Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Correspondent
LGman
Posts: 117
Registered: ‎02-03-2010

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

 


akaCat wrote:

 

 

Lies! Everyone knows that the internet is a series of tubes.

 

 . . .

 

:smileyvery-happy:

 

 

And now I really want a popsicle...


Ummmm, from "Meet the Hollowheads"?  :smileyhappy:

 

One of my instructors told me years ago his theory on how electrical gadgets worked, and I can't really dispute his theory, because it always works for me.  Electricity is really based upon:

 

    Smoke

 

Cuz when the smoke escapes, the electrical thingie stops working.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
Posts: 1,581
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

Tubes.  lol

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f99PcP0aFNE

 

 

 

 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
Posts: 1,581
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

[ Edited ]

 


LGman wrote:

 


akaCat wrote:

 

 

Lies! Everyone knows that the internet is a series of tubes.

 

 . . .

 

:smileyvery-happy:

 

 

And now I really want a popsicle...


Ummmm, from "Meet the Hollowheads"?  :smileyhappy:

 

One of my instructors told me years ago his theory on how electrical gadgets worked, and I can't really dispute his theory, because it always works for me.  Electricity is really based upon:

 

    Smoke

 

Cuz when the smoke escapes, the electrical thingie stops working.


 

Not necessarily.  The problem is, it's so hard to get the magic blue smoke back inside the chip.

 

 

 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Wordsmith
DrWho453
Posts: 211
Registered: ‎01-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!


akaCat wrote:

 


LGman wrote:

 

This and your earlier statements on how the data is delivered is technically insufficient and more than just a 'wire'.  If you are going to be accurate, please include the details on how Name Service works, the TCPIP protocols involved, ethernet packetization, out of order transmission, and in fact how about the various ethernet hardware layers and their protocols.  Oh and the various firewall checks and router handshaking and even the NAT translations (redundant, I know) that need to happen just to get onto the network.  And that is just the tip of the iceberg on what really goes on.

 


 

Lies! Everyone knows that the internet is a series of tubes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

:smileyvery-happy:

 

 

And now I really want a popsicle...


Tubes? Now you tell me. I thought it was a bunch of tin cans strung together. Oh well, learn something new everyday

LOL
"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Correspondent
Koolgooseygramma
Posts: 58
Registered: ‎04-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

:smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
Posts: 1,734
Registered: ‎12-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

 


LGman wrote:

One of my instructors told me years ago his theory on how electrical gadgets worked, and I can't really dispute his theory, because it always works for me.  Electricity is really based upon:  Smoke

Cuz when the smoke escapes, the electrical thingie stops working.


ROFL! I like to build things and when they work, they are considered to be "smoke tested."

 

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
Feh5
Posts: 30
Registered: ‎04-20-2011
0 Kudos

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

:smileymad:

 

Don't think its ever coming out !

Contributor
mmccormick0921
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎03-24-2011
0 Kudos

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

 

 

I have a better chance of knowing the exact day when my unborn child is going to to be born.  

 

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
Posts: 1,872
Registered: ‎11-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!


mmccormick0921 wrote:

 

 

I have a better chance of knowing the exact day when my unborn child is going to to be born.  

 


This is a pretty rough labor.

Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Registered: ‎02-15-2010

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

 


Feh5 wrote:

:smileymad:

 

Don't think its ever coming out !


 

Really?  When has B&N not delivered on an update for the NOOK or NOOKcolor?  B&N has put out every update it said it would.  There is no reason to believe it will fail to release this one.

 

None of these complaints are new, though I realize they feel that way to some.  If you take a little bit of time to scroll back through the NOOK boards, you will see identical conversations happened at every update.  The world was about to end every time an update was expected, but it never did.  The updates all came when they were ready and life went on.  The same will happen in this case.

 

Until the next update, anyway.  :smileytongue:

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
Posts: 1,581
Registered: ‎12-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

 


mmccormick0921 wrote:

 

 

I have a better chance of knowing the exact day when my unborn child is going to to be born.  

 


 

Well, of course your due date is more accurate.  Especially if you remember the exact day, nine months ago, when you, you know, when you and him, and it was, oh, never mind!

 

 

:smileyvery-happy:

 

 

 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Contributor
mmccormick0921
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎03-24-2011
0 Kudos

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

LOL...I would like to believe it is that easy, but my first was a month early.  My second had to be pried out of me and I think my third may just fall out.  HAHA.  Either way, the exact day is never what the OB said it would be.  

Distinguished Correspondent
vitaminbillwebb
Posts: 157
Registered: ‎03-18-2011

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

 


riffrafff wrote:

 

Well, of course your due date is more accurate.  Especially if you remember the exact day, nine months ago, when you, you know, when you and him, and it was, oh, never mind!

 

 


 

I am an infant developer so I KNOW how this works, and you never, NEVER, put out a release date until the fetus has gone through an intense series of alpha and beta tests. If you've heard release date rumors from so-called "professionals" at the baby store, they don't know what they're talking about! It'll get here when it gets here, and they'll announce it when it's ready. 

 

VBW

 

 

Distinguished Correspondent
TNTLamb
Posts: 291
Registered: ‎03-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

 


vitaminbillwebb wrote:

 


 


 

I am an infant developer so I KNOW how this works, and you never, NEVER, put out a release date until the fetus has gone through an intense series of alpha and beta tests. If you've heard release date rumors from so-called "professionals" at the baby store, they don't know what they're talking about! It'll get here when it gets here, and they'll announce it when it's ready. 

 

VBW

 

 


Now THAT is the most intelligent post I have read on the U to date.

 

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Contributor
mmccormick0921
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎03-24-2011
0 Kudos

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

I literally laughed out loud.  That was great!  Thank you for that.

Reader
IndiPop
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎01-14-2010

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

I just went to the mall and asked the Easter Bunny.  He confirmed that the update will be out next week, but I'm not sure I trust a giant bunny that breaks into my house in the middle of the night and hides my eggs.

Reader
Kella
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎03-14-2011

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

Barnes & Nobles employees have been asked to be in early tomorrow by 2 hours to be trained on the update so it seemms Promising!
Scribe
03FLHT2
Posts: 695
Registered: ‎02-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

[ Edited ]

Oh I have smoked quite a few in past years and Yea it never went back in.  No inhaling as the saying goes.

 

Though on another note I have smoked quite a few transformers and other electrical things over that past few years and when you see the magic blue black smoke you Usually go OH Crap, just a little more explicit.


riffrafff wrote:

 


LGman wrote:

 


akaCat wrote:

 

 

Lies! Everyone knows that the internet is a series of tubes.

 

 . . .

 

:smileyvery-happy:

 

 

And now I really want a popsicle...


Ummmm, from "Meet the Hollowheads"?  :smileyhappy:

 

One of my instructors told me years ago his theory on how electrical gadgets worked, and I can't really dispute his theory, because it always works for me.  Electricity is really based upon:

 

    Smoke

 

Cuz when the smoke escapes, the electrical thingie stops working.


 

Not necessarily.  The problem is, it's so hard to get the magic blue smoke back inside the chip.

 

 

 


 

Inspired Contributor
Velvet_Llama
Posts: 51
Registered: ‎04-23-2011

Re: It's Coming this monday guys!!!!

Hey the title of this thread should be changed to "Mad on the Internet: The donc13 Story"