Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Tim_J
0 Kudos

Last page read error message

Since 1.3.0, when I open a book, I get a message that the last page read on this device is not the same as on another device. Do I want to go to last page read on this device....or words to that effect.  Problem is, I've only been reading the book in question on the NookColor.  This happens just about every time I return to the book.

Ideas?

Distinguished Correspondent
SLevine
0 Kudos

Re: Last page read error message

Hey Tim_J-

Do you own another device or perhaps a NOOK reading app (say, on your PC or phone?) ? Please PM me with more details so I can regroup with our engineering teams ASAP.  Thanks a lot --Sam

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Sam, I have the same thing happen, but not with all books. I, of course do have othet devices and the pc app. But, to give a cor instance in my case, I downloades a new book and only had it on my NC. I opened it and got that message. Specifically it said something like, "on another device you are on page one in this book and are on page one on the NOOKcolor, do you want to go to the page on that device or stay here?" That is definitely not word for word. I also have gotten a message on some, but not all books that I have on other devices.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
SLevine
0 Kudos

Dee- can you send me a PM with your serial # and the titles? Thanks a lot-- Sam

Contributor
yooper46
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am having this same problem.  Was posting under technical support.  Here is my last post:

"I don't have the Nook for PC and have never sync on line  (I keep WiFi off and resoslution to 20% or else I have to charge battery every day.)  This happens every time I turn the Nook on and try to go to a book I have already been reading.  The exact message is:

Sync to furthest read page?  On this device, you are currently on page 1.  On another device, you are at page 184.  Where would you like to start reading?"

It has happened now on the following books since update: Flash & Bones, Eve, Skeleton Canyon, True Blue and One Summer. (Reichs, Johannson, Jance, and Baldacci)

SLevine
0 Kudos

Yooper, can you please PM me with further details (your device serial number, the titles of the books)? Thanks a lot. 

Reader 4
sandyshore
0 Kudos

I have also been receiving a message that the last page read on this device is not the same as on another device. Do I want to go to last page read on this device. I've been receiving this message since the 1.3.0 download. I only have the Nook Color, no other devices, or PC downloads. I was hoping it was a temporary bug, it happens almost every time I go to read an ebook.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Of the times I've noticed this. it seems to be when I turn off WiFi while I'm reading, so that when I turn it back on, the next time I open that book it sees that I'm on a different page.  Then it asks me which page I want.  This hasn't happened often enough to annoy me, but seems to be the case.  Does this seem to be the case for others then?

Two things if this is indeed what is happening:

1) Confirmation that syncing is happening, hooray!

2) It's a little too oversensitive now  :smileysad:  Can we get it so that it actually detects a different device and not just a saved page on the account?

Contributor
yooper46
0 Kudos

I do not think this problem has anything to do with WiFi.  I  have not been connected to WiFi on mine since it was new as it draws battery down too quickly.  I still have this problem.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

yooper46 wrote:

I do not think this problem has anything to do with WiFi.  I  have not been connected to WiFi on mine since it was new as it draws battery down too quickly.  I still have this problem.

Just as a test can you try this?I'm wondering if this will fix your particular problem as you say you normally always have WiFi off.

1) Turn WiFi on

2) Open the books mentioned in your earlier message

3) Dismiss the message.

4) Turn WiFi off

5) Open the books again

Is the message still there, or has this cleared the syncing "error"?  I'm just curious if the device needs to sync up with WiFi to clear the message in your case.

Contributor
yooper46
0 Kudos

This problem only happens when I turn the Nook back on. When I go into standby mode the book comes back without the message.

I connected to WiFi as per your directions and went right to the book (no message as the Nook had not been turned off) .  So I waited awhile, disconnected WiFi and then turned the Nook off.  When I turned it back on a went to the book I was reading the message was there again.  As I said, this only started with the latest update.

So I tried another thing.  I connected to WiFi and left it on when I turned the Nook off.  Turned it on and went to the book I was reading.  It brought me to the cover page, but this time my bookmark was still there  and I did not get the message.  So I disconnected WiFi and turned the Nook off and on again and the message is back.  So if I don't want that message I either leave WiFi on or I never turn the Nook off and leave in standby mode. 

There has to be a better fix than this.  It is a pain to have to charge the Nook every day if I leave WiFi on.

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The only ultimate fix (at least it worked for me and some others) is to deregister and reregister. I am guessing, but think there is some problem when connecting with the server and your account. This guess is because I had issues with archiving some books and 1.3 was to help with syncing. Something went wrong here and some NCs seem confused until reregistered.

Once I reregistered and opened books I had started to read before doing so, they were at the last page I had read.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Reader 4
sandyshore
0 Kudos

Ok, so deregistering and reregistering will fix the glitch? It's not a big problem, more an annoyance, just wondering if I'm understanding that this is a fix. I'm also curious since I've not noticed any enhancement or changes other than the page error issue, what did we gain in this upgrade? Perhaps, I'm too new to using the NC and just haven't figured it out. I've not found any new features or enhancements.

deemure
0 Kudos

sandyshore wrote:

Ok, so deregistering and reregistering will fix the glitch? It's not a big problem, more an annoyance, just wondering if I'm understanding that this is a fix. I'm also curious since I've not noticed any enhancement or changes other than the page error issue, what did we gain in this upgrade? Perhaps, I'm too new to using the NC and just haven't figured it out. I've not found any new features or enhancements.

I am of course just a user like you, so I can't say for sure this will work for everybody. It has worked for me and for others. Generally there is a list of things to try before thinking something is just broken. Start with powering off completely, clearing memory, caches, histories, etc., then deregister and reregister, reset to factory settings and reinstall updates. Remove sd cards, backup info on them, reformat them before reinserting them. There are probably other things, but it's often best to start small and with the least annoying.
deemure
0 Kudos

Just to clarify, the items I listed above are not always all needed. Often for some issues just completely turning off the NC will work. This did not work for me. Archiving books did not work. Clearing caches and memory didn't work, deregistering and reregistering did.
Contributor
Sled
0 Kudos

I hadn't seen any replies to this within the last month, so I called tech support. After being put on hold by the first level support person so they could check with the next level, I was told that they think I'll have to deregister and re-register. This means all of the books that I've downloaded from Project Gutenberg, all the books that I've created and downloaded, all the wall paper and other files I've downloaded will be flushed. So, I guess I get to start backing things up to my PC.

I then asked if I'd lose my bookmarks and notes in my Nook books and was told, yes, I would. [I'm not sure this is true as the person I was talking to sounded rather new to the game. How could this be?]

I asked if they were working on a fix for the next release that would resolve the issue without the major hassle that I'm going to have to go through and they couldn't tell me.

I really, really like my Nook Color and have been a big proponent of it ... until now. Not happy that this bug was released into the wild. Not happy with the support. Not happy that there is a possibility that I'll lose notes, bookmarks and all the other things that I've come to enjoy in the Nook Color.

I'm waiting a day or two before doing this, just to see if someone else has any other thoughts.

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

I have gotten this message a few times myself, but the thing is I don't have the B&N app for my phone or on my computer, my NC is my only device/app.  I have been down the line of re-registering my NC once before and am not in the mood to do this again.  After the headaches of reloading all my shelves and sideloading everything again, i'd rather just deal with dismissing the notice.  I have noticed that it seems to happen when I am on my computer and look/purchase something through my online account then I go to my NC and sync my library and start reading with my wifi on. Don't know if there is truely a correlation on that though.  Wish they (B&N) had some additional information they could clue us in with.

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren