Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

I am totally crazy but could use some help with Google Apps (CM7)

Okay - I decided to finally take the plunge and install CM7. Problem was my computer didn't have a HC SD reader, and I was too impatient to go buy one. So I thought "what have I got to lose, I will try accessing my micro SD while in my NC using the USB cable". I followed the videos and everything went great until trying to copy the gapps file. I can't seem to access my card via USB anymore.

No problem, I thought. I just downloaded the zip file directly onto my NC and rebooted in recovery. But it didn't find the file because it was in the download folder. I tried moving it to the root folder, but that didn't work either. So - now my big question is: where on the sd card does the file need to be for the reboot to find it? I can move it with the file manager - just don't know where to.

I know I am crazy to do it this way - but I am pretty sure it still should work if I can just put the file in the right place.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Distinguished Wordsmith
PeterDe
0 Kudos

Re: I am totally crazy but could use some help with Google Apps (CM7)

Did you boot up the cm7 first and log onto to your wifi before you put the gapps in? The file needs to be in the main root of the card. I had to boot several times to get the Nook to boot in recovery mode. Read this http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/nook-color-cm7.html . 

Some people can't see the forest for the trees!

4 Nook Household, 2 NOOKs, 2 NOOKcolors
Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

PeterDe wrote:

Did you boot up the cm7 first and log onto to your wifi before you put the gapps in? The file needs to be in the main root of the card. I had to boot several times to get the Nook to boot in recovery mode. Read this http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/nook-color-cm7.html . 

Yes, I booted up CM7 and set up my wifi. That's how I downloaded gapps onto the NC. I booted up to the penguin, but it can't find the gapps zip file.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

My problem seems to be that I can't find the BOOT folder in the File Manager and that is where the zip file needs to go. Any suggestions?

Distinguished Correspondent
JohnF76
0 Kudos

You really should be using a card reader (you can get one at staples or other stores fairly cheap).

The problem right now is that you would need a better file reader (one of the ones you'd download from the Android market) to pick up the boot partition after the CM7 install...but you don't have the market!

What you could try is boot into stock, then format the SD card using the nook, then image the card again. This time, put the CM7.zip and GAPPS.zip on the card at the same time, before your recovery boot. That might work, or it might not. I'd wait till tomorrow and get the reader...it makes

it a LOT easier working on the card!!!

I also would go with Verygreen's size Agnostic install over most of the others...it really makes things a lot easier and it's very reliable.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1000957

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Thanks John - I am heading out this monring to buy a fresh card and card reader.

I think with your suggestion about adding the gapps.zip file to the card at the same time as the CM7.zip, my experiment would have worked. But by then I couldn't get my computer to recognize my card even through USB (booted in stock) to reformat it and start over.

It was fun trying something different anyway and today I will know how to do things right! Thanks for the link, that is what I will try.

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

I'm not completely sure but I think I remember reading on the NookDevs site that you should not try this directly from the Nook - you need to use a card reader.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

You are right, Marie - and I knew that. But that's where the "crazy" part came in, I was going to give it a try anyway! :smileyhappy: