How to put movies on NookColor

[ Edited ]

Coverting DVD's to use on NookColor

1. Download DVDfab HD from this Link,

http://www.dvdfab.com/hd-decrypter.htm

2. Download WinX free DVD riper from this Link,

http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper/

3. Now use dvdfab to copy the dvd you want to put on ur NC

a. use the DVD Copy option and pick full Disc.

b. Source will be the disc you want to copy, and target will be where you want the file to go to. Click start and it will rip the movie to ur pc.

4. Now that you have the movie on your harddrive you need to put it into a format that your NC will recognize. This is where WinX free DVD ripper comes in handy.

a. Open Win X, at the top of the screen you will see at the top of the window it will have the tabs DVD Disc, DVD Path, Clear and so on.

Select DVD Path and pick the file that you want. Then at the bottom there 7 other tabs. You need to select, to MP4. and the rest of the options you will need to set up like the picture below.

After you get it all setup, hit the start button and it will convert it.

I have used this method to put all every movie on the NC. I even used it to put Avatar on it and it looks and sound awesome.

Inspired Contributor
sahm8108

Re: How to put movies on NookColor

I purchased DVD Catalyst4 for $10. It was the best purchase ever. You can burn dvd's and convert all at once. You can convert them to fit on many different devices. You get help if you need it too. Once it's converted you just copy it over to the nook via the usb cable.  You put it into the movies folder on the nook or on the sd card.

Contributor
BeachCire
0 Kudos

I use Catalyst 4 and could not be happier. It formats the movie to fit perfectly on the Nook Color and it gets rid of the black edges too.
Inspired Correspondent
Lineola
0 Kudos

Will these movies play on just the stock Nook Color?

Thank you,

Lineola

Correspondent
Prewittboy
0 Kudos

Yep they play on the good ole stock NC with 1.1 and 1.2 update. No need to root.

Frequent Contributor
justsayyes
0 Kudos

Do any of you get moire effects on dark areas in dark movie scenes?  This would be an intermittent effect.  I use Handbrake (MacOS) and the movies look great...except for the occasional blotchiness in dark areas.  On my MBP the same scene renders perfectly. 

New User
ddm990
0 Kudos

My nook won't play the movie.  I'm 100% sure I did exactly what the instructions said. I tried it i with the movie Avatar.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Anyone wanting to put movies on the NC should really consider DVD catalyst 4, just as others have said. It's only $10 and the support is without equal for any software I have ever bought. It is basically a one button press to convert, but has options if needed. It will convert from DVD, youtube download, home movie captures, and so on and on. It has a NOOKcolor setting as weel as settings for most popular devices out there. By far one of the best value for the buck things going.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

I agree with deemure that dvdcatalyst is awesome and the developer provides triple AAA plus plus support on these boards...the recent Movie Gallery app he created is also worth the couple bucks to display your movies visually and play them with extra control as compared to the stock player...best $12 I could have spent for both the conversion program and app.
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Correspondent
mogulman
0 Kudos

I have used several converters and DVD Catalyst has a few features I like:

1.  Automatic volume adjust.  With other converters you need to remember to adjust to 200-250%.

2.  Video streaming support.  When enabled it makes the video streaming compatible.  I always watch movies from my home webserver rather than downloading to NC.  Open the page on my home webserver and view movie directory, click movie and 4-5 seconds later you are watching a movie.

DVD Catalyst has problems with some DRM so I also use DVDFab to rip to iso.  I use DVD Catalyst to go from iso to mp4. 

Correspondent
dandelion_cottage
0 Kudos

What do you use if you have a Mac?

Frequent Contributor
NookAtMe
0 Kudos

dandelion_cottage wrote:

What do you use if you have a Mac?

I'm pretty new to all this but I have successfully used HandBrake and it can be used on Macs.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/MacGuiGuide

If you do a search you'll find many posts.

Contributor
cpollan27
0 Kudos

I checked this out and, if I am understanding this process, it involves stripping copyrighted DVDs of their security, reformatting, and downloading them onto the Nook Color. If that is the case, it is the same as pirating and is illegal. As a Criminal Justice major, I am not willing to commit a felony. I'm too pretty to survive prison. lol

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

Two things:

1. If you do the CM 7.1 upgrade, ,avi movies will play perfectly, and they are generally smaller and easier to do.

2. If you OWN the DVD, making a copy for your portable device is fair use. You can do the same process for content recorded off TV, either with a DVD-R or a TV card in your computer.

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

This is where licensing a purchase rather than outright purchase fair use get ugly, or just plain stupid.  "you own the disc, or medium the media is recorded on, the contents are licensed to you in this  format, blah, blah"..... and the DMCA details.  The worst of the 80's, lawyers learned how to  really make money..... by invading every minute detail of everyday life.  As rediculous as copyrighting "Happy Birthday"

Correspondent
Prewittboy
0 Kudos

Its not pirating if you own the Media... you are allowed to make a back-up of media that you own, and are permitted to put it on mobile devices that are owned by you. If you look into itunes, you can download any media and make up to 5 copies,I believe, of any purchase. Is that pirating too? Better study some more on media laws and copyright infringement.

Inspired Contributor
TaustinOC
0 Kudos

How illegal it is in the US has yet to be determined. There is a conflict in the DMCA. One section prohibits tools for removing encryption, another explicitly allows doing so for purposes of cross compatiblity. The conflict can only be resolved by Congress changing the law or the courts interpreting it, neither of which has happened yet. The Library of Congress has some say in it, and is currently reviewing their stance:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-09-29/html/2011-25106.htm

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

TaustinOC wrote:

How illegal it is in the US has yet to be determined. There is a conflict in the DMCA. One section prohibits tools for removing encryption, another explicitly allows doing so for purposes of cross compatiblity. The conflict can only be resolved by Congress changing the law or the courts interpreting it, neither of which has happened yet. The Library of Congress has some say in it, and is currently reviewing their stance:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-09-29/html/2011-25106.htm

That is all well and good, but:

Once you pull the trigger you can't get the bullet back. The genie is already out of the bottle. The tools exist, and will always exist.

Congress and the Courts will eventually realize the realities of the digital age.

Anything man can encrypt man can unencrypt.

A few years ago someone had created an "unbreakable code", and a prize was offered for anyone who could break it. As I recall, a group of students from Carnagie-Mellon broke it in 10 hours. So much for unbreakable.

Many DVD's now come with "digital copies". If you can't beat'em might as well join 'em.

New User
n2mtnbike
0 Kudos

I downloaded the listed software and even foot the 35 bucks to upgrade the WinX DVD Platinum.  When I tried to convert newer movies like "2012" and "G.I. Joe" I couldn't get WinX to recognize the DVD.  I then tried "older" movies and those converted no problem....except my NookColor is comming up with a window saying the video cannot be played.

This really shouldn't be this difficult!!  I have gone into my local B&N and watched "Avitar" playing on a NookColor, so I know it can be done, but having all of these problems is just not worth it!!  Maybe I will reconsider an iPad unless someone can give me a simple solution to fixing this issue!

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

Hate to say it, but, I would NOT have wasted my time or money on converting unless I knew it would work.  If the shareware versions cant render, then why pay for the full ones?  DVD Catalyst is a whole lot cheaper, supported, and just plain works.  There is also Handbrake, and other software out there.  If you really want an Ipad, go ahead, and buy a Macbook Pro to go with it, dont forget the iphone too.  These devices have nothing to do with the third party software you tried to use.

Converting DVD's to Nook readable files isnt rocket science, its video science.  There are certain encoding details that have to be just right or, its a waste of time.  If the disc was not recognized by the software, it would be likely that ... a. disc is damaged, b.encryption is preventing the disc from being recognized,   C. software isnt working, and not worth what you paid. 

I'd recommend downloading some trials of other software to get your DVD's on the nook, and search the forums if you have trouble with settings, there are some excellent posts that may help you out.  You could also try contacting the developer of what you downloaded and see if they can/will help you out.