Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
littlelotus2000
0 Kudos

Re: Just received this email......

I bought that thing too, before the NookColor came out: it sucked :smileysad: The processor is WAY slow, so the browsing was horrendous. That wouldn't have prompted me to return it though, since I bought it as an r-reader primarily: it was the cursed RESISTIVE SCREEN! It would take half a dozen taps to turn the page. So back to QVC it went, and when the NC came out, got it for Xmas :smileyhappy: I am looking forward to the updates, but honestly, it's great regardless. I'm guessing it was easier to update the pandigital because it is a less complex device with fewer things to tweak anyhow.

Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT
0 Kudos

I think another thing people should remember when looking at Pandigital devices is that it's made by Pandigital. Not by B & N.

My understanding from what I've read on the Novel device is that B &N partnered with Pandigital to bring an ebookstore to it as a vehicle to sell and establish there ebookstore before they really had the nook solidly launched as a product. This falls with B & N's strategy when they were trying to become the content provider for multiple ereader devices. Then they launched their nook software for general use devices and the nook hardware where they control it all.

B & N probably has no more control or influence over a Pandigital update anymore than they do for an iPad. As being partners for the B & N eBookStore (not the nook app) they probably had a contractual agreement for promotion. 

Distinguished Correspondent
gaming_grandma
0 Kudos

Our local Costco dropped Pandigital because there were too many problems with the reader they were carrying. I love my rooted NC and assume that the Pandigital download is a beta test on a small scale. So far B&N has been masterful in its marketing.
Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

My son has a Pandigital and this update came out AT LEAST two weeks ago, maybe longer.  It must just be that BN is now getting around to mailing people about it. 

It is a vast improvement for the Pandigital - which I confirm sucks to begin with.  My son is fine with it but I can't stand the thing.  This update gives it a mock Market that has limited apps available, which is presumably what we're getting with for the NC.  For the Pandigital it does make the homepage completely different and easier to navigate, which it desperately needed, but it still sucks.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Maybe they are beta testers.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Wordsmith
melouria
0 Kudos

FredOak3 wrote:

I have a PD along with my NC. This isn't a new update it's been out since 3/31 and we've been playing with it over on Slatdroid since then. It really isn't anything new either as they had an update on 3/2 also.

The PD has had the android front end for a while now. 

So they didn't get anything first, it's just some bug fixes on what the PD already had.

Yep, I have both, too.  Husband rooted the Pandigital some time ago and hasn't decided whether to download the new update or leave it as is.  I'll have to tell him to visit Slatedroid to see what you guys think about the update.

Frequent Contributor
Moonchild54
0 Kudos

Musicmama I feel your pain! I too bought the Pandigital from QVC,but did it twice.What was I thinkin?Returned them and got the Cruz from HSN, that went back too.Then I went back to QVC and got the Pandigital 9" tablet,yeah I could'nt return that one fast enough.It came with a cracked screen.So went to BN and got the Nook classic.but I was spoiled by then.Once you experience color and touch screen nothing else will do,so my son finally had enough and got me the NC.I would be totally happy if the update would come already.

Frequent Contributor
Nokomarie
0 Kudos

I had one of those pandigital picture frames. The thing overheated. It got so hot that you couldn't touch it but you could smell it.

I unplugged it and contacted their customer service and they simply blew me off. They didn't care beyond the fact that it was outside it's 90 day warranty.. they didn't care that the thing was a fire hazard. Did NOT want to hear about that (fingers in ears lalalala) I tossed it in the trash and vowed never to buy another one of their products.

Granted that was a couple of years back and they're probably better now but I do hold a grudge.. especially when my house is invaded by smoking picture frames.

Frequent Contributor
Moonchild54
0 Kudos

Yeah I think the threat of fire might do it for me too.Pandigital's products are improving but not fast enough.The touch screen response was so slow.