Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
NikiTheT
0 Kudos

How to Manually Set Time--Wrong Time Impacting Lack of Auto Update?

I was out of the US when the update was released and just returned yesterday.  After reading this board (on my computer) of the many problems many had after the update download, I kept the Nook's Wi-Fi turned off.   However, I'm now ready for B&N to auto download it now and have had the Nook's Wi-Fi on, battery charged all night and no update.  I realize they are very busy getting the update out to thousands and it will probably take them more than a day to realize my Nook us back home and I'm not too anxious to get it.  BUT, if having the wrong time zone on the Nook will keep it from updating, I'd like to address that problem on this end.

I wonder if the problem is that the time that shows on the Nook is still on Europe time (9 hrs. ahead of California time where my Nook lives).  I've tried everything I know to do a manual reset the the time but nothing works.  I've looked at all the settings (Nook and Web settings), Goggled my question online so I wouldn't bother you posters that may be having much greater problems, but even all this didn't give me the info on how to set correct time on Nook.  And of course I powered off the Nook (pressed button on top left side of the device, held it until the screen shows "Do you want to turn your device completely off?", I press "Power Off" and it does).  I turned the Nook back on and I STILL have the wrong time.

I wonder if this wrong time is the reason why I haven't received the auto update from B&N?  REALLY not tech savvy and after reading directions on how to manually download the update I've decided to wait until it is automatically pushed to me.

Anyone have any ideas re resetting time and guesses how long it will take B&N to auto update me?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

Re: How to Manually Set Time--Wrong Time Impacting Lack of Auto Update?

I had my wifi on periodically last week for several days/nights and never got the update (Eastern Standard Time).  After reading all the problems on this board, I decided to turn the wifi off and keep reading my books.

Contributor
NikiTheT
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply and I do still enjoy my Nook for what I bought it for--being the best e-reader out there.  And, I'm sorry you're having problems in getting the auto update from B&N too.

That being said, anyone else out there that can tell me how to manually reset the time on my Nook?  I know you techies would have the answer in a snap.  And oh yes, eventually when I work up nerve, I'll give a try to rooting using "Huskermania's" instructions.  But for now, would like to see what B&N's update offers.

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Like your computer and digital camera, you will need to manually adjust your time zone. Go to the settings for your Nook Color and click on "Time" and then "Select time zone". You will now need to click the "See all world time zones" and you can scroll to the appropriate time zone by city. Note that the difference for the time zone will be in hours form the UTC Meridian, Greenwich England. Note this city of time is not listed. See page 74 of the Nook Color User Guide.

You should see that your cell phone automatically picks up the local time even though it syncs to the same time standard, but the local service adjust time at their cell tower or within the service area.

You can download and install the update from and as detailed at BN.com.

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

I doubt if the time is impacting the OTA update.  I haven't gotten it yet either.  I've had my wifi on off and on over the last week.  I did talk on a live chat about not wanting it but they told me it will be automatic over the next couple of weeks when the wifi is on and idle. 

Contributor
NikiTheT
0 Kudos

Thanks a heap, Kgaiseil.  I thought I had gone thru all the Nook settings but...  And I did a "search" in the Nook User Guide, using several search terms and each time came up empty.  But again, thanks for your help re time zone setting.

I did read the instructions on the Support site of B&N re how to do a manual download of the update but once I got beyond the download to computer part, I was lost.  Couldn't "save" the download to the screen.  SO, I'm off to B&N to ask them help me download the update.  Hope I'm not sorry.

Hope you're having fun with your updated--or even better--rooted Nook!