Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
tonyh61
0 Kudos

How to root the nook color without sd card?

i want to root my nc but my parents wont let me get an sd card

Nook Color honeycomb 3.0/ stock 1.4.1
Wordsmith
JinSC

Re: How to root the nook color without sd card?

You might want to explain to them that "rooting" with a uSD card (which is technically not rooting) doesn't harm the NC.  Actual rooting the NC changes its operating system and does void the warranty.  The uSD route is definitely the way to go if you have any concerns about altering the NC or voiding the warranty.

Somehere in all of these threads, Deangibson, roustabout, MarkOB_1, or Nallia, has a great explanation of the various kinds of rooting.  Perhaps the original author could find that thread and TAG it to their signature so it would be easy for newcomers to find.  Then you could have your parents read that.

Be patient.  Someone wiser than I will be along shortly to offer better advice.

Jeremy

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

you need a microsd card, not an sd card.  Many cell phones come with one already in them.  The phone guy at my office often has spare 256M cards, perfect size for rooting with.  You only need the card briefly.  Maybe you or one of your friends has a phone or a blackberry that came with one? 

I don't know of a way to use the available tools without one.  The earliest roots on the NC were achieved by using the memory that is internal to the NC and writing files to it. 

That would involve a lot of careful work with a Torx T5 and maybe a soldering iron. All the guides these days assume you have a card - you'd need to dig back into the November-December XDA posts to see how they did it, then understand which files are in the current root packs and where they go on the NC in the current OS.  So, it's theoretically possible, but you'd much more likely wind up just having to erase and deregister after giving up and buttoning your NC back together, assuming you could do so. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
JinSC

tonyh61 wrote:

i want to root my nc but my parents wont let me get an sd card

Tony,

it might help us help you if you told us:

a) why you want to root?

b) why your parents object?

if they are worried about damaging the NC or the complications of rooting, show them this thread:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Turn-your-NC-into-an-Android-ta...

good luck!

Jeremy

Frequent Contributor
tonyh61
0 Kudos

if i take out the sd card will the nc go back to the way it was before

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Yes.  and it is a micro SD card. 

Jeremy

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

@tony:  the NC will not go back if you root the NC. 

It will go back if you buy a microSD card (8 G or larger recommended) and install an alternate OS on it (CM7 or Phiremod) configured to boot from the microSD card.  Do not mistakenly use one of the CM7 builds that installs on your internal memory, though if you did so, you could easily restore to stock. 

If you do run from the alternate ROM on the MicroSD card, you won't change the NC's innards.  Pop the card out, and the NC will behave as it did before. 

Running from an alternate OS you also won't have access to the onboard library and shop - but the Nook app for Android can be installed, so you will have access to your books. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
az_spunky
0 Kudos

There are 2 possible ways to "root" your nook color:

1) hack the nook color itself by "nooter"ing it

2) copy a CyanogenMod 7 image (or an image based on CM7) .img file onto a microSD card, and have the nook color boot up from the SD card.

Both #1 and #2 require a microSD card. 

#2 is safer - it doesn't change the nook color at all, just let's you boot from the card.

Frequent Contributor
tonyh61
0 Kudos

thanks