Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
chubbycheese
0 Kudos

Is it possible to convert PDF to EPUB?

Calibre sucks doing that. I'm trying to convert a PDF magazine to EPUB like the magazines you get from the Nook store. I tried using it to convert to HTMLZ and then to EPUB. That kept the pictures but the text sucked.

Has any one had any success?

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Re: Is it possible to convert PDF to EPUB?

Is your goal to achieve "article view" functionality? If so, i believe you are at a loss.
Reader
chubbycheese
0 Kudos

No. Just being able to bookmark pages.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

I believe ezpdf reader in the b&n market can bookmark pages, and also some other stuff too. I would research the statement I just made before purchasing it though. Maybe check the reviews...
Correspondent
cinderxhella
0 Kudos

Calibre can do it! Download the program at www.calibre-ebook.com once it's downloaded and installed make sure you put the input format as pdf and the output to EPUB. If you need any help with that let me know! It's a great program

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Tho calibre does indeed convert pdf to epub. It doesn't do well with wide ranging types as magazines,Textbooks or Books with a lot of Pictures,graphs,etc.. That is why the publisher chose pdf format in the first place.

And yep it sucks the default pdf reader is so lame. And even more lame they didn't upgrade it in the 1.2 upgrade.

Your only choice as mentioned is EzPdf app for .99 cents. That will bookmark. Or can root your nook into more android type tablet and install one of a dozen pdf reader apps out there.

The only pdf's I have converted successfully are novels to epub to get bookmarking. And is mostly sucessful with only a few layout or formating issues.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Hi chubbycheese, welcome to the Nookcolor fan and support forum.

Calibre is a great program and the author is constantly improving it. 

Go to the calibre forum, post your problem and you will get a number of responses.  The converter can be tailored to do a variety of different things.  If the converter can't do what you want, the PM the author and maybe if you ask real nice, he either will give you tips on how to accomplish what you want or may even incorporate changes to make calibre capable.

Distinguished Correspondent
DrAstro
0 Kudos

I've had success converting CBR (comic book files) to PDF and to EPUB using Calibre.  I would guess that there is some kind of function that will give you what you want in calibre, it may just not be very straightforward and will probably require some googling!

Contributor
TomNat
0 Kudos

Yes, using Ezpdf you can bookmark PDFs, add notes, pinch zoom, read in landscape as well as in portrait, etc. So I would not convert PDF to EPUB, since the NC EPUB reader is much less flexible than Ezpdf. Buy Expdf for $0.99.