Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
BCBronco19
0 Kudos

Re: I'm going to sell my nook color.

I sold my NC a few months ago; I liked it very much, but I like my IPAD2 better. But, I use my pad mostly for surfing the net more than for reading books. If I used it more for reading I likely would have kept the NC. It really boils down to your purpose, if mostly reading, the NC is a better choice for me, for surfing, I prefer the Pad. Both have their place.
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

You would have to wrest my NC out of my cold, dead hands.  But then, I'm  a reader.  In the morning, I read the news, the comics (one needs to maintain balance), and several blogs and forums.  I used to have to haul out and set up my laptop.  Now, I just unplug the NC from my bedside stand and read.  In the evening, I want to read books, and the NC is a wonderfully comfortable and competent wa to do that.  I'm not a gamer.  I lke "distraction" games to play when we're driving somewhere with my husband at the wheel.  My iPhone has plenty of them.  The iPhone also has my lists, calendar, contacts, camera and photo editors, all in a nice small form that fits in my pocket.  I don't need a tablet to do those things.  But it's too small for comfortable web browing and certainly for reading--hence the NC.  I used to have iPad envy, but my NC has cured me of that. 

But this is what meet MY needs.  I can't pass judgement on what meets the needs of others.  I do, however, often woncer about people who have bought the NC and then villify it and/or B&N because it's not what *they* want it to be.  Do your research, dudes, and after that, buy what's going to work for YOU.  Could be it's an iPad.  If it is, spend the extra couple hundred dollars and be happy with waht you bought. 

New User
JeanWright
0 Kudos

The fact that Barnes & Noble changed the accessablity to the internal memory without making that fact known when my wife bought her Color Nook is unacceptable. I have been unable to find technical Spec's on this product.

As a computer professional for the past 45 years, hiding operational facts from the user public makes Barnes & Noble look un-trustworth. They have made all computer professionals look bad.

My daughter's own older versions od the Color Nook. It appears that the older Color Nooks can not be upgraded.

Inspired Correspondent
alporks
0 Kudos

Sorry, but the older ones can be upgraded, I'm typing this from an upgraded 2010 model now.
Frequent Contributor
MaleficentIL
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

To roy257:  Where do you get off calling people losers for liking their NCs?  Get over yourself. Glad to hear you'll be gone!!!

Frequent Contributor
efeigenbaum
0 Kudos

It's a good thing you're selling your Nook Color.  We only want intelligent people to be part of the B&N community.  I hope you enjoy your new friends.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

efeigenbaum wrote:

It's a good thing you're selling your Nook Color.  We only want intelligent people to be part of the B&N community.  I hope you enjoy your new friends.

Does this refer to the OP?  This is an old thread, started in February.  I doubt if Roy has read your "good wishes."

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

I'm wondering if JeanWright's kids' nooks have been rooted.

Rooted nooks can't be updated - you have to reset to stock to go from 1.1 to 1.2. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

I'm wondering if JeanWright's kids' nooks have been rooted.

Rooted nooks can't be updated - you have to reset to stock to go from 1.1 to 1.2. 

I'm wondering why JeanWright didn't post something like "can anybody provide a link to the tecnical specs on the NC?" instead of accousing BN of keeping secrets and looking "un-trustworth". Does that make us co-conspiritors?

Can anybody provide me with the industry standard definition of a "45 year computer professional"? Apparently I am ingnorant on what this term means.

deemure
0 Kudos

Jean must have been thinking the NC's couldn't be updated because the newer ones have the hidden partition. I think, anyway. But the older ones can even be reformatted to have the same hidden partition. It is a strange thing that BN has started hiding the main partition that contains the operating system as well as all BN content not only on NCs but on the N2E as well.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:
Jean must have been thinking the NC's couldn't be updated because the newer ones have the hidden partition. I think, anyway. But the older ones can even be reformatted to have the same hidden partition. It is a strange thing that BN has started hiding the main partition that contains the operating system as well as all BN content not only on NCs but on the N2E as well.

I think it's strange as well. It's almost like they want to slyly encourage rooting. Maybe Google is suplementing BN for some of their limitations to encourage android market app patronage, or some sort of similar conspiracy.

Sam, is Google paying BN to not encourage us to leave our NC and N2E's stock? :smileyindifferent:

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240

B&N perfidy

deemure wrote:

Hidden partitions on the NC (by partition number):

1. Boot:  This partition is not even visible after rooting, unless you know how to use Linux skills to access it.
  2. "ROM" (configuration):  Visible to rooters.
  3. Recovery:  This partition is not even visible after rooting, unless you know how to use Linux skills to access it.  It's also formatted using a Unix-type filesystem, which makes it invisible to a USB-attached PC.
  4. Extended:  This really sneaky partition can't ever be made visible, even with Linux skills.  Fortunately, it doesn't contain anything (except the remaining partitions).
  5. System:  While this partition is visible to rooters, it is formatted using a Unix-type filesystem, which makes it invisible to a USB-attached PC.
  6. Data:  Same as "system".
  7. Cache:  Same as "system".

There is only one partition that is visible to a USB-attached PC:  #8 (media).

The above is true regardless of the "new" or "old" partitioning;  the only thing that is different is the size of partitions #6 & #8.  Now, it happens that B&N v1.2 chooses where to put purchased content, by the size of partition #6, but that's it.

Just think, if all the Nook's partitions were visible to a USB-attached PC (meaning that they were all FAT-based file systems), we could all run Windows.  Or MS-DOS.  Oh, those sneaky B&N folks !!!

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
0 Kudos

Official 45 year computer professional

[ Edited ]

chuck4prez wrote:

Can anybody provide me with the industry standard definition of a "45 year computer professional"? Apparently I am ingnorant on what this term means.

Not me.  I only started programming IBM mainframes in 1962, and started writing custom operating systems in 1965.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez

Re: Official 45 year computer professional

DeanGibson wrote:

chuck4prez wrote:

Not me.  I only started programming IBM mainframes in 1962, and started writing custom operating systems in 1965.

Dean, you are the posterchild of how I would expect a 49 year computer professional to present oneself. That is why I seek clarification on the definition of a 45 year computer professional. In the interest of not being vague, this is was lead to my confusion:

[JeanWright wrote:

The fact that Barnes & Noble changed the accessablity to the internal memory without making that fact known when my wife bought her Color Nook is unacceptable. I have been unable to find technical Spec's on this product.

As a computer professional for the past 45 years, hiding operational facts from the user public makes Barnes & Noble look un-trustworth. They have made all computer professionals look bad.

My daughter's own older versions od the Color Nook. It appears that the older Color Nooks can not be upgraded.]

As a computer amature for 21 years, I have a hard time with some of the finer details above. For instance, DID b&n change the accessability to the internal memory? I thought all they did was adjust the size of partitions. 

Secondly, have any other computer professionals been not able to find technical specs? I'll admit that b&n was very subtle about the partition change, but that was not the claim.

Thirdly, as an amature consumer for the past lets say 25 years (I'm 30), ALL retailers already look extremely untrustworthy. The more honest they seem the more suspicious I get.

Fourthly, Mr. Dean Gibson, I can name one 49 year computer professional that b&n has made look very good directly related to the partition allocation conspiracy, and in many other areas as well.

Fifthly, well there is no fifthly because as a 21 year computer amature, the rest of the quote above is beyond my comprehension.

Mostly, I'm just looking for a second opinion from the computer professional community on whether corporate covert ops are in any way related to all computer professionals, or would it be more fitting for a corporate ethics pundit to have made the statement quoted above.

Contributor
fritch
0 Kudos

Well good for you!!! If your that foolish go ahead it has taken me 3 day to contemplate if I should waste good time to comment on this.

Feel the Bite
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Re: Official 45 year computer professional

chuck4prez wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

chuck4prez wrote:

Dean, you are the posterchild of how I would expect a 49 year computer professional to present oneself. That is why I seek clarification on the definition of a 45 year computer professional. In the interest of not being vague, this is was lead to my confusion:

[JeanWright wrote:

My daughter's own older versions od the Color Nook. It appears that the older Color Nooks can not be upgraded.]

As a computer amature for 21 years, I have a hard time with some of the finer details above. For instance, DID b&n change the accessability to the internal memory? I thought all they did was adjust the size of partitions. 

Secondly, have any other computer professionals been not able to find technical specs? I'll admit that b&n was very subtle about the partition change, but that was not the claim.

Thirdly, as an amature consumer for the past lets say 25 years (I'm 30), ALL retailers already look extremely untrustworthy. The more honest they seem the more suspicious I get.

Fourthly, Mr. Dean Gibson, I can name one 49 year computer professional that b&n has made look very good directly related to the partition allocation conspiracy, and in many other areas as well.

Fifthly, well there is no fifthly because as a 21 year computer amature, the rest of the quote above is beyond my comprehension.

Mostly, I'm just looking for a second opinion from the computer professional community on whether corporate covert ops are in any way related to all computer professionals, or would it be more fitting for a corporate ethics pundit to have made the statement quoted above.

The answer is Yes.

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

So sell it and get back under the bridge!

Freedom is not free.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Distinguished Correspondent
Nooksie

Nallia wrote:

Wow.  I can't believe this thread is still going.  It was started over four months ago.

Now, now, don't complain *LOL*   I've seen many regulars whimpering that people should search for discussions rather than start new ones.  *smile*  I guess this is what they want.  

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Nooksie wrote:

Nallia wrote:

Wow.  I can't believe this thread is still going.  It was started over four months ago.

Now, now, don't complain *LOL*   I've seen many regulars whimpering that people should search for discussions rather than start new ones.  *smile*  I guess this is what they want.  

AHAHAHAHA!  You get laurels for that.  :smileyvery-happy:  :smileywink:

I wasn't complaining, just surprised.  LOL

*still laughing and my kids are looking at me like I'm insane because I now have tears*