning Galaxy S 2_2 are quite different -
There is no code in external/dhcpcd/client.c to produce these messages.
11:39:11.961 I/dhcpcd (22519): AP Address Get.111... 0:12:17...
11:39:11.961 I/dhcpcd (22519): Current ST = 2
11:39:11.961 I/dhcpcd (22519): if(eth0)bssid info get Success. (MAC : 00:12:17:88:B9:smileyvery-happy:5
11:39:11.961 I/dhcpcd (22519): STATE_REQUESTING (addr : 6401A8C0 maks: FFFFFF)

So the Galaxy S appears to be running proprietary code within dhcpcd.    I am therefore a little stuck - no means to reproduce the fault on a built which I can get more debug info."

This raises the possibilty that with testing, BN could possibly change some of the behavior on the client side. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
crabbybob
0 Kudos

After updating to 1.2 my nook would bring down my westell router every time it connected to the. I followed a set of instructions someone posted to reset the nook and it cleared up the problem. If i remember correctly I held down the 'n' and power buttons at the same time 5 times in a row and eventually got to a screen that gave me two options. I chose the one that reset the device. By the way I'm very satisfied with new firmware. The email exceeds my needs, and flash opened up my favorite streaming radio websites.
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

I had the same issue with my NC when it was new back in december.  It was causing all wifi devices(9) in the home to loose connection inconsitantly, and it all started with the addition of the NC.  I unsecured my network, enabled mac filtering, and stopped broadcasting.  Since then all devices share bandwidth fairly.

Contributor
Rayug
0 Kudos

Changing lease time to 5 days didn't fix my problem.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Thanks, Ray.

I think that gives us two data points that whatever's odd in the client, it doesn't completely match the Princeton-reported issue.

But the vendors also do some of their own wifi code, which is interesting. 

I hope the source code release today will help the community address this issue. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
Rancher123
0 Kudos

I also sideloaded the update (too impatient to wait) and had the same problem as everyone else posting on this thread.  NC would not connect and would kick everything else off the wireless.

After reading this and others (and being generally handy while not a genius) I was able to get my NC connected and on-line Not all wireless routers are equal.  I suspect that most of this problem arises from older (pre-2006 HA!) routers.  I have a D-Link DL-624 that I setup in 2003 and have not touched since.  Had to search my files for the damn password.

I first changed from WEP to WPA...no change

I next upgraded the router firmware...no change (but I did have to completely reconfigure and reconnect to the WAN)

Lastly I increased the throughput transmission speed (for my crappy old router I upped to super G non-turbo)  and the NC and network now works great.

So I suggest if your having problems make sure your router firmware is up-to-date and your speed settings are at or above 54 Mbit/s.

If all else fails get a new router...not what we bargained for but I feel lucky to still be using my 8 year old router.

New User
hamop
0 Kudos

I'm having a connect problem that's a little different than what's been discussed here.  I admit tha mine isn't nearly as bad as some of the discussed issues, but would appreciate knowing if anyone has experienced it, or has some suggestions on a fix.

I have a Dlink DIR-825 router, providing 3 wireless N signals - a 5.8 GHZ, a 2.4 GHZ, and a 2.4 GHZ hotspot for guests.

Since I got the NC, it has always been able to connect to either 2.4 GHZ wireless N signal at a reported speed of 100 MBPS, with no problems.  Since the 1.2 software update, It still connects fine, but only at a reported speed of 54 MBPS.  Nothing else has changed with my network, and I have 2 laptops that both connect at wireless N, with speed at least 130 MBPS.

Is it possible that the NC has lost the ability to use wireless N after the upgrade?  Any suggestions to get the connect speed back up.  One of the reasons I bought the NC was its ability to use wireless N.

I've tried tech support 2 times and they are of no help.  Just tried again, and the rep said she was transferring me to the "Classic" team for more advanced help.  When she did so, the line went dead.

roustabout
0 Kudos

I don't have any wireless N gear in the house, so I can't test. 

Well, ok, I have one, but I tore it apart (early generation cisco/linksys draft n, the ethernet chip kept overheating and crashing) and I don't think I have power for it.  OK, found it. 

Wow, even found power. 

I'll set this up and see if I can replicate the no N you're seeing.  This is a linksys wrvs 4400N that I found unstable when I tried it last, but since this is test, not production, no worries.

Are you able to force that router into N mode or G mode?  One fo the routers I looked into this week let you force G-only and N-only.  That's what I'll try with the router here. But I suspect what we really have is kind-of standard implementations by the router makers and a kind-of standard implementation in the Nook client. 

Together, these are resulting in a kind-of working wireless experience that's forcing far too many people to replace hardware. 

By the way, the current kernel supports firewalling.

This is really, really, really cool.  Rooted users can install Droidwall, etc, and control which apps have network access and which do not. 

I just tested with Youtube, and the firewalling is working. 

New User
hamop
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response.  I haven't done anything other that the obvious stuff like resetting the router, rebooting the NC, "forgetting" and re-establishing the NC wreless settings, etc.  This is my only router, and it services several computers and a home theater system in the house, so I've been a little reluctant to mess with too much unless there would be a fairly  high-probability fix.

I did, however, try the NC in another location with another wireless N router - with the same result. 

I sure appreciate your looking into this, and if you do find something promising, I'll definitely try it out.

roustabout
0 Kudos

OK, I agree that the new client has issues with Wireless N. 

I just set up the linksys (and then took it apart, and reseated the GPU heatsink I'd stuffed

on it before setting it aside years ago - this guy has real heat dissipation problems!)

On N only, the nook didn't connect until I set the AP to fully automatic N bandwidth settings.  SSID is broadcast, encryption is off.  The nook can see and tries to connect on N, but is unable to get an IP address if I set the rate to 114-87 mbps, 20 Mhz.  (This is kind of an oddball draft-N device.) There are no router log entries when the nook fails. 

I don't have a great way of seeing how fast the wifi connection is.  Unfortunately, the speed test tools I can see in the market are testing my internet connection, not my LAN connection. 

That said, I have an 80M file that I can use as a test, and a stopwatch. Wow.  2:42 for 80M, that's 162 seconds, and 8 bits per byte so throughput here is  (80 megabyte/162 seconds) x (8 bits/byte) = 4 megabit/second. 

AKA a bit lower than this device is rated at.  Whoops.  I suppose if I tried starting lower, like around 24 Mbps, the Nook *might* be able to connect, and if the N needs to be at 40 rather than 20 I can try that as well.

It's really not a big deal for me, though, since I'm not seeing the whole network degrading when i use the nook on my regular G access point, and I'd rather not offer the neighbors too much more free internet just now. 

New User
TalynVA
0 Kudos

I have found a solution that works(no thanks to BN). the solution can be found in a post by axios entitled" Solution to WIFI issue" I found it yesterday, did it last night, took like 5 minutes and now both my wifi system and my darling Nook are working just fine!

axios posted this past Monday, I kept waiting for BN to fix the problem(still waiting, lol) and decided to search the forums(thank heaven) my baby is working  again and my wifi is excellent! This works-- I promise ! I then downloaded any of my books that were missing when I had to reset my nook(not difficult at all!).

axios wrote: Solution to WIFI issue

I dowloaded the update and had the same issues as some of the other people --- my nook color kept scanning but wouldn't connect to my wifi. I knew my wifi was working correctly, because multiple devices were using it without issue.

This worked...

1 - power off the nook color (all the way off)

2 - don't worry about de-registering, you can't connect to the internet anyway

3 - wait 20 seconds to make sure NC is off

4 - hold down the home button (N key) then press and hold the power button. Press both almost at the same time and hold them down until it asks you to reset settings back to factory settings.

5 - follow the instructions.

6 - once complete, follow the easy instructions and re-register to your account (I had no issues with this)

7 - the nook color is still at version 1.2 (newest upgrade) but the wireless works without issue!!  :-)

Good luck.

Reader
artistann
0 Kudos

I had the same problem with the nc kicking all our other pcs and laptop off the internet connection, after the new update. Went round and round trying various solutions and nothing worked. Called BN support and they said I needed to add the WiFi Mac address of the NC to our router. When I logged into the router there was no obvious way to do this. Called our ISP, AT&T, and they said our older Westell router wouldn't support that and they sent us a new router. With the new router installed everything works just fine now.I hope this helps.

Frequent Contributor
AmyMacEvilly
0 Kudos

We had our Westell using MAC addresses, and we had the NC using it at one point, but my network admin (husband) had to reset a bunch of stuff (for another reason) and it's not currently.

With our Westell Versalink 327W DSL router here's how I finally resolved the problem:

I had to do a hard/factory reset. You might want to call tech support to walk you through the annoying process.

To do the hard reset, you have to power off the Nook, press the on and the N buttons at the same time for 15 seconds *multiple times*: I had to do it 6 times. Then turn the Nook on, follow the prompts for the factory reset, and then go through setting it up again. *I had problems getting it to connect to the WiFi again: it would cycle through obtaining an IP address and then remembering.* I had to power it off again. And this time it was off for a while since I had to go out. Came back, turned it on, went through the set up again, and finally it connected to the WiFi. It was scary there for a bit. But now, I can have the WiFi on the Nook without it interfering with the other machines on the router. And I still have 1.2 on it. I just need to reload my stuff onto it.

I am happy again.

Reader 2
Goldenmum
0 Kudos

Have the same router, 327W.  Was having the same problems after updating on Monday.  Have had WiFi shut off since then.  Decided to get brave this morning and try the hard/factory reset on the Nook, as suggested above.  It worked!  Nook is connected and not knocking everything else off.  Nook is still at 1.2 and I did not have to reset the router.