Distinguished Correspondent
Nookycooky
0 Kudos

Re: Let's See 'Em!

I LOVE it!  That's the tartan for my clan...the Clan Moffit.  Where did you get it?

Also, I admire you for your thriftiness.:smileyvery-happy: You are an inspiration!

Nookycooky

All charged up and ready to go...my Nook's are too....
Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

PhotobucketThese are pictures of my NookColor in the skin I picked from Decal Girl. I love my skin, but I have a cover too. It's just a plain leather one that doesn't match though, so I don't have pictures of it. I hope to get a teal one that matches soon. :smileyhappy: PhotobucketThis is my main screen now. The wallpaper code came with my skin, so the whole thing matches and I love the effect of the tree sprawling out over the whole device. Photobucket
Spelling is for "loosers."
http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/
Correspondent
vvlovesu
0 Kudos

Omg how did you capture that picture!?!?!?!
Reading isn't a "hobby". It's a lifestyle.
Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

vvlovesu wrote:
Omg how did you capture that picture!?!?!?!
The screenshot?  You hold the home button and then quickly press the volume down button before the volume notification pops up. 

TaterFink

I made the cover for my NC.

cost was $1.00 for the fabric and an afternoon of my time.

I used cardboard for strength and a layer of quilt batting to give

the outside a soft touch.

Here are some pics:

Front Cover

Cover open

I have pockets - matched fabric pattern

slipped in paper to show pockets better

NC and cover in stand for hands

free reading

Stand that I got at Dollar Tree for $1

motorcyclists thought of the day - never put your earplugs in the same pocket with your jellybeans!
Correspondent
vvlovesu

Cool cover :smileyhappy: Oh everytime I press the volume quickly the volume icon just pops up sooo I pressed it once and it work! Baha me a freaking genuis! Muahahaha :smileyvery-happy:

Reading isn't a "hobby". It's a lifestyle.
Contributor
Pink_Freud
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nothing fancy, really, but I like it.  Nice and simple always appeals to me.  Generic Synthetic black leather case bought from some guy on Ebay named crazy_ichiban.  These are his pictures, not mine.

Frequent Contributor
apachedug
0 Kudos

These pictures are really impressive, with the Oberon covers, skins & charms--but being a guy, I really just wanted something clean & simple.   When I bought my NC (online from B&N) I also ordered one of their Dessin Noir covers.  It seemed a little pricey, but I love it--a very supple leather, with a bright tan suede lining.

and finally, this has nothing to do with covers--but I love how my online blog looks on this contraption!  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
SueK315
0 Kudos

Just ordered my skin from Decalgirl.com. Now to save up for my Oberon cover :smileywink: or should I say justify another cover when I just got the B & N cover in Petal.  Very pretty color, but kinda boring.  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1

SandraPants, I LOVE your skin!! I have that one on my wisht list, along with about 15 others!! lol

TaterFink, I think that is so cool that you made your own, it is really cool!!

www.redbubble.com/people/grinch
Reader
MissyB72
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Pink_Freud wrote:

Nothing fancy, really, but I like it.  Nice and simple always appeals to me.  Generic Synthetic black leather case bought from some guy on Ebay named crazy_ichiban.  These are his pictures, not mine.

I bought this same cover but I added my intials on the front cover with stickers I bought at Hobby Lobby. I love the cover as the NC won't fall out.

TaterFink
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Grinchy1,

Thanks!  One day I'll get one of the neat store bought covers but for now, I'm kind of pleased with the one I made.  Just wanted to see if I could do it. 

motorcyclists thought of the day - never put your earplugs in the same pocket with your jellybeans!
TaterFink
0 Kudos

wlovesu,

thanks.  I just wanted to see if I could make one. 

Contributor
Pink_Freud
0 Kudos

MissyB72 wrote:

I bought this same cover but I added my intials on the front cover with stickers I bought at Hobby Lobby. I love the cover as the NC won't fall out.

Yeah, that's the reason I bought it.  It looked like it would hold it inside nice and safe, and I was right.

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

Grinchy1 wrote:

SandraPants, I LOVE your skin!! I have that one on my wisht list, along with about 15 others!

Thanks so much Grinchy!  I just got my Oberon cover today!  It was a birthday present and I chose the "Roof of Heaven" design.  I love it!

Ready to Read!

I'm set now that I have a skin and a cover (Decal Girl and Oberon are the best at their respective options).  Here's the back of my cover:

Back of my Oberon cover

And finally, the charm (I paid extra, because I didn't want the matching sun charm that comes with this design)...

My Oberon Butterfly Charm

Inspired Contributor
MiloSW
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The oberon covers are gorgeous. I only have a BN Lautner cover in walnut. It's not fancy, but it gets the job done. To spruce my NC up I purchased one of the decalgirl skins.

Inspired Contributor
Zxybabydoll
0 Kudos

Taterfink, I was wondering if you had a pattern for that cover? I LOVE LOVE LOVE your homemade cover and would love to try my hand at making myself one also? I am a novice at sewing & I love to practice my sewing skills with new projects... any insight for this project would be helpfull. Thanks in advance for the help from you or anyone else. :-)
TaterFink

Zxybabydoll,
I actually found the basic idea on the internet.  I just embellished it a bit.
I used:  corrugated cardboard (light weight - part of the box my husbands shopvac came in)
    low loft quilt batting (polyester - not cotton)
    fabric of choice
    thread to match fabric (or contrast it that's what you want)
    spray adhesive
    ruler
    pencil
    exacto knife (for cardboard)
    rotary cutter (for fabric)
Place the NC on the cardboard and draw around it to match the shape and size
then move the NC over and draw another outline.  Leaving approx 3/4" space between
the two tracings.  This allows the cover to close over the NC quite well.
 Now, cut out around both tracings (cut approx 1/4" outside your drawn lines.  This gives extra protection to the edges of your NC.   You now have 1 large rectangle that is a total of twice the width of your NC plus the extra 1 1/4" you added (the 3/4"in the middle + the 1/4" you added on each end) and it is the height of your NC + the 1/2" you added (the 1/4" you added to the top and bottom).  I suggest rounding the corners. I did not and I had some trouble trying to miter the corners when I stitched on the binding.  You can use a soda bottle lid, push to the lines in the corners and trace the curve so that the corners are even.
Fabric prep:
Cut 2 pieces of fabric and 1 piece of batting -  a little larger than your cardboard.  You can trim them after they are adhered to the cardboard.
Cut the binding pieces  - approx 2 ½” wide by length determined by circumference of your cardboard piece.
Cut the piece for the retaining straps 1 ½” to 2” wide  and approx 20” long (depends on strap configuration you want)
Cut pieces for pockets  1 or 2 pieces  maybe 5 - 7” wide x the height of you cardboard plus a smidge for trimming.
Trim the middle 3/4" of the cardboard away on the inside of the spine area.  Just score along the two lines that represent the 3/4" space you left between your two tracings.  Careful not to cut all the way thru to the outer layer of your cardboard.  Scrape/pull out the innards of the 3/4" space.  This removes the bulk so the cover will close easily.

POCKETS:-
cut 1 or 2 (depending on whether you want 1 or 2 rows of pockets) pieces of fabric to match the height of your cardboard plus just a bit for good measure.  Trim after assembled, before binding.
 Make them wide enough to fold double  + double  the width of the seam allowance for the binding. (example - figure 2” deep pocket would need approx 5” wide strips.   This folded double would yield a 2 ½” wide strip. ½” would be the seam allowance, 2“ would be the pocket.
If you want  second row of pockets,   use the same idea, but make it wider or narrower depending on what you want.
I used steam a seam tape to attach the pockets to the inside cover piece of fabric. This allowed me to match the pattern (hiding my pockets), I then sewed a decorative stitch down the center making 4 pockets total.  THEN glued it to the cardboard.
Spray the inside part of the cardboard with adhesive.  Place the inside piece of fabric with pockets if you added them gently on the cardboard.  Start in the center (where you removed the excess cardboard), rub the fabric into the groove/spine  and ease up and over the edges of the interior of the spine then smooth out on the inside flaps of the cover.  Once smoothed down, trim excess fabric from edge of cardboard.
Spray the one side of your batting with the adhesive spray and carefully lay the outside cover  piece of fabric on top of the adhesive.  Smooth down with your hands.  Now flip this batting/fabric piece over (batting facing up) and spray that side with adhesive.  Close your cardboard as tho closing a book and place the spine down the middle of your batting/fabric piece and once the cardboard is adhered to the batting, lay the cardboard over to one side so that the batting sticks to one of the flat surfaces of the cardboard, now, lay it over to the other side and smooth with your hands making sure it is secure  -  front, spine and back.  If you just lay the cardboard flat on the batting, it may be too tight to bend at the spine, making it difficult to close.  Once smoothed down, trim excess fabric from edge of cardboard.
Cut a length of fabric, 4 times the width you want your straps to be.  Example - 2” will yield a ½” strap .  Fold fabric in half, width wise and press.  Open up and fold raw edges in to meet on the center press line and press in place.  Now fold in half and press again.  Stitch a 1/8th in seam along open side to close this up.  Measure and determine how long your pieces need to be for the top strap and the two bottom corners.  (I think, if I do another, I’d do all 4 corners instead of the strip across the top.  I had to tighten it up to keep the NC from sliding too freely.  I think the 4 corners would be more secure).   Audition the straps and figure out the angle / placement you want.  Pin in place.  Tack down the ends with the sewing machine placing straps so that the final binding covers / hides the ends of the straps.
Cut 2 or 3 strips of fabric approx 2 1/2" wide (total length enough to exceed the circumference of the cover by a few inches)  I sewed the strips together as I do when preparing a binding for a quilt, at an angle instead of a straight / blunt seam.  This way the seam disappears.  I can explain this more in depth if you'd like.  Also, in hind sight, a binding cut on the bias would go around the corners MUCH easier.   Fold  the binding in half width wise, wrong side in,  you now have a long piece 1 ¼“ wide right side out (do not press) and stitch it to the inside of the cover, raw edge of the binding to the edge of the cardboard, using  a scant 1/4" seam.  When you reach the end, allow for a little overlap and enough to fold the end under so you are not left with a raw edge at the end, cut off the excess binding, open the end and fold down maybe ½“, then refold width.        
Then bring the folded edge of the binding around to the front, making sure the part of the  binding on the front cover lays over (hides) the seam you made when attaching it to the reverse side.  You can now  sew it down from the front. (on a quilt I’d sew in the ditch from the wrong side, but it’d be difficult to do with the cardboard).  I used a denim needle, set a long stitch length and sewed VERY slowly.  Part of the time I stitched by just turning the hand wheel.  Particularly around the corners also shortening the stitches a bit on the corners helps ease around them.  That way I could feel how the needle was reacting to the cardboard.  
I have not added a closure device as yet.  I’ve considered attaching a button to the front cover and a ponytail holder to back to pull up and around the button to close. OR a piece of elastic attached to the back cover top and bottom so I can just pull the elastic over the front cover to hold it closed.    My NC usually sits on the table next to my chair or in my purse when I’m not reading on it.  Keeping it closed  really hasn’t been an issue so, I haven’t worked it out just yet.

I’ve tried to be thorough in my explanation.  I hope I haven’t overwhelmed you.  It really is quite easy

As I said at the top, I found the basic instructions on the web, and I just embellished it a bit.  I’ll look to see if I can find the link again, give credit where credit is due.

If you make a cover, please post pictures.  I’d like to see your interpretation!

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me and I'll try to help.

Contributor
BookNut
0 Kudos

How difficult are skins to put on the Nook?  I'm a bumbling idiot when trying to attach decals, etc.  I ruined 2 screen protectors before I got one on my Nook without bubbles and creases.  Are they easy to get on evenly and straight?

"It all started with a Mouse." ~Walt Disney
Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Wow, TaterFink, you should photograph your steps and submit that as an Instructable!  

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.