Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
mariel9898

Don't be chicken, it's really easy!

The misconception about rooting being hard is because there are several ways to do it. Currently, the NC is running on Android 2.1 (Eclair). You can root to a different version such as 2.2 (Froyo) or 3.0 (Honeycomb) or other ones that are out there. For non-techies (like me) these can be more difficult. If you want to play around with other versions of Android you can find directions in lots of places. If you want to keep things simple, keep reading.

Don't let the bold parts below scare you - you just have to pay super attention to them.

For most people who want to keep all the stuff they bought the NC for but just want a bit extra from the Android Market, you want to use some version of Autonooter. This basically allows you to root your NC without losing any of the functionality that you currently love and allows you to replace a lot of things you may not love. It opens up Android 2.1, freeing it from the constraints placed on it by B&N. There is no need to buy a card from eBay - you don't know exactly what you are getting and why pay $30 for this anyway?

Here is what I recommend for those that want to take the plunge. It will take about 30 minutes at the most.

First, view Huskermania’s video on YouTube. It’s about 15 minutes long and it’s the clearest and most easy to follow one that I’ve seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUoHALWvPts

For those of you (like me) who also like to have written directions you can go here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=942424

Second, get yourself a class 6 or higher microSD card from a reputable manufacturer such as Sansa or Transcend. Make sure the card is either new or that there are no files you want on it. You can use a lower class card, I think Huskermania does in the video but most devs don’t recommend it. You can get an 8 MB class 6 card for $20 or less in lots of places. Most of them come with a free USB readerr and/or an SD adaptor. Just make sure you have a way for your computer to read the card.

Third, I recommend you charge up your NC all the way. This is not strictly necessary but you really don’t want to be running low on batter power for this.

Fourth, check to see what firmware you are running. Turn on your NC, go to “Settings”, then “Device Info” then “About Your NOOKcolor”. See what is says under “Software version”. It really should say 1.1.0 because that is the latest firmware and was the update that was pushed out in January. Most of you probably have that if you use WiFi regularly. If you don’t go the NC pages on B&N and read the directions on how to update.

Do not use Autonooter 3.0 if your firmware is not 1.1.0. If you don't want to upgrade your firmware, follow the links under the video for the appropriate autonooter file.

Fifth, while this is not totally necessary at this point I highly recommend you open a gmail account. If you have an Android phone you probably already have one since it’s needed to set up most phones. If you forgot what it is, find it and your password too. If you don’t have one go to mail.google.com/mail/signup and get one. Make sure there is a credit card tied to your account. You don’t strictly need one but there are some paid apps so you might.

You are now ready! Follow the directions in Huskermania’s video with one small change – make sure that you use Autonooter 3.0 which can be found here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?46vb5569wm35kp6

Follow the directions. That’s all there is to it. Especially the one about removing the microSD card when you are done!

A few other notes. I had to do a bit of research on different boards after I rooted so here are some of the main things people run into:

1) If you are using a class 6 or higher card it probably won’t take 5 minutes for the root. Mine came up in about 90 seconds.

2) Before you try to download apps from the market make sure you are logged into GoogleTalk (the icon just says “Talk”). I don’t really know why but if you aren’t you will not be able to download files correctly. It will state that something is being downloaded but it just hangs in limbo.

3) Your NC will look just about the same as before, but if you open “Extras” you will see much more stuff than before. Rooting this way will keep your original B&N home pages. You will have the same 3 screens you had before, your books will be there, your daily shelf, etc.

4) Keeping this stock launcher means that you won’t see your apps in the Extras until you restart your NC – a complete restart, not just going to sleep. If you want to be able to see your apps right away you have to install a new launcher, but they give you the ability to toggle back and forth between the new launcher and the B&N stock launcher.

5) If you want to use your apps right away, click on the notification icon on the bottom left of the screen and it will show a list of what was just installed. You can launch the app from there.

6) I recommend a file explorer such as Astro. This will let you look at your files, change things and delete things.

7) When searching the Android Market hold the NC in landscape mode (not portrait like reading a book). For some strange reason if you hold it portrait only 9 or 10 apps show up but if you hold it landscape a ton of apps show up.

8) If you don’t like the SoftButtons app that comes with this root install something like Button Savior. What these apps do is show you the basic Android buttons on your screen so you can move around in apps just like on your Android smartphone. Gives you more usability and saves wear and tear on your Nook home key.

Happy Rooting!

Frequent Contributor
PicklesKS
0 Kudos

Re: Just call me chicken. I am scared to root. Please tell me if your root was successful or not.

I bought an 8gig micro sd card with the android Froyo system on it for my NC. Some of the apps are great, it plays tv shows from abc.com, etc, which I love. However, when I go back to using it in Nook mode and try to read books downloaded from the library I get an error message saying "User not activated". The serial number actually turned to all zeros. Only books and magazines from Barnes and Noble seem to work, not ones I've purchased from CBD or gotten from the library.  I was able to get it back to it's original state, but then the apps and videos don't work.

I'm a bit frustrated by this since I bought the NC to be able to read library books. I prefer reading books with Nook Color rather than the Nook app.

Does anyone have suggestions for being able to read library books while running Froyo?

Wordsmith
Tweedledee

Re: Just call me chicken. I am scared to root. Please tell me if your root was successful or not.

[ Edited ]

Are you trying to read them while the Froyo SD card is in the nook?

I think, maybe wrong, but you would have to take the card out and reboot as nook only without the card.

I used the Autonooter for this reason - there is a pure Android platform and the nook platform a happy family working side by side.  My sideloaded material is quite visible, my nook library from B&N is functional, and all of my apps from the market work.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Frequent Contributor
earthangelrn2003

Thanks dparrothead1:smileyhappy: I think I will give autonooter a try.
Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

Which directions are you going to use?  Nookdevs or XDA.

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Wordsmith
irunlikeagirl
0 Kudos

Has anyone used a class 4 card with autonooter 3.0? I am wondering if I need to go buy a class 6 one in the event the market doesn't show up next month.
Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Used a class 4 8GB card - no issues, no problems - Autonooter method 3.0.

Then reformated the card and used it for data in the nook afterwards.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Wordsmith
irunlikeagirl
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick reply, Tweedle!  I'm glad to hear I don't have to buy another card. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy
0 Kudos

After much time wasted trying to get to the market on an SD Booted Honeycomb, I've deduced that unless you have an android phone already and a valid number associated with it, you can't get to the market and will always get the "No android device etc." message.

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

CaptainGuy wrote:

After much time wasted trying to get to the market on an SD Booted Honeycomb, I've deduced that unless you have an android phone already and a valid number associated with it, you can't get to the market and will always get the "No android device etc." message.

Well, I don't know about honeycomb but I got marketplace to work on a froyo bootable sd card with the zero serial number. I have download a few files from market place. One of them is a crossword puzzle that downloads from la times and other daily and Sunday papers. I like it a lot better than the nc standard version.
"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Frequent Contributor
earthangelrn2003
0 Kudos

@ dparrothead 1 I successfully rooted with autonooter 3.0 using links to a youtube video and autonooter that I found in an earlier post from Mariel. I love it. Thanks for asking.
Frequent Contributor
earthangelrn2003
0 Kudos

Re: Don't be chicken, it's really easy!

Thanks for posting this. Your links were very helpful.
Wordsmith
dparrothead1
0 Kudos

And now your very good device is even greater!!!

Enjoy!!

Life is not about weathering the storms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

It's a semi-true story!
Correspondent
crim_crazy622
0 Kudos

I attempted to root my nook using Froyo. I got it to sucessful launch but it wasn't letting me download any apps and it was saying "phone" instead of tablet.  Since I couldn't download any apps, I unrooted it. Today I tried auto nooter 3.0 but I couldn't get it to load. So I went back to my plain old nook color... I guess my nook just wants to be a nook or it's saving me from not getting my research paper done!  Can't wait for the upgrade. Next week is mid April so maybe just maybe...

"I think the fact that we're all gonna' die is a pretty good reason to stop complaining." ~Dave Matthews ~
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

crim_crazy622 wrote:

I attempted to root my nook using Froyo. I got it to sucessful launch but it wasn't letting me download any apps and it was saying "phone" instead of tablet.  Since I couldn't download any apps, I unrooted it. Today I tried auto nooter 3.0 but I couldn't get it to load. So I went back to my plain old nook color... I guess my nook just wants to be a nook or it's saving me from not getting my research paper done!  Can't wait for the upgrade. Next week is mid April so maybe just maybe...

Did you follow Huskermania's video exactly? Did you use the right card and wait the right amount of time?

Since you rooted to Froyo first, did you then go back to "factory fresh"? If not, that might be why autonooter didn't work.

Correspondent
crim_crazy622
0 Kudos

I did follow Huskeymania's video on the froyo download. I am not sure why it wouldn't let me download any apps. It would get the notification and say  "no service" at the top.  I unrooted it using the same program that I rooted it with and rooted it back to the 1.1.0 version. (I read part of the Lincoln Lawyer last night on it before I attempted again this morning.)  I am not stressing out about it. I mean part of me felt like I was abandoning the purpose of my nook when I rooted it.  I am going to trust that my nook just wants to be a nook and I'll just wait til the upgrade comes out. I've got plenty other things to worry about than the nook update. Thanks for the concern and tips.

"I think the fact that we're all gonna' die is a pretty good reason to stop complaining." ~Dave Matthews ~
Reader 4
tamborine
0 Kudos

Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

I just rooted my NC with autonooter. I still have froyo on my SD card for now but I am so glad I rooted. Now I just need to find the launcher app so I can stop rebooting my nook everytime I download an app. I couldn't find it with the marketplace app on the NC so I will check the marketplace with the PC and see if I can get it that way.

"It is one of the ironies of modern rule that it is far more acceptable today to affirm publicly one's belief in God, for whose existence there is no scientific evidence, than UFOs, the existence of which - whatever they might be - is physically documented." - Alexander Wendt and Raymond Duvall
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Try Zeam.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Wordsmith
DrWho453
0 Kudos

riffrafff wrote:

Try Zeam.

Thanks. I found the launcherPro so now I have both launcherPro and Zeam. Installed. I also have lookout installed as well.