Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Hitman
0 Kudos

I downloaded the new update? How do I manaully install it?

The file is a .dat file and won't install? what am i missing here?

Correspondent
Ace7
0 Kudos

Re: I downloaded the new update? How do I manaully install it?

[ Edited ]

Don't unzip the file. Download it, and just SAVE it, do NOT OPEN it. Then while your NC is connected to your computer, drag the .zip file onto the NC. Do not put it into any folder that's on your NC, or create a new one... just put it in the main "folder" of your NC. Eject safely, unplug, wait.

Facebook.com/CustomizingYourNookColor
Contributor
tmaldo
0 Kudos

I made that same mistake at first. Then I realized that the .Dat file wasn't for the nook color but for the black/white nook. The nook color file is a zip file that says 1.2 while the .dat file says 1.5. I finally found the nook color update here:

http://tinyurl.com/3chjc9a

tmaldo

Inspired Contributor
avalonpriestess
0 Kudos

I cannot even download the update file. My computer keeps giving me a message that 'the file is corrupt or damaged.' :smileysad:

Donna

New User
retengr
0 Kudos

New User
Hitman
0 Kudos

I took the signed_bravo_update.dat file and dropped it under the E:\ drive on the Nook (its hooked up USB) to my laptop. Disconnected it from the Laptop and nothing happens, I tried rebooting also.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Hitman wrote:

I took the signed_bravo_update.dat file and dropped it under the E:\ drive on the Nook (its hooked up USB) to my laptop. Disconnected it from the Laptop and nothing happens, I tried rebooting also.

That sounds like the nook update, not the NOOKcolor one.  Make sure you download from the NOOKcolor support update page not the nook.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
smilingsweetpea
0 Kudos

Hello everyone.  I am new to this discussion board, well I read it everyday, it's addicting.  But I have never written anything.  I installed the zip file on my laptop.  used the usb and dragged the file to my NC.  No new files or anything like that.  I did this about 4 hours ago.  Still nothing new on my NC, still says the original version. Please Help?

And I must say I LOVE my Nook Color.  I read more now than ever!!

Inspired Correspondent
W8WCA
0 Kudos

Some ideas:

1) Take out your uSD card if you have one.

2) Copy and Paste the .zip file (Do NOT unzip it) to your NC's root dir (The directory/folder that you see when you open your Nook on your computer.

Safely remove your Nook COlor (via remove usb devices)

Take the cable off of it.

Wait

It should go ok

Let us know !

Come by and Visit ClubNook!

Cheers Charlie
Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

sweetpea:   Try to redownload the file.  Delete old file.  Plug NC into computer the file name shoudld be nookcolor_1_2_update.zip.  Drag or Copy that file to your NC root.  No folder or anything.  Make sure your putting it on the NC and not your SD card.  Eject both the NC and SD card if you have one.  Once you unplug from computer let go to sleep or put to sleep and then in a few minutes it should start it thing.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

W8WCA wrote:

Some ideas:

1) Take out your uSD card if you have one.

2) Copy and Paste the .zip file (Do NOT unzip it) to your NC's root dir (The directory/folder that you see when you open your Nook on your computer.

Safely remove your Nook COlor (via remove usb devices)

Take the cable off of it.

Wait

It should go ok

Let us know !

One word of caution here.  Make sure to eject both the SD card if installed and the NC from your computer before hitting safely remove hardware.  You go to my computer or computer and right click on the drives and select eject.  This is to avoid corrupt software.

Just for info purposes, the first NC I updated had an SD card installed.  I dragged and dropped the file.  No problem, updated after I disconnected from PC.

The second one had no card installed.  I did the exact same thing, several times.  I also copied and pasted the same file, waited an hour after it went to sleep and nothing so I rebooted it. Re-downloaded the file, tried again.  Each time I verified the size of the file and never got any warning about a bad file.  I finally connected the second one to my PC and downloaded the file directly to it and it worked.  Not saying that's the best way, but it worked.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
smilingsweetpea
0 Kudos

Thank you for your help.  I redid the entire process and walah.....Apps!  Talk to you all later, I am going to play on my Nook Color.

This Discussion Board is addicting.  You all are great!