Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

DRV
Wordsmith
DRV
0 Kudos

Re: I Believe In An Update Coming Soon

Serolf_Divad wrote:
The app store has been promised for Q1 2011. They could simply be going by that. I wouldn't put much stock in what a store employee has to say. All I know is that come April 1, if there's no App store (or at leasy an official date for one) I'll be rooting my Nook.

Sounds like the same thing to me.  What the OP relayed from his/her conversation at the B&N store, there is nothing new in those statements.  B&N has said officially for some time now that there would be an update in Q1 2011 that would include flash and an app store.  So you can get excited, I guess, because the probabls date for the update is approaching but not because this is a new development.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff

normysmom wrote:

I am a "glass is half-full" type.

So, I am clapping like mad because I believe in updates!

I am also clicking my heels three times and repeating, "there's no place like Barnes and Noble."

And, even though I can't see that first star each night because of the rain clouds, I am wishing upon that darn star!

You know what they say:

A pessimist says the glass is half empty.

An optimist says the glass is half full.

An engineer says the glass is twice as large as it needs to be.

:smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

And the Irishman says, you gonna drink That? :smileyhappy:
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Frequent Contributor
Onji1908
0 Kudos

Was told something very similar when I went to my store a couple of weeks ago,  The salesman stated we were about 5 weeks out from the app store opening,  I think it is coming at the end of this month...hmmmm

Contributor
KayakerBob
0 Kudos

My experience is that in-store personnel know next to nothing about the Nook or NookColor. They have received essentially no training on the devices and as often as not give out information that is simply wrong or, at worst, can actually damage your NookColor. I have been told both in stores and through the B&N help lines that ANY USB wall or car charger will work with a NookColor and that ANY and all books sold by B&N are available on the Nook. Both of these statements are patently false.

Bottom line is that a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, and a rumor in a B&N store is worth... well, nothing.

I would love to think that B&N will come through with an update soon... But, I'll believe it when I see it, until then... I'll remain skeptical.

Distinguished Correspondent
Wild_images

It might just be that B&N employees read internet boards too, and regurgitate what they read to customers.  

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

Josienjoe wrote:

THNY wrote:

I was in a Barnes & Noble in New York City yesterday and the sales associate told me that a spftware update 2.2 would be available in about two weekd. New devices sold after that date will include thje update which feature Flash and an App Store. She didn't try to sell me the existing version but encouraged me to wait.

Somehow I don't see the stores replacing their current stock of NookColors, so even if someone were to wait a couple of weeks, they may still get one without the 2.2 update.  I believe it would more likely be that new devices "manufactured" after that date will include the 2.2.

But if you're not in a hurry, no harm waiting.  :smileyhappy:

Personally, I think encouraging someone to wait makes no sense at all.  Unless they genuinely have no real need for an e-reader.  Then, sure, keep waiting.

The reason I say this is because even if the Store opens on Apr1, not only will the Nooks sold after that not already have the Update on them, as JJ pointed out, but there are going to be a LOT of Nooks in the pipeline already.  Bottom line, it will be a LONG time (many months) before Nooks are manufactured with the latest Update already pre-installed on them.

OTOH, once it is available, you can always buy a Nook in the store, open and register it there, and have the update download before you leave.  That would be easy and comfortable for a lot of folks.  Hopefully, that's what the salesperson intended.

- Mark

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

Triggerone wrote:

All my fingers and toes are crossed.......

So that explains the funny walk, and the wincing expression.  :smileywink:

- Mark

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

Josienjoe wrote:

THNY wrote:

I was in a Barnes & Noble in New York City yesterday and the sales associate told me that a spftware update 2.2 would be available in about two weekd. New devices sold after that date will include thje update which feature Flash and an App Store. She didn't try to sell me the existing version but encouraged me to wait.

Somehow I don't see the stores replacing their current stock of NookColors, so even if someone were to wait a couple of weeks, they may still get one without the 2.2 update.  I believe it would more likely be that new devices "manufactured" after that date will include the 2.2.

But if you're not in a hurry, no harm waiting.  :smileyhappy:

Personally, I think encouraging someone to wait makes no sense at all.  Unless they genuinely have no real need for an e-reader.  Then, sure, keep waiting.

The reason I say this is because even if the Store opens on Apr1, not only will the Nooks sold after that not already have the Update on them, as JJ pointed out, but there are going to be a LOT of Nooks in the pipeline already.  Bottom line, it will be a LONG time (many months) before Nooks are manufactured with the latest Update already pre-installed on them.

OTOH, once it is available, you can always buy a Nook in the store, open and register it there, and have the update download before you leave.  That would be easy and comfortable for a lot of folks.  Hopefully, that's what the salesperson intended.

- Mark

Kinda what I meant, just not as eloquent.  :smileyhappy:  It's not as if I have some major powers of persuasion.  If someone wants a NC, they will buy it; if they are on the fence, they may wait.  Even if they wait, no guarantee that they won't get a nook with the current OS on it.

Nookycooky

And the engineer also says that the glass is in the wrong place in the dishwasher...

Nookycooky         :smileyvery-happy:

All charged up and ready to go...my Nook's are too....
Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik

. . . and the Jewish guy says, "I know a guy that can make that last for eight days!"

Nook Color Wallpapers
AikiPen

And the Mom says

...put a coaster under that glass before it leaves rings on my table.

Frequent Contributor
ratman6161
0 Kudos

I've never found the updates difficult.  My wife and I both have NookColor's (I bought one for her as a Christmas present and unknown to me, she bought me one too).  Whenever an update has come out I installed it on mine manually manually - which I find quite easy.  but I don't mess with my wife's as I don't want to get the blame if something goes wrong :smileyhappy:.  But even so I'll check her's to see if the update came in like it should.  In both cases the updates showed up on hers without her even noticing it.  When 1.1 downloaded I was looking for some specific things on hers like fixing the thing where you had to reboot it to get sound back after it had gone to sleep (which was fixed after 1.1 BTW).  But if you don't want to bother with the manual updates, if you just wait it will happen perfectly well on its own.

Then again if you are the sort of person reading this thread, you are likely to be the impatient sort (like me) who will be manually updateing the second it comes out, :smileyhappy:.

Contributor
-----JT-----
0 Kudos

One of the main uses I want out of the Nook Color is to replace many of the magazines that I currently subscribe to. The ones I have seen at BN stores look really nice. I'm looking forward to the upgrade so that it supports Flash as some of the magazines I can get are only offered through Zinio, which requires Flash. Combining the magazines available through BN and the ones from Zinio, I should be able to get most of my magazines in a very convenient package.

Hope that the update comes soon!

-----JT-----

Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

I wonder if this will have an impact on the delivery schedule for any future updates?

Microsoft Takes Legal Action Against Barnes & Noble, Foxconn and Inventec for Patent Infringement by...

Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder
0 Kudos

I doubt it, every large corporation is constantly threatened with lawsuit, or sued. They will most likely settle and move on. Thre are far too many devices already in use to stop any progress B&N may be making with the updates.

I anticipate business as usual with some Microsoft integration within the device, or just a $$ payment to MS.

Of course I could be completely wrong.......

"Keep me, Protect me, Share me, and I Will Live Forever"
From the Kodak Gallery, A powerful & Moving Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWwqAI6x9A
Contributor
elAmigo
0 Kudos

Will the Update include all of the "OLD" NC"s ?   Or will B&N make you buy a NEW NC.  What will they upgrade to????   NC OS is  now And 2.1.   Will they UG to Froyo  2.2 ???  What about Honeycomb 3.0 ????   Remember, the NC is and was just a e-reader.  Not a tablet.   If they UG to 2.2, now they will kinda have a bastard tablet e-reader.  (w/flash and "marketplace")  I hope thats the way they go then I'll have 2.2 Froyo and still keep my Honeycomb  bootable SD card .

Frequent Contributor
Kryptomatic
0 Kudos

elAmigo wrote:

Will the Update include all of the "OLD" NC"s ?   Or will B&N make you buy a NEW NC. 

Im curious about this also. As someone who has been contiplating buying a NookColor.

Is this 'update' going to be available for all NookColor owners to access for download or is this 'Update' a NookColor Ereader....meaning an newer updated model.

Wordsmith
melouria
0 Kudos

Yes, the update will include all "old" NCs.  Make sure your Wifi is on and the update will happen automatically.  It could take a couple of days though.  The last update took 3 days to load on my NC. Rumor is 2.2 is what we're getting and Flash, and an app store.  Only time will tell just what exactly the update will contain.

Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

melouria wrote:

Yes, the update will include all "old" NCs.  Make sure your Wifi is on and the update will happen automatically.  It could take a couple of days though.  The last update took 3 days to load on my NC. Rumor is 2.2 is what we're getting and Flash, and an app store.  Only time will tell just what exactly the update will contain.

Don't forget the option to manually update. It's absurdly simple. That's how I put the 1.1 update on my NC (which I bought less than a month ago, btw, to answer the question of whether mew NcC will include the ANDROID 2.2 update pre-installed).