Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder

It's now Official, I am a One Device Person

I sold my Kindle last week, and yesterday i sold my Ipod Touch. I hesitated at first, but after 2 weeks of Nook Color use, I found that my NC could effectively replace my Touch and my Kindle. I now have all the digitized movies, pictures,music library, magazines, newspaper, and of course my books on one wonderful device.

I had to put the NC to the test and see if it could in fact replace the iPod Touch and the Kindle, it did with no real noticible difficulities. Actually it was very simple, and stress free. The only drawback that concerned me is the size of the NC, with the iPod Touch it is very portable, making it easy to carry around. That was my biggest reservation about the NC, but with a little thought, I found that the NC can be easily carried, i have a very small backpack the NC tucks away into nicely, and my headphone just fit easily through the top of the zipper and boom, I am rockin'.

I am all about convienence, and i did not want my routine to be changed. Luckily the NC only enhanced my routine, and did not effect it negatively, again size and portability was the concern. I found the transition was hardly noticible and my daily routine is, well, routine.

Oh and since I am rooted, my apps are on the NC as well and I am just happy, happy, happy. I really think the NC is damn near the perfect do it all device. Smaller that the iPad, larger than the Ipod Touch, the NC is the Goldielocks of the the above mentioned devices, just right.

Music sounds great through headphones, movies are AWESOME, apps are better, easier to use, due to their size. Books are, well, they are great, no more straining to read small print, and for 46 year old eyes, that is a big deal. I LOVE magazines on the NC, they just seem to come to life, bright, vibrant, and easy to navigate. My local paper is in ADE format and reads just like the paper version, but much more bright and again vibrant.

Well I guess I could just go on and on, but i suppose i have to end this long winded post at some point so it will be here, with my final thought. I absolutely love my Nook Color, it is by far the most used possesion i have, it is my music player, my video player, my daily paper, my books, my magazines, my mileage tracker, my email, my browser, my sports scores, my picture viewer, my grocery list, my...............................................do everything device.

The End...for now

"Keep me, Protect me, Share me, and I Will Live Forever"
From the Kodak Gallery, A powerful & Moving Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWwqAI6x9A
Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

Re: It's now Official, I am a One Device Person

I agree!

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

@Niteryder

Great post! It's always good to hear about it when someone gets a lot of use out of the nook color. Sounds like you are set for just about any situation.

Happy reading, listening and watching :smileyvery-happy:

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Glad it worked out for you, but...I'm sure you are mistaken.  Steve Jobs stated emphatically that a 7" tablets are "dead on arrival."  

Of course, over the years, I've learned to take anything SJ says with a grain of salt.

:smileyvery-happy:

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Steve Jobs may join the ranks of such brainiacs as those that said Titanic was unsinkable
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1
0 Kudos

Yeah!!! Another one has converted!!! WooHoo!! lol:smileyvery-happy:

www.redbubble.com/people/grinch
phoneboy
0 Kudos

I can see putting the Kindle or Nook classic on the shelf .  ME, I would keep the Ipod. NC is to big to use as a carry around/clip to your belt MP3 player. I am hopping they come out with a Zune 2 that rivals the Ipod.(wont eat from the forbidden fruit). For now my Sanza fuse works fine.

JMHO

Would be TOO cool if we could sync music library NC to mp3 via Bluetooth :smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Frequent Contributor
crystal3
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

I can see putting the Kindle or Nook classic on the shelf .  ME, I would keep the Ipod. NC is to big to use as a carry around/clip to your belt MP3 player. I am hopping they come out with a Zune 2 that rivals the Ipod.(wont eat from the forbidden fruit). For now my Sanza fuse works fine.

JMHO

Would be TOO cool if we could sync music library NC to mp3 via Bluetooth :smileyhappy:

Sorry to burst your bubble, phoneboy, but MS announced no more Zune devices :smileysad:.  They're just going to include the Zune software on Windows 7 phones.

Frequent Contributor
crystal3
0 Kudos

Niteryder wrote:

I sold my Kindle last week, and yesterday i sold my Ipod Touch. I hesitated at first, but after 2 weeks of Nook Color use, I found that my NC could effectively replace my Touch and my Kindle. I now have all the digitized movies, pictures,music library, magazines, newspaper, and of course my books on one wonderful device.

I had to put the NC to the test and see if it could in fact replace the iPod Touch and the Kindle, it did with no real noticible difficulities. Actually it was very simple, and stress free. The only drawback that concerned me is the size of the NC, with the iPod Touch it is very portable, making it easy to carry around. That was my biggest reservation about the NC, but with a little thought, I found that the NC can be easily carried, i have a very small backpack the NC tucks away into nicely, and my headphone just fit easily through the top of the zipper and boom, I am rockin'.

I am all about convienence, and i did not want my routine to be changed. Luckily the NC only enhanced my routine, and did not effect it negatively, again size and portability was the concern. I found the transition was hardly noticible and my daily routine is, well, routine.

Oh and since I am rooted, my apps are on the NC as well and I am just happy, happy, happy. I really think the NC is damn near the perfect do it all device. Smaller that the iPad, larger than the Ipod Touch, the NC is the Goldielocks of the the above mentioned devices, just right.

Music sounds great through headphones, movies are AWESOME, apps are better, easier to use, due to their size. Books are, well, they are great, no more straining to read small print, and for 46 year old eyes, that is a big deal. I LOVE magazines on the NC, they just seem to come to life, bright, vibrant, and easy to navigate. My local paper is in ADE format and reads just like the paper version, but much more bright and again vibrant.

Well I guess I could just go on and on, but i suppose i have to end this long winded post at some point so it will be here, with my final thought. I absolutely love my Nook Color, it is by far the most used possesion i have, it is my music player, my video player, my daily paper, my books, my magazines, my mileage tracker, my email, my browser, my sports scores, my picture viewer, my grocery list, my...............................................do everything device.

The End...for now

Glad to hear when someone is actually liking the NC!!!

phoneboy
0 Kudos

crystal3 wrote:

phoneboy wrote:

JMHO

Sorry to burst your bubble, phoneboy, but MS announced no more Zune devices :smileysad:.  They're just going to include the Zune software on Windows 7 phones.

Well thats not a big surprise since it was the equivalent of the Archos to NC comparison One :smileymad:

Someone needs to put out a device that competes.  

phoneboy
0 Kudos

And how rude of me... GREAT post niteryder  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

crystal3 wrote:

phoneboy wrote:

JMHO

Well thats not a big surprise since it was the equivalent of the Archos to NC comparison One :smileymad:

Someone needs to put out a device that competes.  

iRiver used to.  Their H300-series and earlier H100-series devices were great. I still use my H320.  MP3, ogg, wav, video, FM radio, stereo recording to mp3 at 320kbps, etc. Rockbox open-source firmware is available.  Great little player.  Even have a second one in storage, just in case. :smileywink:

Alas, iRiver, like so many others, has succumbed to the DRM serpent.  Nowadays, the only remotely comparable DAP I've found is the Cowon/iAudio series of players, like the X7.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Inspired Contributor
Azilla
0 Kudos

Wish I could go down to one device lol

Droid2 running the leaked Gingerbread *runs soo nice even blur is better and decent now*

Nook Color, rooted and still between which Rom I wanna use

Macbook Pro.

thats what I take to work everyday

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Niteryder, I've always heard that expression to keep all your eggs in one basket.  I'm happy for you.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@phoneboy,

My biggest reason for hesitation on selling the ipod touch was exactly that, it is very portable. When I am biking, walking the ipod touch is great, easily portable, and fits in my pocket. I have to admit that I do have an older ipod Nano 8GB that if it becomes a neccessity, I can carry. But, when I do any of those activities, I usually have a few things i need to carry, wallet, keys, cell phone, etc. This is the reason i got the small pack, and upon further review, I found that the NC fits in it perfectly, and it is not necessary to take the ipod. I can live with the larger size of the NC to not only have my music, but now have, again, my books, video, et al. Nothing better than stopping for a break, listening to the tunes, and reading the paper, or a magazine, and doing it eye strain free.

There is nothing perfect, if I could the NC could be shrunk, to ipod touch size when carrying it, and then enlarged to ipad size when stopping to read, that would be perfect, but it doesn't, and the NC is a very nice compromise.

Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

Niteryder wrote:

@phoneboy,

My biggest reason for hesitation on selling the ipod touch was exactly that, it is very portable. When I am biking, walking the ipod touch is great, easily portable, and fits in my pocket. I have to admit that I do have an older ipod Nano 8GB that if it becomes a neccessity, I can carry. But, when I do any of those activities, I usually have a few things i need to carry, wallet, keys, cell phone, etc. This is the reason i got the small pack, and upon further review, I found that the NC fits in it perfectly, and it is not necessary to take the ipod. I can live with the larger size of the NC to not only have my music, but now have, again, my books, video, et al. Nothing better than stopping for a break, listening to the tunes, and reading the paper, or a magazine, and doing it eye strain free.

There is nothing perfect, if I could the NC could be shrunk, to ipod touch size when carrying it, and then enlarged to ipad size when stopping to read, that would be perfect, but it doesn't, and the NC is a very nice compromise.

Here is my thought on it. If they can get a wii remote to play with a rooted NC then surely someone can come up with a remote that will work with an audio player on the NC so when you are out running or walking, you keep the NC in your small pack or backpack and use the remote to switch songs. Now that would be cool especially if the remote could show you the titles on screen.

"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

Niteryder wrote:

I really think the NC is damn near the perfect do it all device. Smaller that the iPad, larger than the Ipod Touch, the NC is the Goldielocks of the the above mentioned devices, just right. 
Amen!  Very well said.

The End...for now

This is the only thing I'd argue with you on.  It sounds like it's just the beginning.

- Mark

Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder
0 Kudos

Well Mark you may be right, great name BTW I am also a Mark.

Anyway, today I downloaded my one of my alltime favorite movies, Tombstone. I went to school to pick up my daughter, you have to get there 25-30 minutes early if you want to find a place to park. I took my NC and plugged it into my aux-in plug in the stereo, knowing I had at least 30 minutes of time to kill. Well the experience of watching Tombstone in stereo was like being in the theatre, in a word AWESOME!!!!

Tomorrow i just may leave an hour early, plug in, and watch the greatest of all movies, the original STAR WARS. The sounds of the battles and the light sabers, the opening theme and the villian we all love to hate Darth Vader may just be audio bliss.

Correspondent
g0tr00t
0 Kudos

Best thing about rooting, is being able to put Mini-books on my custom home screen and it doesn't matter if they are downloaded or sideloaded.

Also, this is replacing my iTouch...soon I will be fully Androidized

http://www.businessinsider.com/samsung-galaxy-player-2011-3