Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

Image & Music Application

Got my NC for Christmas and have burned MANY hours tinkering and really love it.

B&N have a BIG hit on their hands... as a book seller, they need to get into the technology world though; more bug fixes and commonsense usage of the tools.

I have many questions / issues with the image handler.

1st. off, If I select an image for deletion, it asks to confirm. The image appears to go away, but the next time I run the Image App, it is still there.

2nd.  If I select an image from my library to view, (click on it) it only shows that image and I cannot advance through the rest of the images in the folder. Nor can I rotate or crop.

3rd.  The Browse by Grid shows all images across all folders including the ones in ROM, and thumbnail images from all my books.  I'd like to be able to show a discrete folder of images at a time, then perhaps a show all button.  

More ... the image grid should show folders and then open a folder when I click on it.  Folders have names, so it'd b easy to ascertain which is which.

Also, images contain lots of data that could be useful when displaying the image like name, date, size, camera, etc.  This is very basic and easy to extract.

As for Music, they need to play WMA's... for years, all windows users ripped CD's to WMA as MP3 was not supported by the Windows media player.

What's with the thumbnails from albums, very low res>

The music app needs a Quit mode... just pausing the music is not intuitive.

Can't quite get the flow of the app.  If I click on a file it plays, but again (like images above) will not advance to the next tune.

Finally, having a hard time getting some MP4's to play.  Convert via Quicktime... some do, some don't.  Again, should support WMV's.

And of course the flash issue has been addressed elsewhere.

The NC is a killer platform.  e.g. Wifey drives for 3 hours, I read while the music is cranking through the audio jack to the car stereo.  We stop an McD for a Big Mac and check email and weather, get back in car and swap roles.  Yes, I did all that with my spiffy Acer NetBook, but the reading experience, weight, etc. and SIZE make it easy and fun.  True, the netbook is a real computer and has GPS (via USB) and maps and stuff and real email, etc.  On longer trips, net book.  On plane or short trips nook.

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Distinguished Correspondent
MiniMischief
0 Kudos

Re: Image & Music Application

CaptainGuy wrote:

I have many questions / issues with the image handler.

1st. off, If I select an image for deletion, it asks to confirm. The image appears to go away, but the next time I run the Image App, it is still there.

I'm not totally sure, but I think this is a bug and you will have to delete images when attached to the PC for now. If you are talking about the images that came with the nookcolor (like wallpaper), they cannot be accessed/deleted (unless you have rooted the device, which we don't talk too much about here. :smileywink:)

2nd.  If I select an image from my library to view, (click on it) it only shows that image and I cannot advance through the rest of the images in the folder. Nor can I rotate or crop.

Yes, I'm not crazy about this either.  Try accessing the images through the gallery (Menu Button- extras-gallery.)  You can do all the stuff from there.

3rd.  The Browse by Grid shows all images across all folders including the ones in ROM, and thumbnail images from all my books.  I'd like to be able to show a discrete folder of images at a time, then perhaps a show all button.  

I'm not sure where you are looking but I don't see all those images in my picture files.  I only see the images I have sideloaded or downlaoded, and no book images.   If you can say exactly where you see this I can look on mine.  Maybe someone else knows the details, but I can't help with this one right now.

I don't really use the MP player too much (yet) so I'll leave those questions to others to help.

The NC is a killer platform.  I know, right?  e.g. Wifey drives for 3 hours, I read while the music is cranking through the audio jack to the car stereo.  We stop an McD for a Big Mac and check email and weather, get back in car and swap roles.  Yes, I did all that with my spiffy Acer NetBook, but the reading experience, weight, etc. and SIZE make it easy and fun.  True, the netbook is a real computer and has GPS (via USB) and maps and stuff and real email, etc.  On longer trips, net book.  On plane or short trips nook.

Totally agree.  Love this little device.  Hope I could help a little.

Life is too short to read bad books. . .
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@ Captain Guy.

If you select an image in your library, you CAN rotate, crop (and view the next image by tapping slide show). You just can't use the tap or use the swipe motion. 

Once you tap on the image to open it,  just tap above the lighted semi circle, and the selection bar appears. Then tap slideshow.  Tapping at the top of the photo also brings up the gallery.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Frequent Contributor
4yesh4
0 Kudos

@CaptainGuy

its called WMA (Windows Media Audio) and WMV (Windows Media Video) because its only for Windows.. I believe its a Microsoft's business decision, not B&N..

Unanimous Decision
Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

Well not exactly true...

My Samsung phone plays WMA and WMV, my car radio (Honda Fit) plays WMA. my boat stereo plays WMA, etc.

WMA is just a file format and can be read my many devices.

Contributor
Networkgeek
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have noticed this on the wallpaper pictures but not my regular jpeg pictures. In another post on this subject I read that the wallpaper files cannot be deleted unless the device has been rooted. Seems odd but that appears to be correct.

2nd. If I select an image from my library to view, (click on it) it only shows that image and I cannot advance through the rest of the images in the folder. Nor can I rotate or crop.

I noticed this also. Appears to be a glitch in the software. I found it to be worse when accessing through the "Library / Files" path to the folder. If you go directly to the Gallery from the "Extras" button on the Quick Nav Bar it works better. I also noticed that I could not always touch in the center of the photo and get the options to open up but if I pinched out and enlarged the photo that it would open the options up then. At times it took a VERY long time to go to the next photo but not every time.

I would not put this in a "broken" catagory just an annoying bug.

3rd. The Browse by Grid shows all images across all folders including the ones in ROM, and thumbnail images from all my books. I'd like to be able to show a discrete folder of images at a time, then perhaps a show all button.

Agree. I really think they need to get the wallpaper pictures moved to somewhere other than the Gallery. You can't do anything with them and they just clutter up things. The entire folder / gallery function needs some clean up work on the interface to make it work well.

I have not messed with the music files yet (and may never use this feature).

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

WMA is still a patented, proprietary format, and cannot be used freely. 

Either B&N didn't buy the rights to use it from Microsoft, or Microsoft refused to sell. 

They also had to buy the rights to use the patented mp3 format from Thomson Consumer Electronics (now known as "Technicolor").

But not the rights to use Ogg-Vorbis, as it is free and open, and unencumbered by patents.  :smileyhappy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

What we are experiencing here is the rather indifferent integration of various Android apps that B&N has yet achieved with the NC.

On an open Android tablet it is very much the wild west, and different applications sometimes interact in unexpected ways, but many folks have come to expect that. Apple overcomes that issue by more rigidly separating different applications and their data. It always works the same way there, but that isn't necessarily optimal either.

B&N is selling a non-tablet Android tablet, but has aquired the rights to use other Android applications, like portions of QuickOffice, that work in ways that are not the same as applications, like the library and ePub reader, that B&N more fully controls.

I anticipate the integration of core applications will get better in time. However, as B&N opens up their marketplace, expect the unexpected.:smileysurprised:

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

true re licensing... wma is because bill gates did not want to license from anyone at the time (remember Apple in 80-90's)... though I did license some technology to microsoft in the mid 90's. (AppleTalk application/drivers  for NT)

nonetheless, if every 2-bit music player and gadget can play wma, so too should nook

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

WMA is a mere lisence away from being on the NC, but I don't think it's a major flaw. While most major audio players support WMA MP3 is by far more of an industry standard. It's just a big of a pain for hose of us with purchased iTunes music that has drm on it to ge onto our NC if not more so, but I don't expect B&N to have an iTunes player on it.

< /br>

As for the mp4 issue there are a number of threads on the NC tech help board about video optimization. The basics of it is that frame size of the video file matters. You need to make sure the video is not bigger than the horizontal resolution if the NC, which I don't know off the top of my head. If the video is smaller than the NC screen resokution it will automatically up scale.

< /br>

The hope with both these issues that with the launch of an app store thy can be resolved. For instance, the iPad has a VLC app that is PHHENOMEONOL for different video fomats

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

In my experience, RockPlayer is not bad at all.

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

WMA was the only choice for Windows 95-98 and XP until MS licensed MP3.  In late 90's early 00's I ripped over 500 albums in WMA format.  So, even tho I still have the cds in the garage, I don't want to rip them all again.  

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

You don't need to re rip the original CDs, you can simply convert them.  There's a lot of free software that will do it for you, all you really need to do is set up a batch and let them do their thing.  You may have to reapply metadata like Album artwork if you had done this already.

WMA may have been the only real choice for WIndows 95-98 (I honestly don't really remember, but I'm pretty sure I was rocking out to MP3s on Windows 98), but I am 100% positive I was using MP3s with XP, although I never really used the Windows Media Player because it was always kind of a joke.  Irregardless, portable music players that worked off files never really took off until after MP3s became standard, and nearly ALL of them used/use an MP3 variant as their standard file type.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Yeah, you can convert them, but since WMA and MP3 are both lossy formats, I wouldn't expect much fidelity out of the resulting product.  Although it might be good enough for the NC; I don't know what audio codec chip it uses.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Contributor
sk8bikerun
0 Kudos

Quality loss is a problem if you go from one lossy encode to another at the same level of fidelity.  However, WMA has historically been a pretty good audio codec.  Especially at higher bit-rates. 

If he took his home-stereo-ready (probably 160 Kbps or better) WMAs and transcoded them down to 128 Kbps constant-bit-rate MP3s, I'd bet money that there'd be no discernable difference between those and the same-spec MP3 tracks ripped from the original CDs.  Especially when listening to them on a portable device through top-of-the-line $20 headphones.  : )

FWiW, I don't know that I'd use Windows Media Player to make MP3s without doing some research.  The newer versions may have gotten better, but when I was really deep into that I had to switch to Winamp (not free) for decent MP3 support on my Windoze boxen.  Also, WMP likes to put a half-dozen hidden copies of the album art at various sizes in the album directory.  The NC only wants to see one thing labelled Folder.JPG, otherwise the album art winds up in the Gallery app.

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

As sk8bikerun said, I doubt 95 out of 100 users would notice the difference. I work in media, television primarily, and most of my voworkers wouldn't know the difference. MP3 and WMA were not adopted gor high fidelity but ease of use.