Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

How to Watch Netflix on Your Rooted nookCOLOR

Nice article on how to watch Netflix on our Nookcolor

---------------------

article on androidguys.com

As many of you already know the Netflix app was released for Android not long ago.  At the time of release the app only supported a handful of devices.  Supported devices so far are 4 HTC handsets and the Samsung Nexus S.

I personally didn't feel like waiting for a "supported" version of the app to hit he market, so I did a little research.  If you change a couple lines of code in the build.prop file located in the /system directory of your "unsupported" device, you can trick the app into thinking its really a different device.  More importantly you trick it to think its one of the supported devices.

Read the whole article here

Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning

Re: How to Watch Netflix on Your Rooted nookCOLOR

I just did the build.prop change (Root Explorer) using Nexus S and samsung respectively on the "ro.product.model=" and "ro.product.manufacturer=" lines.

Make sure you don't use the "ro.product.brand=" by mistake!

Netflix works like a charm and I am not seeing any problematic by-products.

The NC is turning out to be an amazing piece of hardware!

I am running Cyanogenmod 7.0.3 (stable) on an 8 meg Class 6 Transcend sd card and can dual boot to BN 1.2 on the internal memory. Now if someone could only figure out how I could do "in-store reading" with that configuration...!

Waiting for an autonooter for 1.2.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing, I'm not rooted yet, but am buying a SD card this weekend so I can.

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

I think I need to look into this whole rooting thing too.  I like what I hear and the recent update, while nice, is still a lot lacking from what the NOOK is really capable of. 

I don't want to be a GIMP no mo'.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif

My son has a Ipad2,  many will disagree, but the NC holds up very well against the Ipad2, except the Ipad 2 has the Netflix App.  That made me jealous.  Most of the other shortcomings of the NC compared to the IPad 2 will either be fixed or are not really a issue.  For example, speed/smoothness,  yes the Ipad 2 is faster and smoother, but not by a big margin so I can live with that or root and overclock.  Video quality pre 1.2 the NC had equal or better video quality, post 1.2 now there are several video issues, and hopefully they will be fixed in the forthcoming patch.

Apps is where the real difference is, without apps the NC is just an ereader and browser.  The IPad2 is amazing because of all the apps. 

B&N more apps please,  otherwise you are forcing us to root.  I want NETFLIX!

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

dammit, that's another laurel.  What will happen to my reputation?

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

If you have waited this long, I suggest you hang on until an "autonooter" for 1.2 appears which may bring the best of all possible worlds.

I am very interested to see how an autonottered 1.2 will compare with my Cyan 7.0.3 now on an sd card.

Would be nice to not to have to dualboot!

Distinguished Correspondent
JohnF76
0 Kudos

Dual booting is easy once you use the u-boot.bin replacement that's on XDA. Just press the "n" key to go to stock 1.2, or leave it alone to go to CM7. I do admit, if the CM7 guys could get encryption, I'd flash stock...they are very close to fixing the "deep sleep" issue that was making the battery discharge continuously. 

Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

I am set up for that type of dual boot. What I would like to see come out of autonootered 1.2 would be going back to a usable sd card for storage.

My one primary reason for not putting Cyan. 7.0.3 on internal memory and being done with the whole issue is that I do not want to lose my "in-store" reading capability that I use frequently.

Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

Spoke to soon...

Netflix connects with full access to to my home page and my que.

Once I select a film, it will load, start, and then run for one to two minutes. It then stops and I get a Netflix message stating that the server cannot be connected.

Get the same problem even when I reboot and start over.

Using the "samsung" codings in the build.prop.

Brought up the same films via the wireles connection to my LG BD player and there is no problem nor is there any other connection problem with the NC. That should eliminate the router as the issue.

Any ideas???

Frequent Contributor
snugelkin
0 Kudos

I will have to wait for the non teckie english notes! Lol
~}i{~ I am just a Raggety Ann Doll in a Barbie Doll world! ~}i{~