Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
cokids
0 Kudos

How to move content from Nook to SD card?

I am a Nook owner for awhle now and my Nook has only 514MB available, but I DO have an SD  card. How do I move content from Nook to SD to clear up space?

Beth

Frequent Contributor
webyrd
0 Kudos

Re: How to move content from Nook to SD card?

Connect to PC with USB cord, use explorer or similar to cut files from internal and paste to SD.
Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

webyrd wrote:
Connect to PC with USB cord, use explorer or similar to cut files from internal and paste to SD.

good simple answer - EXCEPT that the Nook internal contents are hidden, and not seen from external sources,  so anything you have purchased or downloaded from BN is actually hidden from view.

Might try it with your own Nook Color -and see if you can find your own books, mags, newspapers, or apps.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

ps56k wrote:

webyrd wrote:

good simple answer - EXCEPT that the Nook internal contents are hidden, and not seen from external sources,  so anything you have purchased or downloaded from BN is actually hidden from view.

Might try it with your own Nook Color -and see if you can find your own books, mags, newspapers, or apps.

This depends on how new your NC is.  I have access to all of my content.

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

wonder if there is any way to tell when the internal partitioning changed with respect to: Nook Color - firmware version, Model number, Serial number
Nallia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

To the OP:

NOOK for PC/Mac can be used to download most content to your computer (periodicals that are only available for the NC and NOOk Kids Read to Me ebooks can't be downloaded to your computer from B&N).  You can download just the content you want to move or everything that is allowed.

You can just download them to your computer directly from your Digital Library on the B&N website, but you will end up with file names that will only be the ISBN numbers of the books.  If you download them through the NOOK for PC app you will get filenames that consist of the partial book title along with the ISBN number, making it easier to figure out which books are which.

Once you download the ebooks through the NOOk for PC app, they can be found in Documents/My Barnes & Noble eBooks/your email address.  After you have done this:

1. Connect your NC to your computer's USB port.
  2. Open the Documents folder that contains your B&N ebooks on your computer.
  3. Open a new Windows Explorer window and navigate to Computer/your NC's SD card.
  4. Drag the books you want to put on your SD card from Documents/My Barnes & Noble eBooks/your email address on your computer to your SD card.  Create any folders you want for them if you like.
  5. From the SD card window, go up to Computer.
  6. Right click on your SD card and Eject it.
  7. Right click on your NC and eject it.
  8. Go into your B&N library (either on your NC, your NOOK for PC app, or through the website on your computer) and archive every ebook you copied--this will prevent you from having two copies on your NC and will free up space.

Nallia
0 Kudos

ps56k wrote:

Nallia wrote:

wonder if there is any way to tell when the internal partitioning changed with respect to: Nook Color - firmware version, Model number, Serial number

It was changed a month or so after the release of the 1.2 update (late May or early June, I can't remember the exact date but I'll look for the thread announcing it).  Until B&N ran out of inventory with the old partition, they were designated by a green or blue dot on the boxes.  Now they are all sold with the new partition.  I don't know if there was a noticeable change in the serial numbers, but I believe the model numbers are the same.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

To the OP:

3. Open a new Internet Explorer window and navigate to Computer/your NC's SD card.

Nallia,

in #3, did you mean Windows Explorer?

Jeremy

Nallia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JinSC wrote:

Nallia wrote:

To the OP:

3. Open a new Internet Explorer window and navigate to Computer/your NC's SD card.

Nallia,

in #3, did you mean Windows Explorer?

Jeremy

LOL  Yes.  I was editing it right when you posted this.  I was hoping I could fix it before anyone noticed the slip.  :smileyvery-happy:

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

that's ok....we're all friends here!  :smileyhappy:

Jeremy

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

ps:  don't know of a way to see via serial # or software release version.

Easiest way to see is to look at device info and see how much total internal storage your device says you have.  If it says 1G, you have the new formatting (which you probably want if you have a lot of kid-centric material loaded.) 

The old formatting will show you 5G, which has its own advantages. 

If you want to convert between the two, Dean G has written some CWR scripts for addressing the conversion. 

There's a walkthrough for the conversion here: 

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/oh-this-is-annoying-i-only-have-1g-of.html

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.