Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
GeoffWill
0 Kudos

How many of you would have been happy with a sideload only beta?

Just curious,

How many of you would have been happy to get a side-load only beta from B&N, even if it contained some bugs or an incomplete app experience?

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: How many of you would have been happy with a sideload only beta?

GeoffWill wrote:

Just curious,

How many of you would have been happy to get a side-load only beta from B&N, even if it contained some bugs or an incomplete app experience?

As someone who has participated in beta tests, I can only say "not me".  As it is way too much that we buy today is really in the beta stage-software, video games, even electronic devices.  I want the product to be as complete as possible because it will undoubtedly need tweaking once released.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Correspondent
LGman
0 Kudos

Sure, I would have.  I've downloaded and signed up for beta testing for other products.  But this would only have a small chance of not being a disaster if each person were required to register and only voice issues on a specific forum for the beta testers.  I realize they can't stop people from talking about it on other sites, but forcing testers to register does keep the random un-techie 'how do I turn this on' tester downloading, trashing their NC, and complaining all over the boards about how bad the NC is because of their ineptitude.

If BN had started this beta testing policy early, before people got too antsi (me included) about the update being delayed, it may have worked.  It's too late now.

All I can do now is wait patiently, read these boards, and laugh at some of the silly postings.
For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
Inspired Contributor
Gottaluvit
0 Kudos

I rather not . I have to agree with what deemure posted . It just would not be worth the time and frustration .

LGman
0 Kudos

Gottaluvit wrote:

I rather not . I have to agree with what deemure posted . It just would not be worth the time and frustration .

I certainly understand. I just tend to like the 'bleeding edge' stuff. In my career, I work on things that are 1-2 years out from production, plus I dabble in software, so I like to test, play, etc with new versions of tools and Operating Systems. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

But then, there's the retro side of me, I also have an 82 year old car...
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

82-year-old car?  Coolness.  Okay, we need pics.  Or links to pics.  Or whatever. 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Frequent Contributor
Guyon
0 Kudos

RE: How many of you would have been happy with a sideload only beta?

I am a beta tester for a new On-line computer language.  I get the few features first and do I find bugs in almost every new release.  The reason it works is the developer jumps on the bugs very quickly to fix them (days at the most), so the experience is rewarding.

I really like my nook color but with the sub par tech support and the fuzzy releases dates beta testing a NC color op-system could be a nightmare.  As kind of a tech guy I would pass.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Learning the stock NC was a chore, Add "beta" bugs and I'd bet a lot of people would need to take advantage of the "Accident" coverage. LOL

I'll also ask here, Who is going to learn the new features and answ all the questions?? :smileysurprised:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Contributor
GeoffWill
0 Kudos

LGman wrote:

Gottaluvit wrote:

I certainly understand. I just tend to like the 'bleeding edge' stuff. In my career, I work on things that are 1-2 years out from production, plus I dabble in software, so I like to test, play, etc with new versions of tools and Operating Systems. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

I used to be like that too, but then by the time I got done tinkering with OS versions and distros, I'd totally forgotten what I had wanted to do in the first place :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

GeoffWill wrote:

Just curious,

Generally, that's a bad idea.    When you "generalize" beta software to the public, it's a nightmare.    It gives a bad impression as many of the 'errors' reported by users are pilot error, not repeatable software errors...and thus wastes developer/support time running down 'non-issues'    In addition, non-technical users will report to others, how buggy this thing is.   For an example, simply look at all the issues with people trying to root their NC's and rooting a NC is a very straight forward process.

Putting out beta software to technical users, who fully understand what's required to test vs "just using it" and that know how to track down issues they see repeatable sequences so exact causes can be tracked by the developers is a much better use of their time, and to be honest, the user's time.

So while I would be willing to beta test a new release, I'm "in the business" and a technical user who has done lots of beta testing in the past.   

But for general release....bad idea.

---------
Don
LGman
0 Kudos

GeoffWill wrote:

LGman wrote:

Gottaluvit wrote:

I used to be like that too, but then by the time I got done tinkering with OS versions and distros, I'd totally forgotten what I had wanted to do in the first place :smileyhappy:

LOL  yup, been there.  I finally get something working and it's like Yeah!  I did it!  But then sit back and realize that wasn't my original goal and I still have more stuff to work on.

LGman

[ Edited ]

riffrafff wrote:

82-year-old car?  Coolness.  Okay, we need pics.  Or links to pics.  Or whatever. 

Sorry for the delay, I've been trying to figure out how to host a picture.  Went back through a few threads hoping to find the secret, so here goes, hope this works.

It's a 1929 Model A Roadster.  it's been in the family since the early 60's.  I used to sit in it as a kid pretending to drive it and 40+ years later, my wish came true.

1929 Model A Roadster

Fixed it!

LGman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

LGman wrote:

riffrafff wrote:

Sorry for the delay, I've been trying to figure out how to host a picture.  Went back through a few threads hoping to find the secret, so here goes, hope this works.

It's a 1929 Model A Roadster.  it's been in the family since the early 60's.  I used to sit in it as a kid pretending to drive it and 40+ years later, my wish came true.

1929 Model A Roadster

[Edit  Found the right secret sauce to get the picture to post.

As Lilly Tomlin would say "Never Mind"]

well, clearly it didn't work.  Any recomendataions?  I was using teh picasa web site and inserted a direct link.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread.  I'll have to try this again sometime.

Inspired Correspondent
FredOak3
0 Kudos

As my wife says "You void warrenties"

Beta, Alpha, whatever...as long as I can get it back to stock I'll try anything and play with it.

Frequent Contributor
Nokomarie
0 Kudos

LGman wrote:

But then, there's the retro side of me, I also have an 82 year old car...

I have a 74 year old car.. I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours   :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
Nokomarie

LGman wrote:

riffrafff wrote:

1929 Model A Roadster

Fixed it!

Photobucket

1937 Plymouth Pick up. One of not too many built. 331 Hemi

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka
0 Kudos

Not me.

I'm probably in the majority in that I'm not a techie.  I just want to read and browse the web (with Flash).

I like that I can have BN screen out the bugs and offer only tried-and-tested apps from the Android Wild West.

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

I rooted my NC so I already feel like a Beta Tester. I don't mind it because I knew what I was getting into. But in general, I don't like to Beta test stuff. Although I did with Firefox 4.

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

Because that Beta IE9 is working so well? I'd only load a beta on something I could back off.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Niiiice cars, you two! 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.