Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
NookonErik
0 Kudos

Is Autonooter 4 a bust?

Does anyone know if there is going to be an Autonooter 4? Or is the Manual Nooter the way to go? - How is that working out anyway?

Nook Color Wallpapers
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Re: Is Autonooter 4 a bust?

Manual nooter worked great for me. No issues at all. very stable. I've never autonootered, but it is my understanding that manual nootering is almost as simple, one extra step or something. But yeah, very little issues, hardly a force close, and usually those are with questionable free apps that I end up not likeing anyway. A week ago, there was a known issue with apps showing in the market, but there is an easy to follow fix for that. Also, getting third party apps can be real tricky. Comes with Zeam Launcher, but there are a few available for free in the android market, and I favor Go Launcher.  Easy to switch between launchers with the n home button.

Last I heard about the Autonooter, it was about 95% ready. That was a week ago.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,257
0 Kudos

Check the version ...

[ Edited ]

Manual Nooter 4.5.18 seems very stable (that's what I'm using), but from what I read, 4.5.25 has some issues.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Manual nooter is great.  It does not yet support location services, and does require reading the instructions.  There's a market fix that everyone has to apply.  My impression is that even an autonooter may require that fix (it can only be done after the device has accessed the market for the first time, and the writeup says that it's something all rooted tablets to date have needed.)

Manual nooter also gives you tools to back up your device and do further software changes easily (repartition or remove video cookbook a la Dean, for example, or use an overclock kernel) which autonooter does not. 

It's basically two more steps - instead of prep disk, drop disk in and boot it's prep disk, drop file on disk, boot, install file from disk. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Re: Check the version ...

DeanGibson wrote:

Manual Nooter 4.5.18 seems very stable (that's what I'm using), but from what I read, 4.5.25 has some issues.

hmmm. been nootered for a week and I'm already outdated. I'm on 4.5.6, what's the easiest way to update, and is a backup/restore typically needed? I've already reformatted the SD card but It can always be flashed again if necessary.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Last time I manualed, I was able to overlay the old one on top of the new one.  No wipe involved.

This may not be the correct method.  Dean would be the better person to go to for info on that. 

Take a look at the features in the new one.  For me it's not something I've gotten to, there

may be a few more apps in the market that will correctly install, but nothing big. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Great point. Im just itchin to mess with it, but it would not be fullfilling without any noticable difference. I'll look into it.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,257
0 Kudos

I applied 4.5.6 several times during experimentation, and had to do the post-install "Market dance" each time.

When I installed 4.5.18, Market worked right out of the box (so to speak).

Each time I installed from an unrooted copy, but I understand that you should be able to install over a previous version.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Contributor
sahm8108
0 Kudos

Can anyone tell me if this link to a video about install cm7 to nookcolor is all I need to install properly? Can I leave the sd card in and choose which mode I want to be in upon startup with this install? I just want to make sure this isn't an internal operating system switch.  Thanks for the help I am in no way a technical expert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88qRbLLEAPQ&feature=related

Inspired Correspondent
W8WCA
0 Kudos

They say (on XDA) that you can just do it over the previous version of Manual Nooter.

From here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1054027

Let's get started:

• If you're running a previous MN you do not need to do a complete wipe.
Come by and Visit ClubNook!

Cheers Charlie
Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

sahm8108 wrote:

Can anyone tell me if this link to a video about install cm7 to nookcolor is all I need to install properly? Can I leave the sd card in and choose which mode I want to be in upon startup with this install? I just want to make sure this isn't an internal operating system switch.  Thanks for the help I am in no way a technical expert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88qRbLLEAPQ&feature=related

The link you posted is for the full root to the NC itself and requires 1.1 not 1.2.  The manual root they are discussing in this thread is for 1.2.

It sounds like you want to do the dual boot from the SD card.  This site gives a good easy to follow directions--click on the more under the video to get the downloads.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4nenR-mNo0  

The dropbox download they mention doesn't work so you will need this file.  http://nook.handhelds.ru/jtbnet/Nook...ltiBoot-v6.zip

This discussion thread gives some good help.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/General-Rooting-question/td-p/9...

Yes, you can leave the card in if you go the SD card root.  No if you do the full root.

Inspired Contributor
sahm8108
0 Kudos

Thank you kingskidjan.  I tried the method from the link you gave me and when tried to view the sd card after I wrote the image to it, it said it wasn't formatted and asked if I wanted to format it. My sd card is a pyno 8g 10 class. After I used their formatting tool my sd card only says I have 148mb on it. Any clue what I did? Did I screw up my sd card for good? The video wasn't very descriptive as far as needing to unzip any files once they are downloaded. The winzip file had 2 of each version to pick from. The video was created in april but seems to be out of date already. 

Inspired Contributor
bchau
0 Kudos

I have finally rooted my NC with Manual Nooter 4.5.25. It was fairly straight forward. I did find out that updating flash player to 10.3 would cause NC not to boot properly. I uninstalled the Flash Player 10.1 using Root Uninstaller. Then went to the Market to download Flash Player 10.3. Now everything works great. I love my NC even more :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

sahm8108 wrote:

Thank you kingskidjan.  I tried the method from the link you gave me and when tried to view the sd card after I wrote the image to it, it said it wasn't formatted and asked if I wanted to format it. My sd card is a pyno 8g 10 class. After I used their formatting tool my sd card only says I have 148mb on it. Any clue what I did? Did I screw up my sd card for good? The video wasn't very descriptive as far as needing to unzip any files once they are downloaded. The winzip file had 2 of each version to pick from. The video was created in april but seems to be out of date already. 

It sounds like you are good to go.  When you look at the card in the NC (from the NC side) or just in your card reader you will see it as 148mb.  Assuming you did the partition, the card is still 8g and you have that storage available. If you look at it on the cm7 side, you will see the actual storage available--when I go to settings and storage, I see mine as 5.83g.  I'm not sure what program you need to be able to read the card on your windows platform.

The only file that is unzipped is the boot img file that I included.  It sounds like you should be able to put the card in and when you turn it on, press the up or down arrow and then boot as the directions gave to sd alternate.  That will unzip the files (you'll see the penguin) and then you usually have to power back up and open in SD Normal.  You will see a white square at the bottom of the screen.  Click on that and that shows your apps that you installed.   The huskermania link at about 13 gives a good overview of setting up the rest of the machine for android.

Contributor
caulktel
0 Kudos

I rooted mine yesterday using the same manual nooter that you did, and everything works great. The only thing that didn't come out quite right was my apps that I had already downloaded before on autonooter 3.0 didn't show up in the market. It was no big deal though as I just downloaded them all over and left some out that I wasn't using before anyway. About the only negitive thing I can say about it now that it is rooted on 1.2 is that it seems to be a little slower than before, like when using Dolphin HD browser, but flash works great.

Inspired Contributor
sahm8108
0 Kudos

Thank you for the help.  I got a new mSD card a sandisk 8g class 4.  Went through the whole crashtechdummies video again and it worked flawlessly this time. I am now running cm7 off the card.  My only tiff is that the nook app won't run my daughters animated/readtome books; the ones I purchased on the B&N site and the ones in their app store. I just to boot in nook mode for her to read them.  If I put angrybirds on the sdcard in the cm7 mode can I transfer it to the NC side and have it work properly? I also downloaded netflix, along with adobe flash and it works.  Wahoo.  I totally thrilled with that.

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

sahm8108 wrote:

Thank you for the help.  I got a new mSD card a sandisk 8g class 4.  Went through the whole crashtechdummies video again and it worked flawlessly this time. I am now running cm7 off the card.  My only tiff is that the nook app won't run my daughters animated/readtome books; the ones I purchased on the B&N site and the ones in their app store. I just to boot in nook mode for her to read them.  If I put angrybirds on the sdcard in the cm7 mode can I transfer it to the NC side and have it work properly? I also downloaded netflix, along with adobe flash and it works.  Wahoo.  I totally thrilled with that.

No they don't transfer from one side to the other.  I use the same card and it works fine.  Glad you are up and running,