Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
FireTorpedo
0 Kudos

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

boy that don guy is an idiot lolol, nook always updates over wifi, and 3g? seriously? what the hell lol

Distinguished Correspondent
vitaminbillwebb
0 Kudos

donc13 wrote:
B&N sends NOTHING OVER THE AIR.

So the CS comment that  "It will be sent over the air so just keep your device one and connected to WiFi" is simply WRONG.

Nothing magic about the process and B&N does NOT 'send it over the air'

Sheesh. Bile much?

Anyway, your argument sounds like so much semantics to me. The vocabulary from BN has always called the process OTA updating. So the CS comment is not "simply wrong." It's using laymen's terms to explain a complex process in which the NC queries the system and then accesses/installs the update. It's shorthand.

Breathe.

Setting that aside, it's entirely believable to me that TNTLamb's NC did do a check for the update, found the beta--not a beta of the update, but a beta meant to test the system's capacity for rolling out the update. This update wouldn't change the version number because there's nothing to change. It's testing the rollout system, not the software itself. Either that, or, the NC got an actual beta of the software programmed to wipe itself after a reboot.

Besides, I ask how else you explain the phenomenon. The NC had previously unseen buttons that I--and I don't think anyone else--had ever heard of. The buttons disappeared after reboot. If it wasn't some kind of test, what the heck was it?

VBW

Inspired Correspondent
eaglejim

Lok at the title of the thread:

It's coming this Monday...

What we didn't know is that "Edgar" was pointing to a very specific Monday on his desk calendar when he made that statement...June 20, which just happens to be the last full day of spring this year....

Hmmm.....

Total NOOK Home: 1 NC, 1 Nook 3g, 2 Nook wi-fi
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

FireTorpedo wrote:

boy that don guy is an idiot lolol, nook always updates over wifi, and 3g? seriously? what the hell lol

You obviously don't know how to read.    Sorry about that.

Let me put it in simple terms.

Nook or NC call B&N nightly  but only if WiFi (or 3G) is turned on.

The Nook has to download the update over WiFi, NOT 3G so if WiFi is not turned on the Nook, it will simply give you a notice that an update is avaiable and how to get it.

The Nook Color only has WiFi, so if an update is available, it will download it and install it.

There....that simple enough for you?   

Or do you need it in pictures?

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

vitaminbillwebb wrote:

donc13 wrote:
B&N sends NOTHING OVER THE AIR.

So the CS comment that  "It will be sent over the air so just keep your device one and connected to WiFi" is simply WRONG.

Nothing magic about the process and B&N does NOT 'send it over the air'

Sheesh. Bile much?

Anyway, your argument sounds like so much semantics to me. The vocabulary from BN has always called the process OTA updating. So the CS comment is not "simply wrong." It's using laymen's terms to explain a complex process in which the NC queries the system and then accesses/installs the update. It's shorthand.

Breathe.

Setting that aside, it's entirely believable to me that TNTLamb's NC did do a check for the update, found the beta--not a beta of the update, but a beta meant to test the system's capacity for rolling out the update. This update wouldn't change the version number because there's nothing to change. It's testing the rollout system, not the software itself. Either that, or, the NC got an actual beta of the software programmed to wipe itself after a reboot.

Besides, I ask how else you explain the phenomenon. The NC had previously unseen buttons that I--and I don't think anyone else--had ever heard of. The buttons disappeared after reboot. If it wasn't some kind of test, what the heck was it?

VBW

I've got a bridge to sell you also...interested?

That is NOT the way B&N or any other large company works.   Their system has been 'tested' by previous updates.   You do NOT download a "thing" that puts new "buttons" on someone's NC to test whether the sytem works or not.

I work in the technology/software industry....I KNOW how these things work.   What happend to Tom was NOT a "beta test" of ANYTHING.

He was told in his original thread what causes those icons to show up.   They are NOT something new or special.

---------
Don
Wordsmith
ImmortalBeloved
0 Kudos

I'm so confused.

Contributor
Kumasdad
0 Kudos

Official press announcement @ B&N.com...also some type of media kit for the NC you can download...does this mean anything?

Contributor
love2nook
0 Kudos

i hope it will be here soon:smileytongue:

Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin

[ Edited ]

Good Lord. Things are getting testy around here.

B&N better get that update to you guys before you totally and completely canabalize each other! LOL

Contributor
FireTorpedo

Don, you clearly stated that barnes and noble does not update over the air, which it does, even if your nc is what queries bn's servers for the update, its the same difference. also, you are a troll i do believe.

vitaminbillwebb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

donc13 wrote:
I've got a bridge to sell you also...interested?

That is NOT the way B&N or any other large company works.   Their system has been 'tested' by previous updates.   You do NOT download a "thing" that puts new "buttons" on someone's NC to test whether the sytem works or not.

I work in the technology/software industry....I KNOW how these things work.   What happend to Tom was NOT a "beta test" of ANYTHING.

He was told in his original thread what causes those icons to show up.   They are NOT something new or special.

I swear to God, if I read this bridge thing again, I'll puke.

And if there's any sentiment on this forum that's obnoxious, it's the programming dudes who insist they "know how these things work."

Chill the frak out.

And I read the forum posts. I don't think Tom's problems are solved by the suggestions on there. It's not wishful thinking, it's skepticism.

Do I think the update's coming Monday? I doubt it.

But do I think that the CS is some outsourced guy whose never used an NC and thus deserves contempt? Of course not. Even if he's never seen an NC, he could still be giving out accurate information. He might be wrong. He might not.

But you don't--just don't--have the right to show disdain and contempt for people who can't compile a C++ code. No matter how much you "know" about "how this works."

VBW

P.S. It's called a delete key, and it's a great courtesy if you use it to remove all but the relevant portions of the reply you're quoting.

Contributor
FireTorpedo
0 Kudos

Hell yes!

k2nax
0 Kudos

GNAS: Green n Anxiety Syndrome

It is better to have loved your nook and lost,
than never to have loved your nook at all.
TNTLamb
0 Kudos

The "chat support" are not the outsourced phone folks fom India. The fact that we have had 2 "Jules and Marie" say the phenoma several have reported is beta testing is somewhat more believable  than what you saying , Don, even if you are in technology. I'm. aware of the icons for pdf etc.I'm also aware that while on wifi (over the air if you will) the NC and number of other devices check regularly for "updates" But in the several months I have had this thing it has never done this before nore has it beeped and rebootedon its own. 

Why is it so unbelievable that B & N is "pinging" testing their update? I mean other than they say they are (which is prolly reason to believe they aren't)

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Kumasdad wrote:

Official press announcement @ B&N.com...also some type of media kit for the NC you can download...does this mean anything?

That's basically a press kit with pictures and/or video for use by internet or print outlets. It includes some basic fact sheets and such. Basically advertising tools.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Contributor
Kumasdad
0 Kudos

"NOOK Color will get even better this Spring when a major update to the device’s firmware will offer customers access to explore exciting new applications, email and many other requested features."  From official B&N Press Release,  dated March 25, 2011. Copied from B&N .com

MadScntst

RRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAA ME ANGRY NOOK SMASH! YOU NOT LIKE NOOK WHEN NOOK MAD!

Take me to another place, take me to another land, make me forget all that hurts me, let me understand your plan.

Tinkering with things best left untinkered......wait a second where does this thing go?
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

FireTorpedo wrote:

Don, you clearly stated that barnes and noble does not update over the air, which it does, even if your nc is what queries bn's servers for the update, its the same difference. also, you are a troll i do believe.

No I didn't...I said Barnes and Noble does NOT SEND IT OUT OVER THE AIR.

That is the words the CS agent used to Tom.    B&N sends the updates out over THEIR computer network, a HARD WIRE.   NOT OVER THE AIR.

What happens to it when it gets to your home is up to YOU, not B&N   You can download it to your desktop and sideload it, you can turn on your Nooks WiFi and read it from YOUR WiFi system (or go to a B&N store and use their WiFi system).    It is not SENT over the air.

B&N does not use 3G to send out updates...they MUST be downloaded via WiFi or Sideloaded.

Using your logic, Exxon (or whoever) sends the gasoline from the refinery to your car over a 1" hose.     That's how it gets IN your car, but NOT how Exxon sends it from the refinery.

Let's see...I have, at this point in time, 774 posts on this forum.   You have, what .... 4?    and I'm the troll?   Shirley you jest.   Go look up the definition of a forum troll.

Again...learn to READ.

---------
Don
vitaminbillwebb

Apologies to all. I think I may have just fed the troll.

Sorry.

I guess this happens to everyone eventually?

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Kumasdad wrote:

"NOOK Color will get even better this Spring when a major update to the device’s firmware will offer customers access to explore exciting new applications, email and many other requested features."  From official B&N Press Release,  dated March 25, 2011. Copied from B&N .com

That's exactly right.    Now....follow me:

Today is April 19th.    The press release was dated March 25th.    It is now 25 days OLD.

Spring.    A season, starts about March 20th and runs to about June 20th.   Is it June yet?   Nope, got the rest of April, all of May and 20 or so days in June before the next season comes....you know, SUMMER.

The only thing new in that press release is the admission that the "major update" won't be coming in Q1 (that ended March 31st) which is the date B &N origianlly said they'd have the update out.

Now...calm down.    An update will get here...and it will get here when it gets here, and not a moment before then.

---------
Don