Reader 2
Ballent
0 Kudos

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

flyingtoastr . . . I love your tag line.  You aren't, by any chance, a member of the Florida Legislature are you?

If you think you see light at the end of the tunnel . . . turn around, you're obviously going the wrong way!
Contributor
livelaughlove_83
0 Kudos

I guess we'll see. I have spoken with two reps in the last hour and both of them refrained from giving me a specific date and stated that their policy would not allow them to give details. "This spring" was all they would divulge. Maybe you hit the jackpot with Edgar.

"True nobility isn't about being better than anyone else; it's about being better than you used to be."-Portia de Rossi (Unbearable Lightness)
Distinguished Correspondent
k2nax

B&N here. 

Can I speak to Edgar again? 

Edgar, I'm sorry no one works here by that name.

It is better to have loved your nook and lost,
than never to have loved your nook at all.
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Wasn't there at least a half dozen "nook experts" last week that swore it was coming this Monday? (yesterday)

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Contributor
livelaughlove_83
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

B&N here. 

Can I speak to Edgar again? 

Edgar, I'm sorry no one works here by that name.

:smileyvery-happy:

"True nobility isn't about being better than anyone else; it's about being better than you used to be."-Portia de Rossi (Unbearable Lightness)
flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,868
0 Kudos

Ballent wrote:

flyingtoastr . . . I love your tag line.  You aren't, by any chance, a member of the Florida Legislature are you?

I wish I made that kind of money. :smileyindifferent:

Contributor
Txdoglover
0 Kudos

I also was thinking that it would be on Monday the 25th.  (After a holiday but still in April)

I just want to thank all of you for comic relief while I wait for the update.  I have enjoyed reading your posts and looking at pics of cookies and brownies. I find myself reading a book and thinking of the board.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Correspondent
StarryNook

Lets see what happens Monday...  :smileywink:

♪ ♫Monday Monday, so good to me,
Monday Monday, it was all I hoped it would be
Oh Monday morning, Monday morning couldn't guarantee...

~The best things in life aren't things~
LGman
0 Kudos

Cassadillajones wrote:

"I've got some ocean front property in Arizona... if you buy that, I'll throw the Golden Gate in free."

I like that song.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
Frequent Contributor
robErob
0 Kudos

Whats coming?  What's happenin monday?  Jeebus?

WOOF!!
peppyauntie121
0 Kudos

Shahji wrote:

Hello,

Finally the date has been announced. It is this monday. Yeah!!!......My source of information is "chat with the nook expert". I hope the wait will be over now.

I don't think everyone realizes that B&N has a "chat" option that shows in the Contact Us area.  It appears to be available only during the week, not weekends, during business hours.

I had a "Chat with the Nook Expert" yesterday and when I asked him he said:

With regard to the software update of the NOOK Color to 1.2.0, it will released before the end of Spring, .

What exactly did your Chat person say?  Did you save the dialogue, and if so, can you copy and paste it on here for us?  Thanks...

Contributor
Shahji
0 Kudos

@ peppyauntie121, i have already posted it. Please go to previous pages of the this thread.

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

"And they shall say, "see here, or see there", go not after them or follow them...." oh wait, that a different event I'm waiting on :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

NC-Kindle wrote:
Expert - - x spurt. X is an unknown - spurt is a drip under pressure. Just saying...

Nah...Ex is past tense so expert is an OLD drip of water.

---------
Don
peppyauntie121
0 Kudos

Shahji wrote:

3:15:17 PM :  Shahge: Initial Question/Comment: Hello, I have a question about buying nook color. But i am waiting for the latest update. I was hoping if you can give me a date, or atleast if you can guide me if it will be availabe this month or the next. Thanks. Because if it is late i am going to buy galaxy tab.

3:15:22 PM :  System: Welcome to the Barnes & Noble Digital Chatroom.

3:15:22 PM :  System: Edgar has joined this session!

3:15:22 PM :  System: Connected with Edgar. Your Reference Number for this chat is 17387.

3:15:27 PM :  System: Thanks for joining us.

3:15:42 PM :  Edgar: Hi, Shahge! Thank you for joining Barnes & Noble Digital Chat Support.

3:16:17 PM :  Edgar: Just to confirm, you are asking about the latest software update of the NOOK Color. Is this correct?

3:16:26 PM :  Shahge: Yes it is correct

3:16:42 PM :  Edgar: You have a very good question, Shahge!

3:17:12 PM :  Edgar: We have received a note that the software update for the NOOK Color, which is version 1.2.0, will be released next week.

3:18:19 PM :  Shahge: That is great to know. Can you be more specific about the date. Please.

3:18:57 PM :  Edgar: Sure, Shahge. It was said that it would be released this coming Monday. We just have to make an allowance that the update will be released next week.

3:19:07 PM :  Edgar: The target date is this Monday, Shahge.

3:19:16 PM :  Edgar: Do you have other concerns, Shahge?

3:19:43 PM :  Shahge: Thanks. One more question, is this update will allow full market access or limited apps will be available.

3:20:07 PM :  Edgar: That is another good question, Shahge.

3:20:12 PM :  Edgar: Although it’s Barnes & Noble policy to refrain from commenting on any specific features of any yet-to-be released software updates, you can anticipate all the incredible features which were highlighted on HSN.

3:20:36 PM :  Shahge: That was Copy and Paste......am i right

3:21:10 PM :  Edgar: That is an official word from BN (Barnes & Noble), Shahge.

3:21:26 PM :  Edgar: I will give you a link that will highlight the features of the NOOK Color.

3:21:36 PM :  Shahge: But anyways Thanks a lot for the great news. I really apreciate your kindness

3:21:47 PM :  Edgar: This is a product that is true to its promise, which is reading what you love and loving what you read.

3:22:06 PM :  Edgar: This link would be very helpful. Please click: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/index.asp

3:22:12 PM :  Edgar: Is there anything else I can help you with?

3:22:18 PM :  Shahge: I will buy it next monday. Hopefully. Thanks for your time.

3:22:20 PM :  Shahge: Bye

3:22:42 PM :  Edgar: I am glad I was able to help you. Thanks once again for joining the Barnes & Noble Chat. Have a great day, Shahge!

3:22:52 PM :  Edgar: I am sure you would enjoy the NOOK Color enormously.

3:22:56 PM :  System: The session has ended!

Oh I totally missed this post and asked for your discussion to be C & P in another post. My bad!  

Anyhow, thanks for posting it.  It just so happens that my "Chat" with CS yesterday was also with Edgar.  Yesterday he knew nothing about it, so you were lucky to get him today to spill the beans.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

TNTLamb wrote:

Heres my discussion (it was interupted and shut down. but I was reporting my beep and reboot last night with the strange Icons appearing (I was with Jules who said it was Beta testing) got back on with Marie:

1:57:49 PM : CustomerTom Lambdin: Initial Question/Comment: Hello something wired happened is Jules there or do we start over?

1:57:54 PM : SystemSystem: Welcome to the Barnes & Noble Digital Chatroom.

1:57:54 PM : SystemSystem: Marie has joined this session!

1:57:54 PM : SystemSystem: Connected with Marie. Your Reference Number for this chat is 17413.

1:57:59 PM : SystemSystem: Thanks for joining us.

1:58:04 PM : AgentMarie: Hi, Tom.

1:58:09 PM : AgentMarie: Thank you for joining Barnes and Noble Digital Chat support. My name is Marie.

1:58:20 PM : AgentMarie: I am sorry you are having difficulties with the chat connection.

1:58:28 PM : AgentMarie: One moment while I review your question...

1:59:02 PM : AgentMarie: Thanks for your patience.

1:59:22 PM : AgentMarie: I understand that the device rebooted itself because of the update.

1:59:34 PM : AgentMarie: Don't worry, Tom.

1:59:52 PM : AgentMarie: It is just normal whenever the device receives software updates.

2:00:04 PM : CustomerTom Lambdin: Anyway my nook rebooted last night about 2:00 AM and came back with some wierd icons on the screen. Jule thought it might have been some Beta testing. So I guess the question is if its the Update when can I expect the real thing?

2:00:19 PM : AgentMarie: Just like any device or even computers, it needs to be rebooted for the changes to take effect.

2:00:44 PM : CustomerTom Lambdin: I understand but nothing changed.....

2:01:04 PM : AgentMarie: I understand that.

2:01:19 PM : AgentMarie: It is because it is still on beta stage.

2:01:37 PM : AgentMarie: I apologize for it.

2:01:54 PM : CustomerTom Lambdin: Got it! so when will it not be Beta??

2:02:15 PM : CustomerTom Lambdin: No reason to apologize, YOU didn't do it....

2:02:19 PM : AgentMarie: It will be release real soon.

2:02:34 PM : AgentMarie: However we still do not have a definite date.

2:02:53 PM : AgentMarie: It will be sent over the air so just keep your device one and connected to WiFi.

2:03:25 PM : CustomerTom Lambdin: No problem, Thanks, I'll just turn the volume down so it doesn't wake me again. Have a nice day!!!

2:03:49 PM : AgentMarie: You are welcome.

2:03:54 PM : AgentMarie: Is there anything else I can help you with?

2:04:05 PM : CustomerTom Lambdin: I'm good!!!

2:04:14 PM : AgentMarie: I am glad I was able to help you. Thanks once again for joining the Barnes & Noble Chat.

2:04:19 PM : AgentMarie: Have a nice day ahead.

2:04:24 PM : AgentMarie: Bye, Tom.

2:04:34 PM : CustomerTom Lambdin: Bye!!

2:06:24 PM : SystemSystem: Marie has left this session!

2:06:25 PM : SystemSystem: The session has ended!

Come on...really?   You do NOT have a beta, you are NOT part of a beta test.   Prove it to yourself...just go to settings and device info and it will tell you what software is on it.

1.1 I'll bet.

You are talking with "the lowest bidder" who provides a call center.    Most, if not all of them have NEVER used a NC in their life.   They have can'ed questions and answers.   They may have been trained on using the NC...but are NOT 'experts'....in any sense of the word.

They have no more information than the next person.   You want proof of that?    Turning on or off WiFI only turns on or off your connection to YOUR WiFi access point, which is plugged into YOUR ISP bet that cable modem, DSL modem, dial-up modem or whatever.

B&N sends NOTHING OVER THE AIR.

So the CS comment that  "It will be sent over the air so just keep your device one and connected to WiFi" is simply WRONG.

The process is, your NC (if WiFi is enabled) turns itself on at about 3am.   It then 'calls' B&N and re-syncronizes itself, and that is when the B&N computer system tells your NC that and update is avaiable.   It essentially asks how much battery is available and if sufficient, will then proceed to download the update.    Your NC will recognize the update is there and install it.

Nothing magic about the process and B&N does NOT 'send it over the air'

THe above process is how the Nook is updated and is how the Nook Color is updated.    The only difference is that the Nook Classic won't download the update over 3G, it will require you to run on WiFi and use that to download the update.

---------
Don
Contributor
FireTorpedo
0 Kudos

Nowhere on the Barnes & Noble site or any other website I could find is there a mention of a "Chat with Nook Expert" live chat feature. If this does exist and you arent just http://goo.gl/R2Jjh please post a link to the chat yeah? lol

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Yeah, the update will come through as a single image, weighing in at probably no more than 200 MB (previous updates have been around 165 MB or so).

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
TNTLamb
0 Kudos

My son in law is a "support person" for another CE company....The "Edgar" you talked to yesterday may not be the same "Edgar" you talked to today......

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

TNTLamb wrote:

they are beta resting the uplod so it is a lot closer than some would have it.... Its not marketing, its not legal, so possibilities are dropping....

Tom   I really do have a bridge to sell you...interested?

---------
Don