Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CindySNJ
0 Kudos

Items keep appearing on the home page

Hi:

Every time I go to my home page, there are APS and books there that I did not put there (they are on my Nook, but didn't want them on the home page).  I delete them from the page, then later they reappear.  Others appear on the home page anytime I use them.  Is there a way to stop this?  It's annoying to have to keep cleaning up these icons every day.

Ed

Ed Sciano, not CindySNJ as it says at the top.
Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

Re: Items keep appearing on the home page

I think this is a known bug in the new 1.4.1 (along with the reappearing deleted emails). I hope I'm wrong and someone can help us. I find both issues annoying.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

I am running 1.4.1 and don't have that issue. It's not related to the email thing.

Check under Settings > Home and make sure that, under "Daily Shelf Items" you have "Recently opened Library Items" unchecked.

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

mbratch wrote:

I am running 1.4.1 and don't have that issue. It's not related to the email thing.

Check under Settings > Home and make sure that, under "Daily Shelf Items" you have "Recently opened Library Items" unchecked.

Yes, the daily shelf and email bugs are different. But I've seen both widely discussed here after the 1.4.1 update.

Re: the apps: I have the box unchecked. Yet when I go to apps and do a check Check for Updates, then go back to the home page, I have three recently downloaded apps reappear after I've repeatedly Removed them from Home. I can go to the apps page then back to the home page and they're not there--but if in apps, I check for updates (and find no updates available), I have three apps that reappear on the home page. I think that all three reappearing apps are apps that I downloaded and installed after the 1.4.1 update so maybe you won't see deleted apps reappearing on the home page until you've installed some new apps--then you may see them pop up again each time you check for new apps.

Besides having unchecked the "recently opened apps to home page" box, note that I've not opened or run any of the three--yet they reappear.

I believe I'm seeing a bug in the 1.4.1 update here although I agree that by unchecking the box, it should solve one of Cindy's problems, the one where her recently used apps reappear.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks CraigAZ, I hadn't seen the report before on the stuff showing up on the home screen, so I didn't realize it was common. Indeed, I agree that it sounds like a bug of some kind. Although it's not universal, as I have not experienced it (and I've done app installs after the 1.4.1. upgrade). And I assume you've done the full reboot routine and all that... and tried archiving and re-installing them?

I'd still recommend some of the other posters check their settings, though, just to be sure that's out of the way.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Add me to the list. It is only happening with apps not books for me. Even though my settings are not checked to add things to the daily shelf etc. Any used or updated app is added to my homescreen. If I have several I just go in to settings and clear the shelf there, a bit quicker.