Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
TigerShawk
0 Kudos

Is April update for fee or for free

I was watching the HSN sale going on.  They talked about the update being included, and that the update might not be free after the sale was over.  Updates to some apple products have been for-fee before, so its not unheard of.

Inspired Contributor
j_collins
0 Kudos

Re: Is April update for fee or for free

The April update will be free.

New User
Stephanieprod
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
TigerShawk
0 Kudos

j_collins wrote:

The April update will be free.

I'll hold you to that j_collins :smileyhappy:.  There's some funny stuff going on before this update.

Inspired Contributor
j_collins
0 Kudos

I really debated with myself before I answered you with that "yes." I don't think B&N would have the nerve to charge us--but, then again, who knows.

I actually based that answer on the fact that I have a classic Nook and all of the updates were free.

Having said all that, I'm running for cover if they do charge.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

When I spoke to CS this morning, I was told that it was a FREE update.

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

When the HSN hosts kept saying that HSN customers will get the update for free (without having to stand on line--that part got to me :smileyvery-happy:) over and over and over and over they seemed to imply that everyone else would have to pay for it.

Whether any HSN customers inferred that was so is another matter. I certainly knew better.

B&N has never charged for software updates for either Nook before and I don't think they will.

Did you hear that B&N? :smileymad:

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

You can not listen to HSN. They are all about selling, period. I'm sure it is free.
Inspired Correspondent
Angulimala
0 Kudos

You won't ever get charged for software updates. Some apps yes, updates no.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

If for no other reason , It will be free to get the interactive cookbooks and such working as promised.. JMHO

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

Interactive Cookbooks? That's way to Cool! Didn't know that one.
phoneboy
0 Kudos

dvt88 wrote:
Interactive Cookbooks? That's way to Cool! Didn't know that one.

The first commecials show a cookbook with videos and such. Was a short lived complaint topic on these boards.

Should be cool when they get it to work :smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Correspondent
Sardonic
0 Kudos

If B&N ever wants me to spend any money in the Nook" store they better let me in for free. I don't pay to walk through the doors at a brick and mortar store!
deemure
0 Kudos

The update will cost you but you must pay in chocolate.  I will give you the address if you PM me.  The chocolate must be either Lindor Milk Chocolate truffles or large amounts of Hershey bars and is due immediately so you will be assured one of the limited updates that will be available.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.