Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

I have a bootable froyo sd card, now what?

Okay, I finally downloaded a bootable froyo and installed it on my 4GB SDHC card. I tried a 2GB card that I had originally and the Win32 installer told me that I did not have enough space to install the file. I bought a 4GB SDHC card and still got the message. I ended up having to download the Win32 R15 version instead of the latest version and I was able to make the card.

I booted up with the froyo and it looks nice. I got wireless working on it and I have live wallpaper but what do I do next? How do I access the marketplace. I am confused on where to go next? I using Froyo 0.6.8. I am not quite ready to go full rooting yet but like what I am seeing so far.

"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: I have a bootable froyo sd card, now what?

DrWho453 wrote:

Okay, I finally downloaded a bootable froyo and installed it on my 4GB SDHC card. I tried a 2GB card that I had originally and the Win32 installer told me that I did not have enough space to install the file. I bought a 4GB SDHC card and still got the message. I ended up having to download the Win32 R15 version instead of the latest version and I was able to make the card.

I booted up with the froyo and it looks nice. I got wireless working on it and I have live wallpaper but what do I do next? How do I access the marketplace. I am confused on where to go next? I using Froyo 0.6.8. I am not quite ready to go full rooting yet but like what I am seeing so far.

Link your "tablet" with gmail and youtube then you'll get the market.

Other than that...do what you want.

---------
Don
Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

Ok, I am normally very good with computers and such but I don't see any place to link the nc to gmail or youtube. Am I missing something. I know I am new to the android system but I looked through all the screens and could not find any place to link gmail to the nook.

"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

Yes, me too... I logged onto my gmail acct and to an older one... no luck.  There is a 1,000

message thread about all kinds of devices being unable to get connected to the market.

goto http://www.handango.com/ and you can download hundredsof apps including hte infamous Angry Birds...

Send to your froyo via email or better yet, send to your pc first, then ftp them to your nook.

Whne htey are in the download folder, simply click on an app to install.  then delete the installer (xxxx.spk).

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

Well, Froyo looks nice but since I can't seem to figure out how to link my nook to gmail and youtube, I will give up playing with it tonight and will try again some other time. I figured since others seem to have done this without problem, I should be able too but obviously I am missing something somewhere.

Thanks for the handango link. I will try that at some point too.

Contributor
bkprince
0 Kudos

Thank you so much. I have been struggling with how to get the apps on. I was about ready to give up when I saw this thread. I felt so dumb after seeing how easy it was.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

DrWho453 wrote:

You might try this...

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting#Enable_Market

- Mark

Inspired Correspondent
leday
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

DrWho453 wrote:

You might try this...

- Mark

These instructions, I think, are for a rooted NC that has the market already installed but not yet enabled.  The OP I believe said he has Froyo on a bootable SD card and is running it from there (I have the same setup for Honeycomb).  This way, we have the choice of booting up either the stock NC (without the SD card loaded) or Froyo/HC (with the SD card loaded), but if we boot off the card we do not have access to the NC stock functions/library/apps.  We would need the Market apps for that.  However, I think he is having the same problem I do in that we need simple step-by-step instructions on how to INSTALL the market when we boot Froyo/Honeycomb FROM THE SD CARD.  I have been through the MANY pages on the HC SD card but it is a bit overwhelming for me.  Does anybody know how to do this in an easy-to-understand manner and what market apps we would need to be able to access our internal NC library?  Thanks.

The road goes ever on.....
Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

leday wrote:

Mark_OB1 wrote:

DrWho453 wrote:

You might try this...

- Mark

These instructions, I think, are for a rooted NC that has the market already installed but not yet enabled.  The OP I believe said he has Froyo on a bootable SD card and is running it from there (I have the same setup for Honeycomb).  This way, we have the choice of booting up either the stock NC (without the SD card loaded) or Froyo/HC (with the SD card loaded), but if we boot off the card we do not have access to the NC stock functions/library/apps.  We would need the Market apps for that.  However, I think he is having the same problem I do in that we need simple step-by-step instructions on how to INSTALL the market when we boot Froyo/Honeycomb FROM THE SD CARD.  I have been through the MANY pages on the HC SD card but it is a bit overwhelming for me.  Does anybody know how to do this in an easy-to-understand manner and what market apps we would need to be able to access our internal NC library?  Thanks.

Yes, I am using the SD card bootable Froyo and I can't figure out how to access the market with it. I also tried the Handango but can't figure out how to get the apps to the NC. I tried to put it on the SD card but of course I don't see any way to view the sd card to start the app and then I tried connecting the nc to the pc and while it sees the two drives, it can't find the nookcolor driver so I can't see anything on the drive using the usb cable.

Contributor
bkprince
0 Kudos

On your PC go to Handango and choose android apps. Once there browse and pick the app you want click on it and it will give you options on where to send it. Choose e-mail and send it to your GMail. Then go to your Nook Color and open your email. You should then have a email with the app download link from them. Just click on the download link to download.

Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

bkprince wrote:

On your PC go to Handango and choose android apps. Once there browse and pick the app you want click on it and it will give you options on where to send it. Choose e-mail and send it to your GMail. Then go to your Nook Color and open your email. You should then have a email with the app download link from them. Just click on the download link to download.

Well, I tried that as well and I got it to download the files to the nc but I can't figure out how to install the app. I tried to click on the download notification that said it was downloaded but it didn't do anything and i can't find a filemanager on here that shows you the directory so i can't get to the files after they have been downloaded. I guess if I can't do this then I will either have to go the autonooter route or forget it.

Contributor
bkprince
0 Kudos

On the top of the screen you will see an arrow when you download a file. Drag the arrow down and you will see a pull down window. In that window you will see your download , click on it to start the download.

Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ok, Looks like I got it now. I did not have any problems downloading the apps but when I clicked on the down arrow nothing happened and when I pulled down the status bar, I could see the box saying that it downloaded the file but then when I let go to touch the box, the status bar dissapeared back to the top again. I finally figured out that if I pull the status bar all the way down, I could then click on the download box and install the apps.

My next question is how do I delete files from the card. Unfortunantly, two programs that I was trying out downloaded twice and so one of the files has copy on it. I cleared the status so I can't access those files and when I tried downloading the program a third time, I got downloaded but when I tried to install it, it said failed to install. I will check handango and see if I see a file utilty but if one has a link to one, I would appreciate getting the link.

I found the download status by accident and saw that I could delete the files from there. I played around a little bit more to make sure I could get back to it later if I needed to. Still if anyone has good file utility for froyo, please let me know.

Thanks

Frequent Contributor
ridgrnr
0 Kudos

If you are running froyo 6.8 the Market app is already on your home screen. Log in to Gmail/Youtube  and then launch the Market app. You might have to sign in to the Market with your Gmail account info.

As far as file managers go, Astro is included (it's also on your home screen).