Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

It's Official - PC Mag says B&N cust. serv wait times THE WORST

[ Edited ]

PC Magazine  published current data on the retail companies with the top ten fastest response times to emails and wait times on calls to customer service, as well as the worst in both.  On customer service wait times, B&N was dead last, with customers avaraging 8 minutes on hold.See link below.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2386877,00.asp

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: It's Official - B&N customer service wait times THE WORST

Hm. 

http://blog.stellaservice.com/2011/06/13/top-response-times-from-the-top-100-e-retailers/

They really don't tell us much about their metrics. 

They claimed to study 100 retailers across two variables, response time to email and hold time on the phone. 

So that's 200 measurements to make to get throug the sample once.  Stellas says of their study "1200 calls, e-mails, and “mystery shopping” interactions"

which means that each merchant was measured an average of 6 times on each variable. 

I don't know how well people in this industry think that 6 measurements do at describing this kind of thing.

In my industry, I think the expectation is to average 20 calls before we'll accept a measurement of (for instance) a hold time. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

While i will not dispute the article, i called CS today and was on hold less than 2 minutes.  Not bad.  By the way, made the call at 1:23 EDT which means that this should have been a fairly high traffic time.

Jeremy

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Even 2 minutes is below the average response time for for all 100 retailers combined. I've had fast reponse times (sometimes no hold), but this has been an ongoing complaint for many since the Nook1 E-ink was launched in November 2009; Just thought it was interesting that a third party documented the same trend.

@ roustabout,

Thanks for posting the additional link;  6 is a pretty small sample. 

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

In B&N defense(yes I'm a fanboy), they are probably still answering the 1 mil. calls on how to remove the cookbook.  These things just take time.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

I was actually expecting worse.  From reports I've seen here I was almost expecting the report to say an average of 30 mins.  8 mins is actually not bad for phone CS at all considering what I've heard.  Still doesn't change the fact they placed dead last though :smileysad:

Distinguished Correspondent
Chubby8055
0 Kudos

Lets be honest here, Is there really any big company that has a great response time with Customer Service that is always dependable?

Being a long time gamer,Tech User & Uitilies user i can honestly say most all are about the same. Some are worse then others (Sony do you hear me?) but in general they are all on Par.
Chubbs

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Most in the top 10 are not answering customer service calls about technology products. BN is currently trying to transition from having CS that basically only had to respond about deliveries not being accurate say 2 years ago and is now answering questions about a fairly sophisticated device,  I think they are doing pretty good.  Of course, they could do better.  They could have better trained nook people in the stores and vest them with more authority like Apple does with the "genius". 

Frankly, I have been on hold longer than 8 minutes other places and I don't think I ever had an 8 minute hold time at BN. 

Also remember this survey was retailers.  Trying calling MS sometime and see how long it takes to get through.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Re: It's Official - PC Mag says B&N cust. serv wait times THE WORST

[ Edited ]

"Lets be honest here, Is there really any big company that has a great response time with Customer Service that is always dependable?

I think the above statement is accurate, the only company listed that was a tech oriented sales company was PCMall, and 100% of their sales comes from online, so they live and die by the phone and orders over the internet.  Most of the others were clothing & household goods companies and some like PCMall live and die by the phone and internet. 

A lot depends on when the survey was conducted too, if it was during the week of the 1.2 update, also were all the companies contacted during the same time of day?

I do not want to defend B&N customer service, there has been so many complaints on this forum, yet among the majority of Nookcolor regulars on this forum most have had decent service.  I have encounter in about 6 calls 1 complete idiot.  I have only talked to the USA version of B&N's cust. support once, the other times were the Philippines version.

Note it is the official policy of B&N that if you connect with the PI B&N cust. support you can request USA cust. support and they by policy have to transfer you.

------------edit ----------------

from another thread

"

called B&N "Help" line and asked to be transferred back to U.S./American techie and all refused to do so. 

I have been told by two separate B&N stores that the official policy regarding tech support calls and talking to a Filipino tech rep, if you request USA support they have to transfer you.  If I called twice and got the same response, I would call my local store and have them make the call to USA support and call your phone.  I have already done this once.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I can't even remember how many times I have called CS, and I have never been put on hold for more than a minute or two. I  have purcchased on line and spoke with IT folks, and they have always been great.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

From the article:

"To reach its conclusions, StellaService logged about 1,200 calls, e-mails, and "mystery shopping" interactions over multiple days and multiple times periods. "

On what days? B&N released a much anticipated update for a device we are all familiar with a few weeks ago, and they started shipping a brand new device what, about a week ago?  So my question is how much of this study was impacted by the temporary increase (and how big was the increase?) of "user error" calls, complaints, and questions? I think the results come down to bad timing.