Contributor
jaylady
0 Kudos

How to tell if a book can be loaned BEFORE I buy it

I understand that some books can be loaned, while others cannot. After reading some of the FAQ's, I am confused. The FAQs say that when you are browsing Nookbooks on the B&N web site, if a book can be loaned (via the LendMe app), it will have a 'badge' or 'icon' over the top of the book cover. I've wandered through many categories of books and have yet to see this alleged 'badge' on any books.  Am I misunderstanding this? Can anyone give me some guidance here? I want to buy books that are lendable so that my mom, half the country away, can borrow them and read them too.

Thanks for any help.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

Re: How to tell if a book can be loaned BEFORE I buy it

You should see this on the book's page:

Also on the main Nookbook page, look in the left hand column.

There is selection "LendMe Nookbooks".

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

@jaylady, you're not missing anything.  That's exactly how it's supposed to work.  Right around the first of the year, Amazon announced that Kindle had entered the Lend Me program.  Coincidentally, around the first of the year, the publishers began pulling their books out of the Lend Me program.

This thread discusses it more fully:  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKbook-Discussion/LendMe-torpedoed-by-Kindle/m-p/789086/hig...

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

This whole lendig thing is BS. I could almost understand if I was paying a lot less for an E copy, I'm not. When I buy a DTB its mine to do as I please. I can loan it to whomever I choose. I understand that they wwant to have some control since an E copy could be sent via the net to more thann 1 person. To block it completly is just greed and panic on the publishers part. I am hoping that some type of lending feature will be setup acroos the board for all ebooks. Not the current/limited version that we have now. I would think 1 person at a time annd say, 4? Times would be fair. I hope someone out there is working out the code for this to happen. Its going to take some bitchin n moaning on the consumers end to get it rolling. Guess its time to draft a letter and send some e mails. As always, JMHO. :smileyhappy:
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:
When I buy a DTB its mine to do as I please. I can loan it to whomever I choose.  

If they could stop you from doing that, they would.  They can't, so you can.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

phoneboy wrote:
When I buy a DTB its mine to do as I please. I can loan it to whomever I choose.  

If they could stop you from doing that, they would.  They can't, so you can.

Likewise, they would love to excercise their copyright control over libraries and abolish those, too.  I suspect they don't have quite enough politicians in their pockets to do that.    Yet.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

riffrafff wrote:

Likewise, they would love to excercise their copyright control over libraries and abolish those, too.  I suspect they don't have quite enough politicians in their pockets to do that.    Yet.

Having grown up in the land of Andrew Carnegie (who was a bastard!) and the legacy of his libraries (one of the best good things he did!) the very thought makes me physically ill.

Some of the endowed libraries are in the poorest, most crime-ridden neighborhoods in Pittsburgh (and the metro area).  Some of the buildings are in disrepair, but they still provide an invaluable service to communities who need them.  Yes, the children of the affluent suburbs need and benefit from libraries, I'm not saying they don't, but I read a statistic that shocked me this week.  Something like 60% of children living under the poverty level have no books of their own.  Those are the very neighborhoods that need the libraries, their programs and most importantly the books.

Contributor
jaylady
0 Kudos

Thank you all so much!

I finally found a book that I could lend. I hadn't noticed the "LendMe" category, so that tip is extremely helpful. 

It's disappointing that publishers are pulling back on the 'lendme' feature - I'll take a look at that message thread.

Thanks again, and happy reading!