Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240

Re: I'm going to sell my nook color.

Nallia wrote:

Wow.  I can't believe this thread is still going.  It was started over four months ago.

It's descended into frivolity.  Or worse.

Besides, who can forget roy257?  We are honoring him in his absence.  Or maybe honoring his absence.

I just feel sorry for those who reply to the first post, without skipping to the end.

Of course, new users should mark "all threads read", so that they only get notified (via thread title bolding) of new posts.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

I'm mostly shocked that this has gone on for this long with no mention of zombies or the Apocalypse.

We must be slacking.

Contributor
sandystarr28
0 Kudos

Heads up! Those are Refurbished Nooks....you know, all the ones we had problems with that we had to send back, and they sent us new nooks for free? I wouldn't advise getting one, because the tech told me they only fix what the user says is wrong with it. In my case, there was more than one problem, but all they wrote down was "bad power connection".
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: B&N perfidy

DeanGibson wrote:

Hidden partitions on the NC (by partition number):

There is only one partition that is visible to a USB-attached PC:  #8 (media).

The above is true regardless of the "new" or "old" partitioning;  the only thing that is different is the size of partitions #6 & #8.  Now, it happens that B&N v1.2 chooses where to put purchased content, by the size of partition #6, but that's it.

Just think, if all the Nook's partitions were visible to a USB-attached PC (meaning that they were all FAT-based file systems), we could all run Windows.  Or MS-DOS.  Oh, those sneaky B&N folks !!!

I worded that very badly. What I meant of course is that content purchased from B&N is now hidden within the new partition, whereas before it was visible.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

deemure wrote:

I worded that very badly. What I meant of course is that content purchased from B&N is now hidden within the new partition, whereas before it was visible.

... hidden within the new partition size, ...

Ie, same number of partitions;  new sizes.  Yes, you know that, but for lurkers.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Yes, DG, I keep saying it wrong. The earlier NCs and newer ones have the same partitions that contain the same items. What has changed are the sizes of the "protected" partition, that contains the OS as well as B&N content and the unprotected one for user and non-B&N content. The other thing that has changed is that the B&N puchased content-ebooks, apps, magazines, newspapers, and such, are now hidden within the protected partition. They were visible before which allowed you to copy this content to your pc. Many, but not all, ebooks can be downloaded from the website, but other items can't be.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.