Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
KapSukdulan
0 Kudos

Re: Lets show each other some respect.

:smileyvery-happy:

NOOK for China iPad rip-off
DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Derwin wrote:

...  I meant to say "Don't give up HOPE"...not "home".

Note that you can edit your own posts for a limited time, and fix typos.

Sadly, it's "too late" for me to fix the two typos in my antecedent post.

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:
  . . . I am appalled at much of what I see here.  I was hoping that an eReader community just might be a cut above the general population in terms of sohpistication and maturity.

I was wrong.

Maybe you're not wrong about the "cut above" angle, Dean.

Perhaps you've merely misunderestimated the depths of "the general population".:smileyindifferent:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

[ Edited ]

Wow.  I just can't leave you all alone for an hour without this place falling into chaos.  :smileytongue:

I don't really care about the current argument going on.  These observations are general observations about messge boards and the Web.  If they pertain to you, fine.  If not, then I'm not talking to you.

1. Freedom of Speech does not pertain to message boards.  Period.  Anyone who throws out such an argument in the middle of any debate automatically loses.  Freedom of Spech pertains only to the government and its ability to imprision or otherwise prosecute/persecute citizens of the US for speaking their minds about said government.  Private message board are not subject to it and have every right to make their own rules for what is and is not acceptable.
  2. No one has the right to not be offended
  3. Disagreement does not equate to disrespect.  If we all spent more time actually taking a second to try to determine if someone was intentionally attacking us personally, there would be a lot less of these nonsensical arguments.
  4. Threads like this only serve to continue arguments that would have quietly and happily died out much sooner on their own.

That said...

Religious discussions on forums that are not specifically about religion serve no purpose other than to divide and alienate people from each other.  I do not get involved in those conversations and I usually won't--not here, not anywhere.  Not anymore.  My religious beliefs are my own and none of anyone's business.  You will never hear me discuss them unless I am actually personally attacked.  I don't care what you believe; I don't care how passionately or vehemently you believe it.  Just don't expect me or anyone else to believe the same and we can all be friends.

This is a general discussion board for the NOOKcolor.  Yes, it is occasionally fun to branch off into different topics, but it must be kept in mind that this board was created for general discussion about the NOOKcolor--not for general discussion about whatever you want to talk about.  There is a Community Room for that.  I know that after being on a single forum for a while that it can be difficult to remember that we aren't simply a group of regulars who are coming here to hang out with each other.  Yes, there is of course going to be some of that.  That's the nature of the beast.  However, the primary reason for this board's existence must always be remembered.  The vast majority of people who come here do so for help, knowledge, or to discuss their NOOKcolors.  This board's function must be respected. 

If you want to start the occasional off topic thread, fine.  Do so and label it as such in your thread title.  But don't clutter up the entire first page with off topic nonsense.  It's disrespectful and inconsiderate.  Just because the Admins generally can't be bothered with us anymore doesn't mean that we should allow entropy to rule.  Since we so obviously need to police ourselves and our own actions, we need to actually do so.

Distinguished Correspondent
akaCat
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

As an Adroid developer who bought the Nook Color specifically to move an existing application and content (non-controversial) to it, I am appalled at much of what I see here.  I was hoping that an eReader community just might be a cut above the general population in terms of sohpistication and maturity.

I was wrong.

Everyone is stirred up waiting for the update. The longer we wait, the goofier the place gets. And there's really no stopping it until the update comes out.

Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin

In general, your post was very well written, and I agree with it, Nallia. But a major point has to be made in regards to what you were assuming...  I don't think anybody created a thread discussing religion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this started when a person began a thread asking people if anybody knew of a bible that was good for the NOOK COLOR. They wanted one that had certain features, etc, and was just asking for help for this NOOK Community. I think you would be hard pressed to describe that as a religous discussion!

As for as THIS THREAD is concerned... I think it was needed and could actually be of value to this community. As I said, there's nothing wrong with reminding people to be civil, as you have done in your post. I think what you said about this being a community about the NOOK is absolutely correct. People come here (me included) to discuss the NOOK and all things related to the NOOK. Not to get in debates about ANY other issue. And certainly not to have my belief system (or lack thereof) disrespected.

Heck, I just came here to find out more about the update! By the way.... When the heck is this update going to happen?????  LOL

Nallia
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Derwin wrote:

In general, your post was very well written, and I agree with it, Nallia. But a major point has to be made in regards to what you were assuming...  I don't think anybody created a thread discussing religion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this started when a person began a thread asking people if anybody knew of a bible that was good for the NOOK COLOR. They wanted one that had certain features, etc, and was just asking for help for this NOOK Community. I think you would be hard pressed to describe that as a religous discussion!

As for as THIS THREAD is concerned... I think it was needed and could actually be of value to this community. As I said, there's nothing wrong with reminding people to be civil, as you have done in your post. I think what you said about this being a community about the NOOK is absolutely correct. People come here (me included) to discuss the NOOK and all things related to the NOOK. Not to get in debates about ANY other issue. And certainly not to have my belief system (or lack thereof) disrespected.

Heck, I just came here to find out more about the update! By the way.... When the heck is this update going to happen?????  LOL

Ah, but I never said that anyone created a thread to start a religious debate.  I just said that they're pointless and I won't participate in them unless I'm dragged into them with personal attacks.  You will see that I didn't post in that thread.  That's because it had nothing to do with me--I don't carry any religious texts on my NOOKcolor.

Yes, it can be helpful to put out friendly reminders to be civil.  Unfortunately, it's also true that threads like this often just extend and increase ill feelings that would have gone away on their own.  It often happens that these threads are created after everything has pretty much blown over, thus bringing everything up all over again.  These reminders can just as easily be put in the threads where they are actually needed instead of starting a whole new argument.

As I said, my observations dealt with message boards and arguments on the Web in general, not any particular thread or argument.  I don't really know everything that's going on with this argument because I didn't care enough to read all of thep osts in the threads that precipitated this one.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin
0 Kudos

Nallia stated:

These reminders can just as easily be put in the threads where they are actually needed instead of starting a whole new argument.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Yep. That is true. And you made some GREAT points! It would be fantastic if everybody would abide by these points in your post. But, you know what? I think MOST people do. It's probably best if we just totally ignore those that act in a way that isn't to our liking.... just like in the "real" world! lol

Inspired Correspondent
Jinnah

[ Edited ]

Derwin wrote:

I agree.  I originally responded in that other thread (Bible for NC), but the second it got ugly, I just got annoyed.  I couldn't even post in a thread that did pertain to me without the ugliness that followed.  Those comments had nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

As far as this thread, I completely agree with you.  It could be of value if we can all listen to each other and respect each other.  Or everyone can keep insulting, and being rude to, everyone else.  

I completely disagree with Nallia that it serves to keep the argument going that otherwise would have happily died out on it's own.  Sure it may have died out, but it wasn't happily.  As stated, clearly no one is going to moderate this forum (at least not for now) and it would be nice if we could at least try to keep everything civil, and this thread is bringing that to light.  All I am asking for is that we respect each others feelings.  We don't HAVE to, but it would be nice if we did.

Correspondent
Ace7

Everyone just needs to REEEELAX.

It's an internet message board, why get so worked up? You all have real lives don't you? Save the heartache for something important..

At the end of the day, people can say WHATEVER they want, if they get kicked off the board, that's their own fault. They did it knowingly. I, for one, find it entertaining.

Facebook.com/CustomizingYourNookColor
Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin
0 Kudos

So, Jinnah.... Did you ever find a good bible for the NC? I know you were looking for one that had certain features such as easy look-up of scriptures, etc.  Maybe a good verion will be available when the update is made and we have access to a whole new world of apps, etc.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1

I think part of the problem is also we have a lot of new members on these forums.  The members that have been around for a while remind me of how my family/extended family relate to each other - they get on each others nerves and know how to get certain individuals started and which "buttons" to push just to have some "fun".  Member that have been posting or reading these boards for a while sort of know the others personalities and have an easier time telling if someone is serious when they post something or if they are just trying to stir things up (phoneboy, that's usually you) and are therefore less likely to take offense at some of the offending posts.  The new users haven't been here long enough to see how some of the older posters are and how they normally interact with other posters.  I'm sure I didn't word in the best way I could have but either way everyone needs to remember that if you're going to try to start something up expect to get some cr*p in return but preferably just don't try to start stuff up in general.

Nallia
0 Kudos

Jinnah wrote:

Derwin wrote:

I agree.  I originally responded in that other thread (Bible for NC), but the second it got ugly, I just got annoyed.  I couldn't even post in a thread that did pertain to me without the ugliness that followed.  Those comments had nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

As far as this thread, I completely agree with you.  It could be of value if we can all listen to each other and respect each other.  Or everyone can keep insulting, and being rude to, everyone else.  

I completely disagree with Nallia that it serves to keep the argument going that otherwise would have happily died out on it's own.  Sure it may have died out, but it wasn't happily.  As stated, clearly no one is going to moderate this forum (at least not for now) and it would be nice if we could at least try to keep everything civil, and this thread is bringing that to light.  All I am asking for is that we respect each others feelings.  We don't HAVE to, but it would be nice if we did.

Of course you disagree with my opinion.  If you didn't, you wouldn't have started this thread in the first place.  It's OK, though.  Those are my own personal observations, built over the span of over 15 years spent in chat rooms and on forums and other social networking sites; I don't need anyone to agree with me.

Inspired Correspondent
Jinnah
0 Kudos

Okay, Nallia, that's fine.

Derwin, I do have two on my NC that I like, but I don't know the difference because I have only seen the two I have.  What types of features should I be looking for?  *I'm worried about even posting my response on here (because it is off-topic) but if I go post in the other thread, people will think I'm just trying to keep the argument going.  

Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin

Well, I've launched several online communities over the years, and maintaining civility has always been a struggle. I've done my share of "banning" people in forums that I owned, and I've had to delete and/or alter several posts over the years. But if there is civility in any online community, it usually only comes from a few people that have been deemed "trolls". These people just like to stir up trouble at every turn, and enjoy sitting back and watch the flames burn. I've always handled it by handing out warnings, and then eventually banning them if it continued. I've also began threads (as the owner of many forums) where I would remind people to be civil and respect each other. As another member already stated... this is an OPEN forum with new people (such as myself) logging on every day. Some may get become accustomed to the crude remarks of a few members, and not see them as being offensive, but in an open community we shouldn't really act in a way that we wouldn't act if among strangers at a library or other gathering place. Just my opinion.

Inspired Wordsmith
Derwin
0 Kudos

@ Jinnah.... Personally, I don't really know. I guess a nice feature would be the capability of looking up a refence by typing in the location, such as John 3:16, and having the verse pop up in context. Other good features might be integration with a concordance or maps, etc. I have no idea if anything exists out there like that, but it seems like these would be good features.

Nallia

Derwin wrote:

Well, I've launched several online communities over the years, and maintaining civility has always been a struggle. I've done my share of "banning" people in forums that I owned, and I've had to delete and/or alter several posts over the years. But if there is civility in any online community, it usually only comes from a few people that have been deemed "trolls". These people just like to stir up trouble at every turn, and enjoy sitting back and watch the flames burn. I've always handled it by handing out warnings, and then eventually banning them if it continued. I've also began threads (as the owner of many forums) where I would remind people to be civil and respect each other. As another member already stated... this is an OPEN forum with new people (such as myself) logging on every day. Some may get become accustomed to the crude remarks of a few members, and not see them as being offensive, but in an open community we shouldn't really act in a way that we wouldn't act if among strangers at a library or other gathering place. Just my opinion.

I'm not sure what you're defending here.  Have I ever said anything, anywhere on this site, in my 14 months here, that contradicts this?

Whatever.  I have to go check the sticthes on my son's head, change his bandage, finish the three papers I have due today, and get ready for my sister's wedding.  Forgive me if I'm short in my responses or not clear enough.  There's only so much I can type in 10-15 seconds with one hand.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder
0 Kudos

Jinnah -

Is your NC rooted? If so I have a very user friendly Bible on my NC, the YouVersion Bible App. It is very easy to navigate, very easy to use and has several user friendly features, like notes, bookmarks, planner, etc. I like it because it allows for easy highlighting, easliy making notes, and then of course easlily referencing them.

I had tried the e-book versions, but found them difficult to navigate, and quickly find what I was looking for. If not rooted it is easy to do, completely painless and best of all free.

"Keep me, Protect me, Share me, and I Will Live Forever"
From the Kodak Gallery, A powerful & Moving Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWwqAI6x9A
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

[ Edited ]

For the information of those on here that seem determined to misunderstand, Nallia is one of the most helpful, considerate people on this forum.  You might disagree with me, because I tend to be impertinent and seemingly rude in other's eyes, but Nallia is not.

Unfortunately, people often try to read into what other people are saying.  This does no one any service.  I urge you all to read Desiderata and take a chill pill. 

Nallia, if you still are around I do hope your son is doing well.  Hope the wedding is fantastic and that you get some down time.  You are one person that makes this forum a great place.  Anyone that can't see either of those 2 points really has a pessimistic view of things, IMO.

And, by the way I am certain there have been many times Nallia and I have disagreed and I am a huge offender.  She is not.

Respect is a two way street.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Correspondent
akaCat
0 Kudos

Derwin wrote:

@ Jinnah.... Personally, I don't really know. I guess a nice feature would be the capability of looking up a refence by typing in the location, such as John 3:16, and having the verse pop up in context. Other good features might be integration with a concordance or maps, etc. I have no idea if anything exists out there like that, but it seems like these would be good features.

I think you'll need to wait for an app to get that sort of functionality. Happily, it seems like the sort of app that B&N would consider reader oriented, and therefor likely to be in the store.