Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

Re: I Believe In An Update Coming Soon

riffrafff wrote:

normysmom wrote:

I am a "glass is half-full" type.

So, I am clapping like mad because I believe in updates!

I am also clicking my heels three times and repeating, "there's no place like Barnes and Noble."

And, even though I can't see that first star each night because of the rain clouds, I am wishing upon that darn star!

You know what they say:

A pessimist says the glass is half empty.

An optimist says the glass is half full.

An engineer says the glass is twice as large as it needs to be.

:smileyvery-happy:

I don't care if my glass is half full or half empty... all I know is that it's time for a refill.

Overimbibers United!

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Inspired Correspondent
Angulimala
0 Kudos

Wild_images wrote:

It might just be that B&N employees read internet boards too, and regurgitate what they read to customers.  

No, everyone's just fed information from the same source: B&N press releases. :smileyhappy:

We're just in an apparent position of authority since we're standing at the NOOK counter explaining why to own one and how it works. We're asked about updates and such more often so we've got a bit more of a canned answer that we're used to giving. We know just as much as you all do. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik

Waiting for Godot is available to read on the NC, by the way . . .

:smileywink:

Nook Color Wallpapers
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

NookonErik wrote:

Waiting for Godot is available to read on the NC, by the way . . .

:smileywink:

So is the Reference Guide, by William Hutchings.  Available as a nookbook for only $105.  :smileysurprised:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Frequent Contributor
sockhermom
0 Kudos

Will a notification show on the screen that the update is available. Or, if it downloads automatically, will you be notified on the screen. If so, where? The last update I added manually because I didn't see it anywhere on my screen nor did I know where to find it....Thanks
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

sockhermom wrote:
Will a notification show on the screen that the update is available. Or, if it downloads automatically, will you be notified on the screen. If so, where? The last update I added manually because I didn't see it anywhere on my screen nor did I know where to find it....Thanks

When an update automatically downloads and installs on the NOOKcolor you get a notification after it's done.  Since installation is done while the NC is asleep, you wouldn't notice it happening unless you were staring at your NC and saw it reboot itself.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
tenagail
0 Kudos

With the 1.1 update I was notified of it when I woke it up one day and in the lower left corner a box opened to tell me the update had been installed. Tap the LL corner of your NC screen and you'll see box I am talking about. Good Luck, I can't wait for the update. :-)
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

sockhermom wrote:

SM, that's actually a really good question!  I'll bet a lot of folks are wondering about that.  Here's the scoop...

When an update becomes available, you don't have to do anything to get it.  I.e., you're not told it's available, and have to manually find it, download it, install it, etc.  Though some folks who are impatient may do so, if they like.

What will happen is that it will eventually just be loaded onto your NookColor automatically, possibly while you're sleeping, but potentially any time your NC is idle.  For this to happen, you have to have WiFi enabled.  If you always have it off, it won't come down automatically.

Once it is there, you WILL be notified, in a fairly subtle way, but unmistakable.  There will be the trademark Nook "n" in green, in the lower left corner, in the status bar area.  Tapping it will tell you that a new update has been installed.  It will also have a button you can click, if you want to see more detailed information.  Doing so will provide you with a list of the things they felt were important enough you'd want to know.

That's it!  For most people, it couldn't possibly be easier.

- Mark

Inspired Contributor
Serolf_Divad
0 Kudos

You'll know the Nook Android 2.2 Froyo update went out when you come to this forum and everyone else is talking about how aweseome their Nook Colors are now that they have the update that for some reason didn't download for you last night.

(At least that's how I expect to learn of it).

Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

Serolf_Divad wrote:

You'll know the Nook Android 2.2 Froyo update went out when you come to this forum and everyone else is talking about how aweseome their Nook Colors are now that they have the update that for some reason didn't download for you last night.

(At least that's how I expect to learn of it).

Or they maybe talking about how its missing this, that, or the other thing and will start another complaint form because we just can't make them happy. Then we will probably see the rooting chat increase. :smileywink:

I'd just be happy with flash, a better pdf reader, and the marketplace. I have played with froyo and love some of the apps that you can get though I like the NC interface for accessing menus and all better. I guess if I autonooter, I could have the best of both worlds minus the flash.

"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Wordsmith
irunlikeagirl
0 Kudos

So if your Nook Color is rooted with autonooter 3.0, when the update comes through, what happens?   Does your rooted Nook Color just ignore it?  Does it try to push through and cause problems?  Or do you just unroot your nook and install the new update?