Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for NOOKcolor Firmware Version 1.2

MrBreeze wrote:

Greetings! I have a very simple request, please include the ability to read a book using a black background and white text. I have used nook on my iphone for quite a while and it has always included this feature. I was supprised to see the option exists on the black & white nook but not on the nook color. Thanks, MrBreeze

You can't change the background on th e-Ink NOOK to black with white text.  You CAN do this with the NOOKcolor already.

When you have an ebook open, tap the center of the screen to bring up the blue menu bar.  Tap Text and then tap the little window under the font name.  The window you want probably says, "Normal."  A drop down menu will appear.  Scroll down to Night.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Nallia  He had me scratching my head about the e-ink model ... :smileysurprised:

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Contributor
sj9532
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

how about the ability to close Pandora with out signing out. Also a ton more options for PDF. It would be nice to have more cutomability with the nook screens and sideloaded items

Reader
JLH2977
0 Kudos

1. Ability to add non-book shortcuts to home screen 2. SWYPE!!! 3. Ability to change default web search engine (Google's mobile search results look HORRIBLE on the NC browser for some reason. While I'm here: why do all Google pages treat the NC as a mobile device despite the browser setting being in Desktop Mode?) 4. Anything software-wise that might pump additional volume out of the NC's speaker, which right now is so meek as to compromise Read To Me functionality. Very disappointed in the speaker. And by the way: anybody else find it odd that the default "Rich Text" input used in these forums cannot be typed in using... a Nook Color?! Thanks for an otherwise awesome product.
Frequent Contributor
Lilliepop
0 Kudos

Re: Ideas for Nicolle Firmware Version 1.2

1. Refresh button for the web briwser. 2. SWIPE keyboard woukd be spectacular 3. Easier way to create wallpaper on the nook because I can't seem to do it unless I have it on my PC first. 4. An area for audiobooks. I drive a lot and it would be great to be able to download from the nook store. 5. Textbook availability. 6. 64Gb sd card..and higher.
4D
Reader
4D

Re: Ideas for Nicolle Firmware Version 1.2

- Activate the on-board bluetooth capability. Yes, it will add to battery drain, so include an easy way to toggle it on and off. Make sure it support wireless headphones, as well as bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

New User
ChristianCain
0 Kudos

1. Delete downloaded books/material from device. Useful for trying to recover, bad or non downloaded covers/material from purchases. Rather than all or nothing approach from customer service. (This to me is a must)

2. Password specific shelves..

3. Hide shelves. (Archive exspecially)

4. File options (delete/rename/move) for things placed on NookColor from user/pc.

I have a Nook (G3) as well the latest firmware is/was a great advance. Porting most of those options to the color would really be a great start.

New User
ChristianCain
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It would be nice if it showed books that haven't been "shelved" yet so you know which books still need to be put on shelves.  If I remember correctly the classic nook has this and it really helped me keep my shelves organized.

Great Idea. This would also be great to apply to the noncolor Nook.

Correspondent
AnnaKuz
0 Kudos

You can - see page 29 in the UG!

As you are reading, hit the bottom of the screen to open the blue menu bar. Under the Text option, you have the rov of A's, next row is the font selection, and the 3rd row lets you select the background. Night is the (almost) black one. THis only works if Publisher Defaults is OFF.

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

First of all, let me say that I very appreciative of the improvements done with 1.1    I appreciate Barnes and Nobles engineers working hard to improve the Nook Color with upgrades.  

I would be thrilled to have these improvements:

• Ability to delete books, magazines, newspapers,.. from the Nook Color itself (instead of having to go to BN.com)

• Ability to password protect individual books, or an individual shelf 

• Music: a band equalizer  (I don't hear any bass/midtones at all with my high def ear buds)

• Apps:

Yahoo email ap

Epocrates ap

Note pad ap

Calendar ap

• PDF: book mark,highlight, note taking

New User
Jaume
0 Kudos

Easily done now! In your book, tap the middle of the screen and select Text. Under the box that shows your font, (yours probably says Normal) select Night. Voila!

Contributor
conrad2k
0 Kudos

• Improved media player with playlists and podcast support
  • photo gallery that doesn't show all book covers mixed in with my photos
  • multi-word selection lookup in wikpedia and/or google.

Apps!!

1. generic POP3 email client app
  2. Stock ticker app
  3. facebook app
  4. linkedin app
  5. Google apps
  6. note pad
  7. weatherbug
  8. netflix

New User
CharmedMoose
0 Kudos

Calendar....please!

Contributor
DivineKittyCat
0 Kudos

Please, please, PLEASE get the last page read sync to work from nookcolor to classic nook and vice-versa!!!

Everything else would be nice, too, but this has been seriously annoying me lately!!

My classic nook works perfectly with my pc and android phone app, but the nookcolor won't sync with anything--and I can't remember what page I left off... especially when I'm reading 3 or 4 books at a time!

Frequent Contributor
ironstring
0 Kudos

I'll repost my suggestions from before along with some new thoughts-- 

1.  More gmail app compatibility/access-- docs/calendar/etc.  While a separate app/doc/text file/notepad calendar would be nice and useful when wifi's not available and not really a redundancy so much as a useful backup, I already use gmail's features so I can access from anywhere in the cloud. It would be nice to continue to use these, even on my nook.

2.  PDB files, PDB files, PDB files.

3.  ADE should come loaded standard on new nook colors (and regular nooks).

3.  Not so much a firmware upgrade as a user manual and information sharing issue-- better instructions on how users can sideload the Adobe User Editions (and other sideloaded apps) to borrow books from public libraries, etc.  If we borrow the book and like it, we're more likely to buy it from bn.com and not from google books if bn.com is free with the information and doesn't make it a secret readers have to root out.  Same thing with better instructions about how to export your notes/highlights of books that you've read.

Contributor
wavydaby
0 Kudos

It would be nice if it showed books that haven't been "shelved" yet so you know which books still need to be put on shelves. ---------- Lack of this drives me NUTS!
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I only need six things to be completely happy with my NC (of course, additional functionality is always welcome :smileywink: ).  The first four of these are currently available on my e-Ink NOOK:

1. PDB support
  2. Use the same wishlist as my B&N account and NOOK Classic.
  3. Section for "Unshelved" ebooks in My Shelves.
  4. Teh ability to delete sideloaded books directly from the NOOKcolor.
  5. The ability to put sideloaded ebooks on my home screen.
  6. Better PDF support.
Inspired Contributor
postalchick
0 Kudos

I may sound childish but I want angry birds and solitary. I love apps. apps and more apps. Calculator, calendar and did I mention apps.

Inspired Contributor
mn55019
0 Kudos

While access to the android would be nice,I could live with a few more games like solitary and backgammon,netflix,an app accessible from the home screen that shows battery life left,a calender,flash support which I know is coming.

I should add that I have no interest in rooting my NC.On the other hand,it is difficult to see the ongoing parade of folks that have unlocked the potential of the nook color without feeling a little envy.An official word from BN even hinting about what might be coming in future updates and timing would go a long way towards making folks feel a lot better about waiting.

New User
NewMacBeth
0 Kudos

Thus far the only complaints with my Nook Color are:

• Flash Support - Really? That needs to be in the update.
  • Java Support
  • Apps? I would love to see a few apps available the main ones being Cozi ( a calendar app that allows cross platform updating via cell phone, computer, or any internet connected device. The app is nice because I don't have to be online to access my calendar. Check it out at www.cozi.com
  • Dropbox! Dropbox! Dropbox! This app allows full access to any file, anytime, anywhere on and internet connected device! www.dropbox.com
  • Netflix?
  • Live links in Magazines and Newspapers!!!! That would be awesome! Easy fix.
  • USER ACCOUNTS - so that I can log into "my account" and have my ebook settings already set. My wife and I share a nook color and her book settings are far different then mine.
  • Access to the browser bar at anytime without having to scroll all the way to the top of a darn webpage to go to another.

That is all.

:smileyhappy: .....oh wait. I would love some widgets too! Like weather and all.